KiteLife Forum

Prism Neutrino

windwarrior

• 6 months later...

I was planning a review of the Neutrino. Got a 3-stack and love their flight characteristics for the most part.
The only thing I'd really change are the link line clips that connect the stacks. They tend to come out and sometimes dig into the sail when flying with the stack aggressively. The stack bag is a must (just as it was with microns) if you're planning impromptu soaring sessions. As for build quality, they're different than the microns and would seemingly be cheaper to manufacture but no less fun to fly. No regrets from me so far.....and yes, stronger lines than stock are a must when flying in a stack above 5mph.

Hope this helps,
-8th

I’ve attached a photo of the link line clips mentioned earlier. These are different from the spring clasps that attach line sets to the bridle. The issue I have with this hook style connection is that it can easily snag the sail or dislodge from the frame during acrobatic flight. 

The possible solution is to slide the frame out of the sail enough to connect the link line loops with a larks head knot or to make short attachments for each  of the four link line connections to the frame.

3BD699FA-D423-4D00-9F68-0FE4D99DD8EC.jpeg

I'm guessing the hooks are a compromise for the novice stack flyer. They're relatively easy to attach but not necessary for those of us who have extra bridle line for the frame and are comfortable with knots & loops.

Another thing I'm finding a little bothersome is that the little snap for the tail on the neutrino card winder keeps snagging my lines during unwinding. And the velcro on the winder can catch/tear up the dyneema line if not fully closed. Prism took care of me regarding this, but I'm hoping the design is improved for further production runs.

No experience that matters so to speak in terms of my flying time, but on a whim / impulse purchase i bought a neutrino, a 2nd to stack on, and the neutrino bag.

Flown it once, just the single kite with the tail. It's super fast, responsive, and a ton of fun. Couldn't be happier with it and can't wait to fly it again. Shortly I'll buy a 3rd to stack and another set of lines.

7 hours ago, 8thelephant said:

I'm guessing the hooks are a compromise for the novice stack flyer. They're relatively easy to attach but not necessary for those of us who have extra bridle line for the frame and are comfortable with knots & loops.

Another thing I'm finding a little bothersome is that the little snap for the tail on the neutrino card winder keeps snagging my lines during unwinding. And the velcro on the winder can catch/tear up the dyneema line if not fully closed. Prism took care of me regarding this, but I'm hoping the design is improved for further production runs.

Wait, is there a way to modify the kite and eliminate the hooks????

4 hours ago, windwarrior said:

Wait, is there a way to modify the kite and eliminate the hooks????

Sure is. I take the Link Lines and add a loop to each end that usually has the hooks. These have to be equal length of course. Then I take some economical Dacron line and make loops with large knots for each attachment point. I loop those around the frame with the large knots pointing forward and attach the new Link Line loops to the knots with a larks head.  I've been flying a couple stacked Nexus airframes like this for a while and it takes me about 3-5min to hook the 5 lines together. There hasn't been any noticeable difference in flight performance with the little Dacron lines attached when flying a single kite.

Two of the kites in my stack Neutrino have full bridles, so I just tie them together when using them in the stack.

I have a Neutrino with a second one to add on.

I have flown it for over 40 hours and love it - I like the versatility, and it flies in all but the lightest winds.

As a solo kite it will do simple tricks like 540s, roll ups and Axels. You can then land, clip on the second kite and fly off again remembering to resist the temptation to trick.

I haven't used the stock winder as I find that it is too bulky and the tails are rarely used.

The spine came through the nose webbing, I spoke to Prism and fixed that by relining the pocket and sticking a pvc cap on the spine and I have added shrink wrap to the wing tips to stop them from fraying.

Have fun.

IMG_20190807_083545.jpg

IMG_20190515_122958.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2019 at 2:08 AM, davide63 said:

I have a Neutrino with a second one to add on.

I have flown it for over 40 hours and love it - I like the versatility, and it flies in all but the lightest winds.

As a solo kite it will do simple tricks like 540s, roll ups and Axels. You can then land, clip on the second kite and fly off again remembering to resist the temptation to trick.

I haven't used the stock winder as I find that it is too bulky and the tails are rarely used.

The spine came through the nose webbing, I spoke to Prism and fixed that by relining the pocket and sticking a pvc cap on the spine and I have added shrink wrap to the wing tips to stop them from fraying.

Have fun.

IMG_20190807_083545.jpg

IMG_20190515_122958.jpg

THAT sucks! Prism slacking on the quality or just a lousy design? I've never had that happen to any of my Prism kites. Although it did happen to another brand on the tail side.

Heck, I own a pair of 5 stack Microns and a couple of single ones without any fraying.