KiteLife Forum

Octopus kite buy/ build

Vojta

Dear kiters,

I am quite fascinated about inflatable arms of octopus kites. Side question: is there any simmilar type of kite? Inflatable, moving, rotating parts? Octopus is nothing unique and I would love to stay with what I like about octopus but be more unique.

The main thing:

Have somebody tried making their own octopus kite? Before we dive into how, I would like to discuss if its worth it. I can buy 40$ 8m octopus from china , the price for ripstop nylon is about 30$ for1,5x10 m. So is it worth the effort?

I am just starting with kites (have only one delta) thus have no ideo if I want 8m or larger octopus, but I like to make stuff, so I consider learning new thing and build it by myself.

I hope you have a fantastic day :)

"Worth it" is always relative to the person and their circumstances. For some people it is, and other people it is not. 

People build the kites, both from existing plans and from their own designs. People make all kinds of wild and wacky designs and show them off at kite shows and other events. Sometimes they fly well, sometimes they are best as decorations.

If you have interest in doing it, and have the time and money for it, then go for it. There are many web sites with kite plans that range from simple to advanced skill requirements. 

I personally wouldn't start out with an 8 meter project, but if you're comfortable with sewing large objects already then it might be an okay place to start.  That's a lot of fabric to work with, especially if you've never built a kite before.  You might instead start by making smaller (and simpler) sleds and foils to gain some experience. They would be easier to learn how to sew the kites and how to rig the bridles. 

Making your own can be very rewarding and frustrating , I'd start off making somthing smaller than an 8m puss If buying do your home work, some fly better than others and details on the smaller ones are generally not as good as on the larger ones. I bought the one in the picture it is around 90 feet, has 3d suckers and eyes. Smaller versions of this kite have flat eyes and suckers . you can also get squid and jelly fish. Good luck with this and happy shopping or sewing .20180626_172733.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

Thank you very much for your replies :)

For everyone interested in built/ buy octopus kite there's what I have found + my decesion:

Since I want to begin with something smaller than 30m octopus :D, already have a line and want to see the octopus live, then take inspiration from that (now I got no exp with kitemaking or inflanteble kites at all).

Regarding the above points, buy is a clear choice.

I picked up a cheap 4 meter octopus on eBay all in all I think I have about ten bucks in it .first flight brought me ten bucks worth of smiles I am sure. I can't make it for what I have in it. On the small version arms are nylon ribbon. Got mine here https://www.ebay.com/itm/4M-Single-Line-Stunt-Red-Octopus-Power-Sport-Flying-Kite-Outdoor-Activity-Toy/113663191477?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Lots of fun sorry my pic stinks 

20190313_151107-3120x2340.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am a newbie to, tto kites. i have just transfered from shop brought cheap kites to decent but not top quality kites.

The jump in costs is considerable. i can buy a 8m puss from china for £30 delivered and ready to go, i also cant buy the material to make it and then add time to sew it plus delivery and handling. I can also buy a 8m2 lifter kite from new zealand for £300 plus postage, real kites i have found cost real money and will last a real long time. my cheap chinese kite for a few pounds will only last a few flys.

I brought a roko kite last year, cheap as chips to buy, after the second flight i was sewing seams back together, after the fourth flight i am now the proud owner of a roko wall hanging ordiment as it would never fly again, the seams were to thin and pulled apart, the material is a tough as wet tissue paper and the rods are made from black painted bamboo thats just as nasty as can be, even though the chinese translation of cheap nasty black painted bamboo is " carbon fibre"??????????? who knew??

With making kites, theres only two real reasons to both as its cheaper to pay and buy them.

1, you want your kite, made by you, for you,, designed by you and its a one off never to be made by anyone else, no matter what the costs and when we do it at home belive me its not going to be cheap, but its going to have that  quailty level you have set  your self and those design features you thing a kite should have,andbecaause of that it is going to be perfectly priced. all of the hand made kite i have ever seen are beautiful one off's that could never be made in a mass prroduced factory

2, the only other reason is to make a kite to sell it to someone else

• Like 1