KiteLife Forum

First Rev benefit to buying new?

gmrviper

I would like to get back into kite flying and buy a quad line kite like a Revolution. I assume I will enjoy it but it is a lot of money for me at this moment. Is there a benefit to buying new or should I just keep searching for used. I assume no one minds a WTB ad in the for sale section also? I enjoy flying any kind of kite but I have never had the chance to try a quad line kite. Now that I am retired seems like its the time to finally give one a try. Thanks for the help and advice. 

Check out Ocean Shores Kites in Washington if this is your first Quad.

Andy has 2 versions of Freilein at different price points but all are under what a new Rev will cost. They are better constructed than Revs and you can talk to Andy about what kind of wind you will most likely fly in. He can get you the best deal on the correct venting (or none at all) for your situation. I love being able to talk to a person that truly has the customer's best interest. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gmrviper said:

I enjoy flying any kind of kite but I have never had the chance to try a quad line kite. Now that I am retired seems like its the time to finally give one a try.

This seems the more important part.

Make contact with someone in your area and try their stuff.  Where are you located?  Many people have a wide range of kites and are willing to let you try their kites.

Flying with other people's kites and equipment gets you some close attention as you learn (since they don't want you to crash their kites), and lets you quickly experience a range of gear.

Also, the price is $0 to try many different varieties. Other people's kites are the best deal out there when first learning.

2 hours ago, gmrviper said:

it is a lot of money for me at this moment.

This is universally true.

Quality kites are expensive, and for the most part you get what you pay for.

The Freilein Vertigo models, and the Rev EXP models, they're both made from heavier/cheaper fabrics than their more expensive brethren. The Revolution EXP is the low-end model and about $200 for the ready to fly kit that includes the kite sail and frame, plus shorter-than-normal lines and cheap handles. The Vertigo is a similar price for similar quality equipment. You can find those entry level kits on ebay and similar for about $200, very near the original price because they often are nearly unused.

Unfortunately, if you get into the hobby seriously, it will only take a small amount of experience to outgrow that cheaper equipment.

If you're looking to go even cheaper, there are knock-off kites for closer to $100, but they have significantly heavier fabric, usually have fiberglass rods (instead of carbon fiber) and have very cheap lines. These will be a quad line kite so you can get exposed to the sport, but they are not kites I would want anyone to learn on, nor used to judge the sport.  I would discourage those kites.

Getting higher grade equipment a "Revolution Classic" is probably the lowest of the good quality quad line kites, and with 120' lines and no-snag handles will cost about $350.  The Freinlein Exodus with lines and handles will be about the same price.  People who get in to the hobby tend to get comfortable on their first kite, then pick up 2-3 more for a wider range of wind conditions, then branch out over time with additional equipment, different line sets, different handles, etc.  The first purchase needs the kite and frame ($200+), the lines (about $75), and handles ($20-$80).

Only you can decide how much money to spend on the hobby.   

• Like 1

My first was a used Revolution Exp Reflex with handles and lines for 100 bucks. They are good to learn how to fly a quad, very forgiving and pretty tough. I put 2 to 3 hours a day for 3 weeks on it and learned the basics from flying it. I'll digress for a moment... Before I got one I studied every video, how to, article, magazine, you name it I read it or watched it before I put my hands on the handles. At the three weeks I also knew the Exp wasn't going to help me move forward. I just wanted to have fun and enjoy the beach more... well once you get hooked you will need more. I call my Exp the gateway quad. I purchased two more Revolution 1.5, a super lightweight and a vented on this site just before Christmas for 100 each. Since flying these My Exp has yet to come out of the bag. It flies great and has it's uses, but there is just something about the 1.5 series that I can really hook up with. 

In the end purchase what you can afford, learn all you can, or unlearn, and fly like no one is looking!!!

• Like 1

Thats a good call on trying out some different models. I live in a big city but we don't have a have any kite groups that I have found anyway. In Eureka Springs,AR they are having their Kite Festival again but I don't recall ever seeing a quad. Might get lucky and get to fly one though. 

