KiteLife Forum

Scrapestry III

riffclown

1 hour ago, riffclown said:

Disaster happened. I start to work on fixing the pucker and marked the relief area. I then dragged the kite towards me not realizing I had my cutting wheel under it... This sail is ruined..

I may remake into a B2 size or something but this sail will not be finished in its present form. Worst case it may still be a flag. I've separate the sail from the leading edge but I''ve lost nearly an inch and a half of height from the overall sail. The sad nature of the diamonds pattern is, repair is far from straightforward as the process to make the diamond pattern stacks every cross-point differently.

I'm weighing options at this point.. I'll be shelving the project until I decide how I want to proceed.

The irony is the sail started as scraps. this might be the one time that goes full circle.

So sorry to hear that happened. 

And I don't want to hit the like button...

• Like 2

OK, I gave the situation time to rest and decided by backing off some of the techniques I usually use near the leading edge (Double Fold, lashing down the uprights tighter.) and leaving out the camber, I could make this sail fairly close to my original intent. The verts are a little tight (which means I'll trim the final frame 1/4" to make this work.  It's not perfect but one I'll gladly fly when conditions warrant.. Normal bridles will work just fine and I have those already tied and ready to install.

Flying video soon I hope.

20190121_100709.jpg

• Like 2

I would lengthen the bungee as opposed to cutting the frame. Just a thought. Won't affect flight, and you still have the option to trim it if absolutely necessary. I used to trim frames to fit the sail and ended up buying many more frames than I needed instead of kites and materials.

9 hours ago, riffclown said:

OK, I gave the situation time to rest and decided by backing off some of the techniques I usually use near the leading edge (Double Fold, lashing down the uprights tighter.) and leaving out the camber, I could make this sail fairly close to my original intent. The verts are a little tight (which means I'll trim the final frame 1/4" to make this work.  It's not perfect but one I'll gladly fly when conditions warrant.. Normal bridles will work just fine and I have those already tied and ready to install.

Flying video soon I hope.

20190121_100709.jpg

I liked this!!

• Like 1