KiteLife Forum

Bridle line questions

Snowlady

Greetings— i’m new to the forum and I don’t get to fly often but we’re going to the coast this weekend and I need some help. Usually, I fly air foil types, single line. My husband gave me this huge squid type kite for Xmas and I think I saw a post that was similar to what I need help with but just in case, I thought i’d ask. It’s a soft, airfoil type, and when you pull it out of the bag, there’s something like 20 lines coming from different sections of the kite. They all come together and at the end, there are 2 knots. The first is right at the end, the second a few inches up the line from it. It didn’t come with anything else. So, I have some 150lb line on my reel and some #6 swivels but the lines coming from the kite, bundled, are way too big to fit through the swivel. I haven’t seen this before as all the kites i’ve had before come ready to fly. Can some explain how the swivel attaches? Do I have to tie another piece of line between the 2 knots? Thanks for the help!

some folks don't like swivels, nor is it required

but YES, tie a line thru the kite's attachment point with some 250# or 500# Dacron braided flying line, say a foot of length after tying it off (with a double stranded overhand knot or a figure of eight knot)

Affix the swivel into that loop BEFORE tying off and attach your flying lines to the swivel afterwards.

Sport kites including Revs, used to come with swivels affixed into the bridle!

Hi, Snowlady, and welcome to the forum.

How big is the kite? 150-lb line may not be strong enough in stronger wind. You don't want to watch your kite free-fly to someplace far away. Also you need to know that a large kite can pull a lot. Enough to cause serious injury if you're not careful. Be sure you don't loop the flying line around any part of your body and that whatever you anchor the line to will hold.