I would be real comfortable paying 100-150 for a EXP that way I can get my money back out of it if I don't like it or want to upgrade. 

What will a higher end Quad do that a 200 dollar won't do in the right hands? 

I live in Missouri so our winds are not very consistent. I don't really understand the venting I see mentioned. Should I look for a certain type of venting? Thanks again for all the help. 

As a first quad and EXP is a good deal and will treat you fine. The sail is nylon vs polyester, which a higher end will have. The frame is the same three wrap that the B series and classics have. I've never flown a exp, but if money is an issue, I'd say go with the exp. If your inland, I'd actually recommend a 1.5 SUL to pull you thru the lulls in between the gusts. The biggest difference is the quality of the lines. Exp has cheaper lines than the higher end kites. If you stick with it you'll end up buying them anyway. What's cheaper in the long run?

• Like 1

The site has a voluntary member map (which looks broken at the moment) were people can mark where they live. The map (when it works) is a good place to look for others in your area.

The AKA Calendar is a good resource at finding events.  I see this event in Spiro OK next month listing "professional kite flyers" and some promising photos from previous years, and another festival in Tulsa in May.  An email to the organizers to find out who the professionals are, and another email to those professionals could probably get you some contacts in the region.

come to DC this Sunday!,

we fly the first Sunday of every month

we're a local club flying on the west side of the Washington Monument, a bunch of quad heads w/some other low wind kite stuff thrown in.  you try out each person's kite, get a couple of quick lessons (mine start w/the "cartwheel" ~ roll-over to launch position).  At the end of the day you've tried out a bunch of kites, different handles and different "feels" in the tuning of each pilot's equipment.

If you we're "local" we'd tell you NOT to buy a kite for 2 years, not beginner, or intermediate, not used,.... NO you will buy an expert's kite, but only after knowing exactly what you want, who's to make it, out of what, what conditions it has been crafted to conquer, even what design graphics your heart desires visually!  You won't care what it costs and guess what ,we will all want a turn on your magnificent flying device too!

Take some money you'd allocate to kites and go to a festival instead, find a willing coach (we all did this!!!!). You will save thousands of dollars and years of frustration!!!!  You make find out you don't even like this crap at all.

If our locals have to spend money they get advised to buy a Gortex rain suit for alaskan guides and appropriate shoes that can stand in ankle deep mud.  see there's really no bad weather, only a poorly equipped kite flier.  Don't you EVER be cold or wet, don't you ever doubt that a few of us are out there flying in rain blowing sideways with the temperature of 35 degrees either.

A bag of quads can conquer any weather, just like golf clubs, you don't know which one you will next, but you carry e'm all, one for indoors, no wind, slight wind, mid-wind, high wind, dangerous wind and even underwater, lights, radios, music players, tarps, chairs lunch, a cart to hall all of this crap.  There's no hurry my friend, see the future though, you are on the way to towing a trailer, LOL!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

You will save thousands of dollars and years of frustration!!!!  

OMG I may STILL be doing this stuff all wrong 🤣!!!

2 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

see there's really no bad weather, only a poorly equipped kite flier.  Don't you EVER be cold or wet, don't you ever doubt that a few of us are out there flying in rain blowing sideways with the temperature of 35 degrees either.

Yesterday freezing fog ALL FREAKING DAY and didn't fly.Today I'll have some nice smooth low winds with temps in the upper 50s. Probably get a sunburn. Sunday it'll be in the 20s, high gusty winds with 2 to 5 inches of snow.Probably catch a cold.Be fun though :kid_happy:!! 

16 hours ago, gmrviper said:

I live in Missouri

6 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

come to DC this Sunday!

That's a LONG drive to try out the kites.

Even so ...

6 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

Take some money you'd allocate to kites and go to a festival instead, find a willing coach (we all did this!!!!). You will save thousands of dollars and years of frustration!!!!  You make find out you don't even like this crap at all.

Potentially well worth it, although closer events will be easier on the pocket book. Even if you've got your inexpensive beginner kite, a day working with some experienced or professional folks will simplify the discovery.

