KiteLife Forum

New sewing machine.

DTill

I've been useing a brother xr 1300, following  pfaff 1222's on ebay. Are there any other machines in should be looking for? Looking for heavy duty with a walking  foot. All and any old pfaff's, Japanese built Kenmore, whites, singer heavy duty44__ series? 

• Like 2

Picked up a Singer kinda "Heavy Duty 4432" for 25$ at a thrift store today. Almost grabbed a Sears Kenmore 1311 made in Japan w/ a 1.2amp motor earlier. This was to new and cheap to pass up.20190312_180325.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

15535695670411367015870.jpg15535697640761647293401.jpg Then I  picked up this beauty. White model 8000, Made in Japan. Super smooth, pedal feed. 19.99 at a local thrift store. Start trolling the stores, this stuff is out there! Just ordered a walking foot and some bobbins for 20$.

• Like 1

Harold (Kitsquid) Ames had an industrial sewing machine that could stitch a couple of times THRU a quarter.  

He could source kite building stuff from Mars. I could buy a 1/4 width but Squid gets a six inch roll!  We had some great times doing cooperative building projects together.  Alas other interests have been deemed more important, but I miss the big fella

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently picked up a pfaff 1214 from craigslist for $200. 

So far it seems to work fairly well. I have been working on heavy duty projects like a fur suit for my daughter and some thicker material for covering my kite buggy while transporting it on the back of my car. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also picked up a Singer 500a "Rocketeer" from facebook marketplace. Only has a couple of chips in the paint.   It is one of the last all metal gear machines built by Singer. I like that the multi step zig zag on the S20190518_072225.thumb.jpg.a194c9c7ec42d8ac14ab670f13334106.jpginger is more adjustable than on the Phaff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been having some issues with the pfaff. The bobbin timing doesn't seem to hold a set. One local store told me to trash to and buy a more modern  machine. I'd  like some opinions, does anyone need a 1222 parts machine? I'd rather fix it than part it out. Is it worth sending to brubacker`s sewing  for a repair. Seems to be the Pfaff guy.https://brubakerssewing.com/welcome-2/parts-service/  

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/10/2019 at 10:00 PM, DTill said:

I've been useing a brother xr 1300, following  pfaff 1222's on ebay. Are there any other machines in should be looking for? Looking for heavy duty with a walking  foot. All and any old pfaff's, Japanese built Kenmore, whites, singer heavy duty44__ series? 

I can not figure out how to adjust the timing of the bobbin and the hook CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME nobody on the internet has a 1300 it’s hard to find any help.

• 3 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 1:10 AM, DTill said:

Picked up a Singer kinda "Heavy Duty 4432" for 25$ at a thrift store today. Almost grabbed a Sears Kenmore 1311 made in Japan w/ a 1.2amp motor earlier. This was to new and cheap to pass up.20190312_180325.jpg

Is the Singer 4432 okay for stunt kite kite making? How have you got on with it? I'm wondering about getting a 4411. I'd only be making a few kites and repairs for myself. 

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...

Long time kite flier and many other hobby flying things.  Have built flying models of all sorts for decades, but never have attempted to sew!  It is time I dive into this and want to over the winter months.  Reading through the above posts which are a couple of years old, I wonder what the current recommendation for a starter sewing machine would be?  Any new recommendations?   thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have no special recommendations on witch machine you "should" buy as it seems that most machines has their own shortcomings. (new /old/plastics/metal/longevity/features/condition) I could think of a couple of things that may be helpful and one is "walking foot" and also make sure you get the 3 stitch zigzag. 

Most consumer oriented machines has comparable power(might need some help for many layers of dacron at low speeds.)

Sewingmachines are fascinating little machines.