KiteLife Forum

Scrapestry III

riffclown

And the first overall look before I start aligning and working out the center pattern.. Center pattern is one of the trickier parts of my builds. Those pieces are individually placed and I have to find colors to keep the same color from being side by side.. It is easier when the kite is lots of colors like this one as I can choose any color from the pallette. It gets much trickier when the kites are 4 colors or less since my standard builds aren't mirrors of the other side but complimentary and offset..

20190107_163204.jpg

• Like 5

Piecework for the center panel is done. Decided on 3 vertical orange panels to define the middle. I tried several pics to get the UV/Flo Yellow effect and got a pretty good capture..

First with the black light only..20190108_201032.jpg

Next is normal light20190108_201111.jpg

Then Both 20190108_201119.jpg

Only this portion of the kite lights up. (unless I decide to use fluorescent thread.)

I have not yet checked the white Dacron to see if it will light up well. Would be an interesting LE effect if it does..

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, riffclown said:

Piecework for the center panel is done. Decided on 3 vertical orange panels to define the middle. I tried several pics to get the UV/Flo Yellow effect and got a pretty good capture..

First with the black light only..20190108_201032.jpg

Next is normal light20190108_201111.jpg

Then Both 20190108_201119.jpg

Only this portion of the kite lights up. (unless I decide to use fluorescent thread.)

I have not yet checked the white Dacron to see if it will light up well. Would be an interesting LE effect if it does..

That is so cool  in the black light!! Looks really nice. Great work

• Thanks 1

Definitely ran into a few issues finishing this kite. I missed a row on my design and the kite ended up slightly off from my desired dimensions.. I added flares to compensate but ended up with a pucker in the center of the LE as it threw off my camber.  I'll trim that out this evening. They aren't all perfect you know..

Edge binding is all flo yellow. 

20190120_172224.jpg

Disaster happened. I start to work on fixing the pucker and marked the relief area. I then dragged the kite towards me not realizing I had my cutting wheel under it... This sail is ruined..

I may remake into a B2 size or something but this sail will not be finished in its present form. Worst case it may still be a flag. I've separate the sail from the leading edge but I''ve lost nearly an inch and a half of height from the overall sail. The sad nature of the diamonds pattern is, repair is far from straightforward as the process to make the diamond pattern stacks every cross-point differently.

I'm weighing options at this point.. I'll be shelving the project until I decide how I want to proceed.

The irony is the sail started as scraps. this might be the one time that goes full circle.