KiteLife Forum

Help please

Scooter

Hi all I  have a pretty simple problem. I am not sure if it's normal or not. So I am asking. I have had my Symphony beach 180 for about a month now. Today when starting to fly I noticed some fraying on the bridal. I don't think this is normal wear but not sure.  More preface it is my first dual line kite. And we have mastered the art of the crash repeatedly. As normal for a new flyer. But I can not think of anything I have done to Frey the bridal lines.  The next q is can it be fixed by using some cheap kite line and tying a pig tail to take the stress off of the original line? Or do I need to do something else? Any advice would be appreciated pics are of concerned area .

Thanks in advance.

Scott

20190326_154113-3120x2340-2340x1755-3120x2340.jpg

20190326_154120-3120x2340.jpg

That looks like the bridle was caught on grass or a twig or something and it unraveled the bridle line a bit. It's not normal wear. It's actual damage.  It will be weaker there for sure.  It can be repaired but you have to be super careful not to alter the bridle design trying to repair it. If you apply tension to the segment does it straighten back out or is something else going on? Use the yellow circles to to see where I'm talking about applying tension. If it straightens back out, you may be OK. If something else is going on a repair on some level is probably in order.

If you do decide to repair it, find the corresponding bridle segment on the other side and us it as your model to repair this piece.. IIRC, The Symphony Beach uses Dyneema Bridles and the flying line that comes with it is very close to the same material. If ALL else fails you can shorten your flying lines by a few feet to get the material needed for the repair. Make sure you look up how to untie the knots and move the sleeves up before making any attempt to cut anything.

20190326_154120-3120x2340.jpg.60acf315dbf027ce3172255f641ee38a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many points on the kite does that bridle leg attach to? Does it fan out and go to more than one? In other words, how many points on the sail does it support? Does it affect the way the kite flies? If there's no adverse effect on the kite's performance, I would just fly the kite as it is and wait until it parts. It doesn't support more than about 1/8th (perhaps less) of the pull, and will probably hold for much longer than you would imagine. What I'm saying here is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even when that leg breaks the kite will probably still fly quite well.

22 hours ago, riffclown said:

That looks like the bridle was caught on grass or a twig or something and it unraveled the bridle line a bit. It's not normal wear. It's actual damage.  It will be weaker there for sure.  It can be repaired but you have to be super careful not to alter the bridle design trying to repair it. If you apply tension to the segment does it straighten back out or is something else going on? Use the yellow circles to to see where I'm talking about applying tension. If it straightens back out, you may be OK. If something else is going on a repair on some level is probably in order.

If you do decide to repair it, find the corresponding bridle segment on the other side and us it as your model to repair this piece.. IIRC, The Symphony Beach uses Dyneema Bridles and the flying line that comes with it is very close to the same material. If ALL else fails you can shorten your flying lines by a few feet to get the material needed for the repair. Make sure you look up how to untie the knots and move the sleeves up before making any attempt to cut anything.

Thanks rif clown. I wasn't sure what I did. . Great advice

6 hours ago, makatakam said:

How many points on the kite does that bridle leg attach to? Does it fan out and go to more than one? In other words, how many points on the sail does it support? Does it affect the way the kite flies? If there's no adverse effect on the kite's performance, I would just fly the kite as it is and wait until it parts. It doesn't support more than about 1/8th (perhaps less) of the pull, and will probably hold for much longer than you would imagine. What I'm saying here is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even when that leg breaks the kite will probably still fly quite well.

It only goes to one point second one in the middle. Thanks for the advice.

20190326_154113-3120x2340-2340x1755-3120x2340.jpg

22 hours ago, riffclown said:

Great advice thank you for the response. I  had no idea what I did. I'll try to put some tension on it hope it straightens out.. I didn't know that the bridal was Dyneema Also. So if I fix it guess I need to practice my splicing.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:06 PM, riffclown said:

Ok so I put tension between the mentioned points and the line is closer to normal. But still a bit freyed tried. To twist back into shape between fingers  and it's better. I'll keep an eye on it and see where it goes from here.

Anyone have a source for Dyneema line if I do need replacement bridal?. The idea of cutting the line is great but seems like something I should keep on hand.