KiteLife Forum

New pilot with question

Bryant

Hi John and everyone, 

I am from Michigan (Florida near Tampa in the winter). New to flying and this community, but very interested. 

I am wondering how everyone is getting lines of different lengths. All the commercial lines seem to be 80 feet. Do you cut them shorter? Make from scratch? Find a supplier I don't know about?

I think it would help me to have shorter lines at times, especially on a crowded beach, but also when trying to learn recovery launches and possibly other tricks. Any suggestions?

@Bryant Welcome to KiteLife

Many of us buy bulk and make our own. Most reputable kite business carry multiple lengths,

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/categories.php?category=Kite-Line/LPG-90%23-Quad-Sets

https://intothewind.com/stunt-kite-line-and-handles

I personally tend to make longer sets and cut them down as I get wear or breaks.

• Like 1

If you are flying alone you can use whatever lengths you want.

If you want to fly with others, the standard quad-line length is 120-foot line, the standard dual line length is 80-foot(ish) line.  Both of these are common in stores, and if you buy a ready to fly bundle it will probably have those lengths.

(Dual lines groups often fly anywhere from 75-85 foot, they're close enough to the same for group flying, and unless you are on the same exact kites you're likely to have more significant differences than the line length.)

After that, mostly it depends on what, how, and where you are flying.  Longer lines add weight and drag, so trick fliers often use shorter lines.  Very short lines from 30-foot or shorter tend to be unworkable at higher wind speeds, so they often use a lower-strength light line, such as 50# strength or less. Longer lines tend to also use higher strength line, 175#, 200#, and if you're flying power kites 300#, 500# or even 800# line is available.

A Wind Of Change has a good tutorial on lines

Most avid flyers have a variety of line sets in their bag, and choose based on the conditions they are in.  Because they have so many they tend to make their own lines. For your first sets it is easier (but somewhat more costly) to buy pre-stretched sets from a reputable kite shop.

Thanks everyone! VERY helpful! First step I'll try will be to cut down an existing set - the 50/30 plan sounds good. Then, with time I think I'll buy some bulk line and try to make them. It helps to be more independent (not many kite shops in my area), and then I can get more customized to my exact needs.