KiteLife Forum

The next burrito!

DTill

This forum has been pretty slow lately. Hopefully people have been building things this winter. At Riff`s request I'll post up a design build. I built a roll up bag a while back, as a first reintroduction to sewing. It was crude, but kept me and my kites mobile while flying. After a dog pissed in my Dlk bag that was laying on the ground. I decided this was essential. Built the first  bag out of X-Pac fabric from the local store that sells used sporting goods and offers resoleing and sewing repairs. They also have an impressive selection of fabric and notions. Bought , built and sold a few kites and decided it was time for a new bag. This should hold 5-8 Rev's and be seriously over built. Heavy on seatbelt! These pics are of the first bag.

20190219_215620.jpg

20190219_215709.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Built some zippered pockets for lines and handles. This one is going to be wearable while flying but have a little more storage. Buckles are from local climbing company for thier bouldering pads, should be indestructible.

20190219_214824.jpg

Looks rather serious!! Do you like having the strap go all the way to the top? If it's for wearing while flying, putting it up there might make sense. But I've seen a similar rig at WSIKF. Dr. Vernon and the Foster's use something similar to lighten their load. Theirs is more the open top quiver style, carrying 2 or 3 kites.

Because of my team flying, I usually don't carry my kites while flying. We prefer to set up a camp and work out of there.

I made something similar, a roll up bag with cargo-mesh pockets.  In theory it holds up to 15 1.5-size kites plus gear, but I'm still collecting enough kites to prove that number.  It's got 5 big kite pockets each able to hold about 3 kites, plus two more that I subdivided into four pockets for lines, stakes, and other stuff.

To help with dogs, I keep it and the kites dusted with cayenne pepper with a big bottle purchased at Costco. It is enough that dogs quickly lose interest since it is a mild irritant, not put on so thick it could injure them. I've had too many dogs come sniffing my stuff and think the kites are toys to paw through or catch with their teeth. After the pepper dogs are curious but immediately move on. 

Got the three major pieces sewn together today. Pockets are built with 1 1/2 grossgrain, Coats sport zippers, 4- way mesh & 2" seatbelt. Sleeves are built from the same mesh french seamed to 200D double ripstop nylon. Top of the sleeves are edge bound with 1 1/2" grossgrain, 1/2" grossgrain dividing the sleeves, straight stitched and bar tacked at the opening. Next step is hemming the fold over flap and velcro strips. Then edge bind the whole thing in seatbelt. Thinking about capturing some 6mm pultruded tube in the long edges to keep the roll tidy. 

20190224_190427.jpg

20190224_190450.jpg

• Like 2

I would worry about tubes getting crushed. Kite bags often get stepped on and otherwise harshly treated. I agree with Wayne about using rods rather than tubes. As far as tidy is concerned the contents pretty much take care of that. I advise not adding any weight or bulk unless absolutely necessary. You can always rip a seam and add afterwards if you think it needs some help. Not that difficult or time consuming at the edges.

Overall, your design and workmanship look quite appealing.

The resolution on the last two photos doesn't seem as crisp as the earlier ones. Overall it's turning out pretty good. The Brother XR1300 I'm using is probably at it's limit, but I'm taking it slow. This bag is all about using stiffer fabrics and reinforcements, first bag was to light and flimsy.  As far as rods vs tubes, I have the tubes, so tubes. I fly solo and have never seen anyone near me with a quad, or remotely serious about flying. The coast is 200 slow miles away from me, I only get over there 5-6 times a year. I can manage to not step on my own bag. But good recommendations and thanks for following.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Riff. You've helped me out a lot. This one wasn't without it's challenges, seatbelt is some slippery, squirmy stuff to work with. But the finished product is impressive. This is like a pin striped attaché case for kites. I don't really want to set it on the ground, but it's built for abuse.

Looks snazzy.  The black plus grid looks professional and business-like, if you go for that sort of thing. 

So four wide large kite pockets, one narrower, and three small.  How will you handle having *only* 5-8 kites with you? 😉 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Finished another one. This one is a little lighter and while essentially the same design as the last one I changed a few things. Overall dimensions are smaller, used a stiffer mesh for the pockets, 45ed the corners, the flap is a separate panel and I added a spot to clip my stake. I dig the red stitching and how the red flap looks when its rolled up. Just need to hem the webbing tails, stuff padding in the handle  add make a shoulder strap.

20190518_094833.jpg

20190518_094808.jpg

20190518_095008.jpg

• Like 3

Probably not, these are bags for me. I wouldn't feel right selling them as a professionaly sewn bag. They are testing different designs to see what works. The cost of materials is about what you want to pay for a real bag. I've seen the Rev bags and there nice. But I can build one that works better for me. Your looking  at almost  50-80$ it materials. The bags ive built the outer shell is 30$`a yard, then theres zippers, grossgrain, inner fabric, seat belt, basting tape. I would like to get them dialed enough to reproduce the same one over and over, but I know I'm a tinkerer and could never build two the same. That said, I'd trade the last bag for a B2. But then I'd just build a 2 sized kite and a bag for it. The rabbit hole is deep, I think I'll just keep cutting fabric and see what happens.

• Like 2