You can still learn on your own. People do it.  I first learned to fly dual line as a kid in a field by myself in the pre-Internet era, with some old kite magazine descriptions and the dream that maybe someday I would see a kite festival. Decades later I learned to fly quad line watching hours and hours of videos and asking questions. It is possible.

Even though you can probably do it alone, it is so much easier having someone who can observe and give corrections instantly, or who can demonstrate as you repeat and copy the motions.

• Like 1

There will be many kite festivals throughout the Midwest this year once the weather warms. Just Google "kite festival 2019" and attend what's close enough. Ask here and we can tell you if there will be any quad flyers there.

You can get a new quad kite, including lines and handles (Rev EXP) from on-line shops for about $210 average. Start with a full sail for your area (I'm in Illinois) for starters, and fly it only in the middle of the stated wind range until you're no longer crashing. You can learn alone as I did, but it would be very much easier and quicker if you can get some pointers from someone with experience. You can keep an eye on eBay. Used kites show up there frequently. Make sure the one you want comes with lines and handles.

If you must learn on your own, watch the beginner tutorial videos on this forum. Watch them many times. Everything John says and shows you in them is Gospel. Once you get the hang of controlling the kite you can deviate to suit your style, but until then do exactly as instructed and it will eliminate most of the most common obstacles new flyers face.

Smile, have fun, and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, only skimmed the replies.

First kite, I wouldn't be to set on a crispy new sail. A second hand one still flies as good BUT there is a major plus. When you crash it you won't feel as bad. You have more confidence and will be a little more willing to try things if it has a few hours on the clock.

Pilots are upgrading all the time and some offload their used sails quite cheaply to replenish the hard earned spent on their new bird.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

I have a few Revs I will be parting with real soon......however they will not include lines or handles.

I'm in transit so I can  PM you later when I get home....waiting for a ferry at present.....

bt

ps.....forgot this part....I haven't posted or sold very much from this site but have bought and sold many kites through the GWTW forum over the years......

1 hour ago, mebeatee said:

I have a few Revs I will be parting with real soon......however they will not include lines or handles.

I'm in transit so I can  PM you later when I get home....waiting for a ferry at present.....

bt

ps.....forgot this part....I haven't posted or sold very much from this site but have bought and sold many kites through the GWTW forum over the years......

Great sounds good I’ll keep an eye out for your message.

I would recommend that if possible - get 2 kites - a full sail and a full vent. Lines and handles of course. The  2 sails will cover the most wind range. Maybe not the extremes at both ends, but can handle everything in between. Used is a good way to go. Most of us use a number system to indicate condition, 1 being beat to heck, 10 being brand new condition. Decent used kites fall into the 7-9 range mostly, all depends on how each person views it. The biggest thing to look for are tears or splits in the mesh on the leading edge. Another are little cracks or  splits along the vertical shafts. Usually either give a good idea on how much it has been flown.

Stock handles are fine to learn on, so to most lines. Usually 80' or so, give or take 5'. 120' is the standard for team flying. Not needed to learn on if not readily available. Also, until you are pretty confident, I would stay away from really short lines. I know they have their place, but things happen pretty fast the shorter the line. Stick to 75'-85' to start.

If there is one piece of advise I can give - learn to "Give to the Kite"! Don't pull if crashing is inevitable. All pulling does is drive the kite harder into the ground, increasing the chance of breakage. Just let your arms out, step forward a step or 3, worst case - drop the handles!! This takes all the drive out of the kite and lets it fall more gently.

Welcome to the fun!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I would recommend that if possible - get 2 kites - a full sail and a full vent. Lines and handles of course. The  2 sails will cover the most wind range. Maybe not the extremes at both ends, but can handle everything in between. Used is a good way to go. Most of us use a number system to indicate condition, 1 being beat to heck, 10 being brand new condition. Decent used kites fall into the 7-9 range mostly, all depends on how each person views it. The biggest thing to look for are tears or splits in the mesh on the leading edge. Another are little cracks or  splits along the vertical shafts. Usually either give a good idea on how much it has been flown.

