Sign in to follow this  
Mutani

Sony RX100 III vs RX100 IV comparison, what’s the different?

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.
I recently wanted to buy a portable compact camera to take pictures during my vacation. Sony is the “go-to” brand for cameras, I personally like Sony RX. Then the problem is coming, as the title indicates, Sony RX100 III vs RX100 IV comparison, what’s the different?
Thanks for the help.

What kind of kites are you flying?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is there a particular reason your cell phone isn't sufficient??

You got me curious so I read a bit.Go for the 6.It's lens system does away with the need for any filtering additions. If you have to choose between the 3 and 4 go 4. It has the native 4k and it's slow motion is a lot better.All use Zeiss optics. I'm a mid range Vortex , Leupold type buyer. Looked thru friends and families Zeiss binoculars and rifle scopes. Zeiss optics are the best I've ever seen. Should make whatever Sony you choose worth the money.Way out of my league though. My SJCAM SJ7 Star does all I need. Like my Leupolds if something happened I'd be ticked but not broken hearted.Probably should have that same restraint with kites but I don't.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:40 AM, Mutani said:

Then the problem is coming, as the title indicates, Sony RX100 III vs RX100 IV comparison, what’s the different?

Looking them up quickly on photography comparison sites:

Sensor is different. The IV sensor is slightly better in low light conditions. That's better if you don't have a flash and need to shoot at dusk, but in good light unlikely to matter.

View screen has more pixels on new model. The IV view screen has more dots so it looks prettier, but consumes more batteries. 

Faster continuous shooting on new model, taking a burst of shots can handle a few more images per second.

Higher resolution video in the new camera, from 1080 video to 4K video.

And naturally the newer camera costs more.  There are also the model 5 (V) and 6 (VI).

The features are better than most smart phone cameras, with better glass and a bigger sensor.  Still, the sensor (13.2 x 8.8 mm) is much smaller than a full frame (36 x 24 mm) so it gets about 10% of the light captured compared to a full frame. 

Those are only problems if they are the limiting factors. A great photographer can use a terrible camera and still get amazing shots by leveraging all their technical skill. A novice photographer using world-class equipment will still produce novice shots.

Look at what you are shooting, and why. Ask yourself what limits you from getting the photos you want. If you are limited by your skill, a new lens or new body won't help. If you are limited by lighting or camera speed or sensors, you need a better camera body. If you are limited by lens speed, aperture, chromatic issues, lens flares, or focal length, you need a better lens. If one of those cameras satisfies all your needs, go for it.  The major brands of Canon and Nikon are better for the high-end bodies and lenses.  That camera can produce good results for hobby photography.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 12:46 AM, frob said:

A novice photographer using world-class equipment will still produce novice shots.

A novice flier using world class kites will still produce novice tricks. MUST LEARN TO FLY WITH PURPOSE !!! Err photograph. Sorry it's a kiting thing 😒.