KiteLife Forum

WANTED... QUAD LINES WITH HANDLES

Ha!, and how long you've been doing it too Wayne,

accumulating stuff over the years and pretty soon you have a whole bunch too, be they handles or lines or kites or bags or even vehicles to carry it all in!

I think I carry 9 sets with line on 'em (2-15's, 2-19's, indoor rev handles & indoor custom handles, a couple of sets of 13's, a set of TC Ultra handles) and ready to use in a back--pack.

Pretty sure my "A-Bag" (Orvis carry-on) has 14 rev styled kites in it, all totaled something like 60 of these kites exist but most rest at home in the basement

• Like 1

It's good to have more than one set. Get snagless handles if possible. Modify the ones you have to snagless also. Keep it in mind that 120' lines can be cut down to shorter sets when they begin to wear, or even when new for much less than buying separate sets. Make your own sets from bulk line spools for half as much if you have the time and patience.

The more you do yourself, the better you will understand what makes it work the way it does. That can only make you a better pilot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

You can use whatever lines and handles you have with these. No need for duplicate stuff, unless you are just determined to have it. Many function well on just a single set of handles and a few line sets. All depends on your personal "needs".

90 lb 65 ft on the light one? I just thought I would need shorter lines. If the ones I have will work with these great. It would be nice to practice with 120 footers just in case I run across someone else that wants to fly too.

It would be nice to set up two kites ready to go if the wind isn't cooperating, or my thinking I am better than I am and need to switch kites!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Ha!, and how long you've been doing it too Wayne,

accumulating stuff over the years and pretty soon you have a whole bunch too, be they handles or lines or kites or bags or even vehicles to carry it all in!

I think I carry 9 sets with line on 'em (2-15's, 2-19's, indoor rev handles & indoor custom handles, a couple of sets of 13's, a set of TC Ultra handles) and ready to use in a back--pack.

Pretty sure my "A-Bag" (Orvis carry-on) has 14 rev styled kites in it, all totaled something like 60 of these kites exist but most rest at home in the basement

Haha !! wow. Got a set of 120ft. lines needing a second life?

6 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I carry around 6 most times, with three sets of handles (no lines) and about a 1/2 dozen different line sets. Got a whole trunk of "extra gear" I bring with me pretty much all the time. You need something - I might have it!!!

When you go out to just have fun and play, what lines do you use generally?

4 hours ago, makatakam said:

It's good to have more than one set. Get snagless handles if possible. Modify the ones you have to snagless also. Keep it in mind that 120' lines can be cut down to shorter sets when they begin to wear, or even when new for much less than buying separate sets. Make your own sets from bulk line spools for half as much if you have the time and patience.

The more you do yourself, the better you will understand what makes it work the way it does. That can only make you a better pilot.

It looks pretty easy to modify  to snagless. My goal is to become a better pilot!!

25 minutes ago, Corey Bell said:

Really depends on what I'm doing: 

Team flying is 120' x 90/100# most times. We also use 85" x 50# in very light winds.

Alone, it depends again on winds: 75/80' x 90# or the 85' x 50# mostly. Also use my 50' and 30" sets at times, usually for space reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Corey Bell said:

Haha !! wow. Got a set of 120ft. lines needing a second life?

You will be a bit hard pressed to find someone willing to let go of their 120's. Typically the second life for the 120's are 2 sets of shorter lines. Handles, I think you'll find numerous available and quite reasonably priced from within this community.  Lines however are rarely sold second hand unless they are made from a bulk buy or nearly worn out.  This is one item I'd highly advise you buy new and from a reputable dealer. Look for Laser Pro Gold  or Skybond. It's worth the investment.

All other things being equal, the quality of your lines is paramount in performance. Inferior line will definitely limit your ability, limit your learning curve and probably be as expensive as 1st quality gear in the long run.

