KiteLife Forum

Djinn Day

JWharton

Yes but, I still enjoy the wrapping of the leading edge OVER the top (B-series) and Djinn's attachment method (on the top of the down spars ~ at the leading edge) doesn't allow for that adjustment. That difference makes an easy "Falling Leaf" trick but a much tougher glide (penetrating up-wind for example)

I like a frisbee-like leading edge curvature and not a dinner plate's more abrupt style of edging but I'm sure with time and a few mods I can get it to fly "my way" eventually.

1 hour ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Yes but, I still enjoy the wrapping of the leading edge OVER the top (B-series) and Djinn's attachment method (on the top of the down spars ~ at the leading edge) doesn't allow for that adjustment. That difference makes an easy "Falling Leaf" trick but a much tougher glide (penetrating up-wind for example)

I like a frisbee-like leading edge curvature and not a dinner plate's more abrupt style of edging but I'm sure with time and a few mods I can get it to fly "my way" eventually.

I’m glad all that messy stuff has disappeared from the leading edge, I’m getting zero snags, and seems to be launchable from any ground position, be interested to see what you do to an already incredible sail to make it ‘better’.

• Like 2

Wasn't that bent over LE, a feature on the Speed Series, not the "B"s? Not got a lot of time on the SuperSonic or ShockWave, or even the Blast types, but I remember them having that "over the top" type LE. Stock "B"s or even "B" pros didn't come with that feature - unless you did some modifying!! And I put little past you Paul!!!!

Yes, you add some type of restriction to all that movement along the top leading edge stock bridle (side to side), such that you can pin the knots, washers and attachment elastic crap UNDERNEATH, so you hand can physically fit in between the sail and the frame and not touch either up at the top

here's the test, ....take you kite off of the strings entirely and toss it out, if correct if should fly almost infinitely parallel with the ground a few feet high, literally for several dozens of meters in distance (just like a frisbee would).  It should be effortless too, that is the glide I'm seeking and will make any corrections necessary to accomplish this mission.  I don't have feel-able wind more often than not, so ANY benefit it light wind is to be taken and utilized.

You don't need a new bridle, just enough restriction forced upon it so it can't move,.. to me that is one string from the down-spar end-cap to the center of the leading edge, holding it rigidly in place, arc-welded!  Now with this rigid restriction in place you can rotate and adjust those caps  & such so that the sail is pulled OVER the top, ... not pulled up squarely, rounded YES just like a speed series Rev.  You don't need a reflex mechanism at all, just pinch everything down tight and see for yourself.

This glide gives you up-wind capabilities,... or a catch on 120s!

experiment and see what happens, but just change one variable at a time, comparisons are the easiest testing method I've found, go get a partner and enjoy a cooperative caper together.

Wayne, we can spank a few comparisons out in August together, low wind is best so early mornings,... ok?

• Like 1

Yes. Getting everything as tight as possible on top will roll over the leading to a degree and the change it makes is dramatic. However, like everything else that changes performance it is a compromise. You get more of one, less of the other. Which end of the scale you prefer is part of and also influences your flying style, but it's good to know that what you want is what you can get. I like things tight enough at the top to increase glide for ground recovery a bit, but not enough to hinder axels or to make it want to turn and run away from me on catch and throw. There's a sweet spot to the curve that takes some experimentation to find, and that sweet spot shifts a bit when conditions change. It's a ton of fun once you know how to change the amount of rollover to adjust for the wind conditions. You can tweak it to accommodate line length and wind speed, and it can be a huge bonus in light wind.

I've also played with bowed uprights to simulate Reflex curvature, as well as pieces of rigid foam between the upright and the sail.  Wayne, I recommend that you don't try Paul's setup 'cause you're gonna like it.

• Like 1