Stock handles are fine to learn on, so to most lines. Usually 80' or so, give or take 5'. 120' is the standard for team flying. Not needed to learn on if not readily available. Also, until you are pretty confident, I would stay away from really short lines. I know they have their place, but things happen pretty fast the shorter the line. Stick to 75'-85' to start.

If there is one piece of advise I can give - learn to "Give to the Kite"! Don't pull if crashing is inevitable. All pulling does is drive the kite harder into the ground, increasing the chance of breakage. Just let your arms out, step forward a step or 3, worst case - drop the handles!! This takes all the drive out of the kite and lets it fall more gently.

Welcome to the fun!!!

Thanks for the advice WAYNE. I have flown dual line kites for a while but I don't think much of that will transfer over to a quad. Like you were talking about taking tension off a line in a crash, I've always done that on my dual line kites. 

I went ahead and ordered a Rev EXP a few minutes ago. Pro Kite USA had a 15% off coupon so it was a good price I could afford. I think they have already shipped it so maybe the weather will warm up and I can get it out sometime this week. In the mean time ill keep watching videos! Looking forward to trying it out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I would recommend that if possible - get 2 kites - a full sail and a full vent. 

Don't fly quads yet but that's what I have in the kite shed for when I start.Rev 1.5 SLE full vent(used) and a B series standard (subscriber prize ).50# x 75', 90# x 120" and 150# x 100' Laser Pro lines.Stock handles that came with the B series that aren't modded to snagless yet.Kite Connection a couple months ago had the best price I found on 90# LPG bulk line. 100' lines have been my favorite since I started flying. Lately 120' and 125' have really been connecting. Imagine it'll be the same process on quads. 65' lines seem pretty short for me.My 75' on SUL duals feels short most days.  Hey you'll see what's going on easier though.Enjoy the peewaddins out of your new kite :mf_crackegg:.

Watch John's line management tutorial til you're sick of it - then watch it some more!!! That will save you so much aggravation - guaranteed! Carry a Sharpie if need be, to mark the lower lines. I myself use a 4 color code to separate the  top/ bottom, left/right  sets  I had a stroke years ago, it keeps me sorted out. But I use John's system and it is tried and true - it works, trust it!

• Like 2

Another tip - NEVER have someone else wind up your lines!! They are a mess? You are to blame! Not the wife, kids, or guy you just met on the field!! YOU!!

Here's a bit of a chuckle for those reading and know the pain:

I used to wind my lines on a single winder, but as separate pairs. I would larkshead the left pair together, then straight wind them on, Go back to the kite and larkshead the right pair and figure 8 those over the others. 2 trips. One day, I'm at a clinic of John's and it's time to pack up. So I start my routine of two lines and look over to see John. There's just the hint of a smile creeping into his face as he sees me doing my thing. I yell out - " I know this works!" to him. He looks at me and says - "But I know this works too!" Anyway we all pack up.  So the next time I'm alone, I decide to test his method. I had some 50' lines and figured - if they get in a mess, it's only 50', not 120's, so let's try this. So I tried and it worked! Next time I tried it on 80' - it worked again! Finally I used it on 120's - yes!!

Now I have some very minor differences that are my own, but all the basics are still in use! I prefer to use 2 stakes. After hooking up lines to handles, I separate the handles by a couple feet. Then I unwind to the kite end. If you have wound them before, there should be 2 pairs. Take a pair in each hand and spread your hands apart. All the wraps you saw unwinding, should fall out. If you are like me and my color code, you can trade hands around to end.up with the sets completely separated, using a little pressure on them. Hook up your kite and ready to go with just a twist in a pair or so - no biggie. Another way is to stick a finger between the pairs as you unwind. If they haven't passed through each other, you should be able  to end up with pairs again. 

No matter what method you end up using - IF IT WORKS and you're comfortable with it - DO IT THE SAME WAY - EVERY TIME! Make it habit. The less you mess with the process, the better off!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1