I use lines from 30' all the way out to 240'. As they wear or break they will become shorter lines. When testing a new kite, I use the 30'. Once proven I use 50's. Due to an promise and regulations, I can't use my longer lines at my normal flying spot.. (Max ceiling for me is 100') I typically err on half that height to be absolutely safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corey Bell said:

When I'm at a regular field I use 120 foot 90#. For quad line winders I've got 15 foot, 40 foot, 50 foot, 85 foot, and 120 foot. Currently I have three winders of 120'@90# in the bag, in case some breaks and I'm flying with a friend, in addition to some dual line sets.

Seconding the opinion to always buying new line, never used, either made yourself or by a reputable dealer.  My family knows it, so I ended up with three new spools of line (50# and 90# LPG) under the Christmas tree.  

Handles are a personal thing.  I would get them separate from the kite, getting a good set. There are many varieties and lengths, 13-inch is common but I prefer 15 inch, sometimes 17 inch when I'm feeling particularly lazy, because long handles mean less hand movement translates into more motion on the kite.  My 15-inch set is my go-to, but I have all three of those sizes in my bag. There is a wide range of handle material, like aluminum, steel, carbon, and wood. There are various versions with metal clips or plastic clips to hold the leaders, and "snagless" varieties with caps for hollow handles or with holes drilled through, potentially with milled ends (my favorite), so there are no metal loops on the handles to snag in your bag.  And that's not all!  Handles come in a variety of angles, grips include fully padded nylon coatings to foam grips to rope wraps around wood, and handles come in a variety of colors.

• Like 2

This site has the cheapest quality line sets available. I prefer Shanti over LPG but I also like to fly 50# x 50' over 90# x 90'. But you need both eventually. http://www.awindofchange.com/product/shanti-set-quad.html I really struggled until i got on the 50x50s. You just got a UL, I'd get a set of 50# x 50s for that sail! The 90 LPGs still have a real lag to to them. I haven't flown on 120's yet,but i'd have to slow down my inputs. When its ripping and the mesh or Spider is on I still feel underlined. I was in your place a few months ago, I've added a Spider vented, built an 100% mesh, a UL B2, working on a Zen sized SUL. Good Luck and pay off your credit card every month. There's a NYM on the for sale thread I'm looking at.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DTill said:

This site has the cheapest quality line sets available. I prefer Shanti over LPG but I also like to fly 50# x 50' over 90# x 90'. But you need both eventually. http://www.awindofchange.com/product/shanti-set-quad.html I really struggled until i got on the 50x50s. You just got a UL, I'd get a set of 50# x 50s for that sail! The 90 LPGs still have a real lag to to them. I haven't flown on 120's yet,but i'd have to slow down my inputs. When its ripping and the mesh or Spider is on I still feel underlined. I was in your place a few months ago, I've added a Spider vented, built an 100% mesh, a UL B2, working on a Zen sized SUL. Good Luck and pay off your credit card every month. There's a NYM on the for sale thread I'm looking at.

One small note when recommending anything other than Skybond or LPG. When flying alone, literally anything with near zero stretch that works for you is ideal. When flying around others, whether team or just sharing the field, please stick to Skybond or LPG. Other lines will easily cut other individual's lines.. One of the main reasons we recommend Skybond and LPG to all is almost zero stretch, great wear capability and most importantly, they play well with others.. Getting the lines crossed with those is far less likely to result in a cut line or downed kite. The Shanti Speedline is IIRC a precursor to the Skybond and should also play well with others. Of that I'm not entirely sure.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Almost every store (online or brick) carry some sort of winder. Laser pro winders, Prism winders, Crazy-8 winders, all will work.  

Got a set of regular handles? Convert them to snagless for only a few bucks! Easy enough to do! Watty did a video on it - step by step.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Almost every store (online or brick) carry some sort of winder. Laser pro winders, Prism winders, Crazy-8 winders, all will work.  

Got a set of regular handles? Convert them to snagless for only a few bucks! Easy enough to do! Watty did a video on it - step by step.

Thank you Wayne. I did convert my only pair (the bottoms for now) to snagless, yes easy enough and I did avoid "THE BURR" thanks to the men and woman who traveled before me!!

• Like 1