KiteLife Forum

Which one??

riffclown

3 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

#1 and #5 are pretty sweet, but I would like them symmetrical. My preference!

#3 is nice due to the contrast of colors.

#2 gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!

I'm not helping, am I?

Yes you are.. you eliminated #4 from your range..

FWIW, due to the way my build technique works, to make a sail Symmetrical, I have to actually make 2 sails..

10 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Is that due to no center panel or........

FWIW, a center panel would actually make my kites easier to construct.. The piecework in the middle is the most difficult part of the build.

The strips from one side construct the strips for the other side.. As I flip them over and marry to the other side the design becomes purely complimentary but never symmetrical. Fold my kites in half and hold them up to the light and you will see only stripes, not the diamonds per say.

For instance, on pic #1, notice the red on one side is white on the other unless it's a strip from LE to TE like the first stripe of blue.. #5 is only symmetrical until the strip direction changes and then becomes complimentary.. It's kind of hard to explain but the key point is it produces a good pattern with almost no waste.. I'll fold a sail and take a backlit picture this evening to show you th effect.. it's actually pretty cool to see..

• Thanks 1

Much as I like #1 I also think #2 would look fantastic against a blue sky. Had a Nighthawk with similar colors. Thought it was kinda blah until I put it in the air. Then a big OH MY.#4 would give a similar effect drawing your eyes towards center.Nitpicking though cause I like them all.Black and white seem like really. Couldn't come up with some colors eh. Then you see them in the air and it's another OH MY moment.I'd take #3.Think the pattern layout is the coolest.#5's pattern is a close 2nd.

• Like 2

I'm partial to #2. I already had a bunch of of kites in similar sunburst colors, so the "hot fade" Djinn was my automatic choice when picking those up.  That yellow to red burst looks good, although I'd probably swap out the green in the middle with white instead.

My second choice would be #4, it looks like a plaid or woven color pattern, even though it might not stand out against the sky very well they're soothing to me.  #1 or #5 only if you're looking for something to fly in July.

OK, Decision is made and fabric has been cut.. There will be 2 sails made on this run because I'm taking @Wayne Dowler comment to heart to make this symmetrical, I actually have to because of one simple decision. I'm also going with a solid blue center panel similar to #1 but using the stripe pattern of #5. @Breezin gave me the idea to mix it up and yet I still wanted to do something different entirely. It's kind of difficult to see in the video but every other white diamond is actually white poly mesh.

This will be my first diamonds VENTED. To balance the venting I'll have to make 2 very similar sails..

• Like 1

After looking at it closely, I think I've decided to make a smaller (72") sized sail. I can do that using just the overlaps. Since it's my first vented, I don't want to have to make 2 if the design doesn't hold well. Everything outside of the rulers would become waste (or part of the bag.)

20190330_130234.jpg

• Like 1

Getting there.. Quite a bit will come off the trailing edge during the final cut but I decided on a Keystone shaped center panel with an applique star. Ready to join the three panels and start sewing..Using Red thread for this kite. Edge Binding will be Red.

20190330_203427.jpg

20190330_203451.jpg

• Like 4

The final trim is far from done. It will likely lose 1-2 inches of the Blue center panel when cut down to size. It's intentionally oversized at this point because it's far easier to remove excess materiel than it is to add additional. Also keep in mind this was originally cut down from a 1.5 size so I do have excess fabric to work with on several measurements. The LE tabs are only on both sides for the enter and where a spar would attach.. The reinforcement tabs are one side only. Once the LE is centered and attached, I'll trim the sail including the Trailing Edge to its final dimensions. At that point it will be edge binding, framing and bridling left. Done sewing for the weekend. Will likely finish this up one evening or next weekend.

• Like 1