KiteLife Forum

New Member. Cocoa Beach, Florida

Corey Bell

Hi, Corey, and welcome to the forum, as well as the dark side. You'll love quad, eventually. Takes a touch of unlearning after you've been flying duals, but other things you've learned while flying duals will flatten the curve. Good luck. Good wind!

• Like 1

One piece of advice - if no matter what and the kite is going to crash - LET IT!! Step forward, take all the power out. The kite crashes with little impact. Pulling does nothing but drive the kite harder into the ground, risking breakage. Better to go set it back up, than go down and find a broken kite! Learn to "Give to the Kite!!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Klaiber said:

Hi Corey, my parents are in Palm Bay Area. We come down to Sebastian time share a couple times a year. Maybe we can fly some time.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Mike that would be awesome. For now keep your distance... I would hate to trash another flyers kite. I'm hoping by summer to be able to enjoy close proximity flying!! I don't know anyone here that flies quads, yet.

59 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

One piece of advice - if no matter what and the kite is going to crash - LET IT!! Step forward, take all the power out. The kite crashes with little impact. Pulling does nothing but drive the kite harder into the ground, risking breakage. Better to go set it back up, than go down and find a broken kite! Learn to "Give to the Kite!!"

Thank you Wayne, I will try to remember that!! Also thank you for the answers in another post, I'm considering buying them.

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/169948129685788/photos/?tab=album&album_id=412964748717457

Here is the gallery of Shook Masterpiece kites from the beginning to now. Mine is #6. You can get confused by the % system used - it goes like this:

40% - just a little less than a mid

75% - a little more than a mid, but less than a full vent

100% - equal  to a full vent

135% - equal to an Xtra vent

• Thanks 1

Mike that would be awesome. For now keep your distance... I would hate to trash another flyers kite. I'm hoping by summer to be able to enjoy close proximity flying!! I don't know anyone here that flies quads, yet.

Got ya covered with several kites to learn on. Find a nearby kite shop and talk with them too.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Thanks 1

I learned a few things today.

Winds 5 to 9 out of west on the beach with condos and hotels is a lot of work, very spotty. However at a park on the wide open river, much better flying conditions for me.

I like the reflex springs engaged. Tried without, and it's different and will take some getting used to. Seems the window is narrower, a good tug and it will fall out of the sky, I thought it was going to hit me! springs engaged and it floats better after a tug.

Playing with the top lines for more brakes does make a difference, at my level there is such a thing as too much!

A line snag SUCKS!!!!

Keep letting those top lines further out as comfort allows. Try each time out. Eventually you'll feel right at home with max brake and you'll appreciate what it does and wonder why you didn't just start that way. When I let new flyers try one of mine, I only bring the top lines in two or three knots if I'm all the way out. Watch the beginner tutorials on this forum. It's actually easier to start with more brake than it is to unlearn not using enough brake.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 12:02 PM, makatakam said:

Keep letting those top lines further out as comfort allows. Try each time out. Eventually you'll feel right at home with max brake and you'll appreciate what it does and wonder why you didn't just start that way. When I let new flyers try one of mine, I only bring the top lines in two or three knots if I'm all the way out. Watch the beginner tutorials on this forum. It's actually easier to start with more brake than it is to unlearn not using enough brake.

My tops are all the way out now, I have been shortening the bottoms until my new leaders come in. It has helped a lot.