KiteLife Forum

LUCKY!!!

Breezin

Went out on the Mind Trick vented with the heavy spreader on 100'x 90# lines. Measured 15 to 20 and was pumped.Winds picked up and was thinking I'd better get the 150#. Pop there goes the 90#. Made it 102' cause well things happen so not a big deal. Back up on the 150# and starting to get in the groove as I do love high wind flying. Once again not paying much attention to the rise in wind. Getting good at pulling off some tricks at the side and as I come back into the power zone exit at an upward angle and head for the top. Then I try moving them closer and closer to the center.Coming out a wind shear, straight line or whatever you want to call it hit.Dirt blowing and me in a hellfire panic. Not even fully in the power zone and I got pulled a good 20 yards trying to maintain control getting to the side.Line didn't break but man I gotta get a 200# set soon. Took what seemed like a good 2 minutes to get the kite belly down nose into the wind.Took every skill I had and was really scared for the kite. Without some high wind flying on the Delta Hawk don't know if I could of done it without crashing the kite.Maybe tumbling it to pieces.NOT FUN AT ALL!!!Had to wait for the wind to drop a bit before taking the kite down and finished in the shed.Wind hit at the right angle to lift the edge of my loafing shed and chicken coops roofing.Roofs have been on for 12 years and have been thru some winds.This is their 1st damage. This time some minor repairs are needed. House and barn are set a little different so I haven't seen any damage. After winds dropped some I got the lines rolled up and measured 40 to 45 mph. Winds have dropped  but I've had enough excitement for the day.Sitting here I'm extremely pleased I got the kite thru that unscathed.Opened the kite back up in the shed. Don't know how there couldn't be some stretch to the sail but I couldn't see anything noticeable YET.Is a Lam kite worth $500.00? After that experience my Mind Trick vented is without a doubt!! Don't EVER want to go thru something like that again. 

• Like 2

No flying yesterday or today cause Sundays fun still hurts. Graph shows at 11:09 wind was 18 at the Yoder weather station. At 11:19 a 42 mph gust hit taking me for the ride. 20 minutes later highest winds were 48 mph. From then on some people were reporting 60 mph hits for about 3 hours.I don't think we got any gust that hard but it was blowing for sure.Wife told me not to fly. Should have listened.Winds 15 to 20 now and I sure want to go bombing around. Keep walking outside and nope don't get stupid cause tomorrow's going to be a great day on the lines.Not SUPPOSED to go over 22 mph. If I get hit like that again I'm going to register a formal complaint :censored:. Just don't know who to complain too LOL.

Folks I flew with yesterday got hit by that wind rolling off the mountains too. They were about 100 miles north in around 5 mph. Wind hit them at 40 mph. One of their kites broke in half when the fella went to recover it.Still feeling awful LUCKY!!

• 1 month later...

Yanked me pretty hard. Took 3 weeks to recover and it's only been about a week and a half that I've been able to really get back in the groove. Been a little tentative about flying in high winds since.Getting over my sissyfication has taken a while LOL.

• Like 2