KiteLife Forum

Can anyone I.D. this kite?

IanD

I dropped by the local kite/hobby store this morning and was helping the owner unpack from his recent move to a new location. This kite was stuffed into a yellow nylon bag. No tags on it and no flying line.

There is a "safety" tag that is marked Premier Kites on the sail. No tail. Colour is not my first choice but I will fly it since the owner was going to trash it. 

Tapes out at 56" x 36".

Thinking that I'll have to fly it on at least 120lb dacron.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Ian

premier parafoil.jpg

Parafoil single liner.

With the dimensions you supply, the area is 56”x36”/144= 14 sq ft, so a good size and may well be a strong puller in higher wind. 

Premier still makes them although not sure about that size.  I have the spec sheet for a Sutton Flowform 16 foil that calls for 125# line, so you are in the ballpark. (Into the Wind suggests 90# for a 7.5 sq ft version of its parafoil, and 150# for its flowform 15. Premier’s 7.5 --> 90#.)

The line to use will depend of course on pull, but 120# does not seem excessive, and may or may not be enough, depending what wind you try it in.

A tail may help stabilise if need be -- and/or, possibly consider “line laundry”.

That colour scheme is…kinda retro ;) 

Could be a lot of fun!

The single line experts will chime in with more I expect.

Thanks for the info folks. Had it up for a short fly yesterday in pre storm winds. Got it back down in a hurry. Pulls really hard. Ordered a taper tail for it since all I have for tails are a couple of streamers. Going to dig out the 200lb line as well. 120 seemed a little on the edge.

The "retro" colour is not bad if you are wearing sunglasses :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Just always err on the side of too strong a line, rather than take a chance with too little. Tails and or laundry will add to the load, so be prepared with several different strengths for conditions. 

I have 150 and 200 on order due to arrive later this week. The winds here have been all over the map so will err on the high side. 

Thanks everyone for the input.