KiteLife Forum

First Kaiju

KiteKouple

• 5 months later...

So I know this is a low wind, indoor kite, but I am wondering how it might do in low winds, outside on a longer line set.  Say 75'.

I live inland, Salt Lake City, and the winds are pretty unpredictable and since I am a fairly new flier, I would like something that I can fly when the wind is really down.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

1 hour ago, Lon said:

So I know this is a low wind, indoor kite, but I am wondering how it might do in low winds, outside on a longer line set.  Say 75'.

I live inland, Salt Lake City, and the winds are pretty unpredictable and since I am a fairly new flier, I would like something that I can fly when the wind is really down.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

I haven't flown mine on longer lines so couldn't say,

1 hour ago, Lon said:

I live inland, Salt Lake City, and the winds are pretty unpredictable

Winds are highly variable around the city.  Before I moved I flew frequently on the terraced fields behind the Keans Olympic Oval, they tended to have somewhat decent yet still variable winds. There are plenty of places that create natural wind funnels, especially parks near valleys can get a strong but turbulent breeze.  I never found a place (other than flying out on Antelope Island) that didn't have turbulent winds. Urban flying with short lines is certainly possible around downtown, buildings create their own wind.

I've flown mine a few times outdoors on calm days, including when returning to visit family, but always worry about a gust hitting the kite's breaking strength when flying outdoors. It hasn't broken for me yet, breaking strength is learned through experience. 

So can one fly this outside on 75’ lines?  I know it is more of an indoor, short line kite, but I’m looking for a light wind kite I can use outside. 
Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks for the replies guys. Is there perhaps another option you might suggest?

Can you? Sure.  With a 60-inch wingspan it's a little small, but it would certainly fly. 

Just be sure the wind is very light, and understand you're taking a bit of a risk in case of a sudden gust or a hard landing.  Worst case you're out $125.

I don't think any of us are concerned about the staying aloft aspect. 

A nosedive from 7' the kite can handle. A nosedive from 75' will likely break at least one part. 

Turbulence and gusts with a 30' window can quickly be flown to the lower power edges of the window. With 75' that's significantly more time under strong or turbulent wind, more likely to break it. 

If I were to risk the kite outdoors on 75', I certainly would not allow a beginner to touch the lines, and at all times be ready for emergency recovery. 

I have tried flying a Kaiju on 75' lines as an experiment. One of the festivals I go to, there is next to no wind in the morning and the advertised start time of the festival is usually a little before the wind picks up. So, I was experimenting with what I could fly a routine with in those conditions. Given that I only had 90# line, the 75' lines created a lot of drag. The kite itself was rather floaty, but I could not control it very well because I would lose "tension" in the lines. They were too long (and heavy) so they felt too spongy. Granted, the wind was also not coming from a steady direction, so the kite would get pushed around in ways I didn't want it to and I couldn't give it the direct inputs I wanted to. 50# line probably would have helped, but it's still a lot of length to drag around for a kite that you don't want so much wind that it pulls hard enough. Can it be flown outside on 75' lines? Yes. Will it help a beginner be less frustrated? Not likely. 

• Like 1

Spent the big bucks on a Lam AC SUL because of wind range and Lams just a phone call away. Living inland the rollercoaster winds are a issue in choosing a SUL. Yesterday winds were 0 to 3 for a couple hours with bumps getting close to 10. Was on 50# x 75' lines. Got 50' and 32' sets but I suck on the shorter lines with full size kites. Lam said to get a 20# x 75' set for the 0 to 3. Even on the AC I can feel the spongy that Dragonfish describes with 50# until about 2. Issue for me is the bumps I usually get would break 20# lines. The last 2 gusts were getting pretty high. Headed for the edge, put the kite down and measured 13 mph. Kite was done for the day. Only other SUL kites I found that can consistently handle hits like that are from Air One in France. Most SUL's top out at 6 or 7 mph. That's why I spent the money.Never flown one but for the cost to a beginner the Prism 4D is one to consider. Really thought about getting a GPS II that does similar things like the Level One Amazing and Kaiju. It comes in 2 sizes and outdoors it's a 30' line kite. It'll handle 10 mph hits but pricey. For a good hour yesterday flying with 10' lines on the leeward side of my barn I  would have had more fun on a Kaiju. Today is the first cold day of the season and winds gusting well over 30 mph. Not in the mood sigh. Thinking about a I flite again LOL.

Thanks for your thoughts dragonfish.  Obviously from what you are sayin and considering my experience level, I would not want to fly the Kaiju on a long set of lines!

Breezin, you make me chuckle and in a very good way!  I always enjoy reading what you post😂. I am a little interested in the new TICA 2020 and I will take a look at the Lam you mentioned. You must have a very impressive collection of kites.

We did have some ok wind yesterday and I was able to get my new hydra in the air for a bit. I did my first trick and got it on its backside🤔. But then I was like, oh no, what do I do know. It all worked out and it continued to fly!

Don't be afraid of taking it outside and using longer lines. It's not what it was built for but will handle some wind easily. If you get hit by a gust just let go of one or both handles. But you have to stay ready and anticipate the gust constantly, so don't wrap the handles around your wrists. Hold them in a manner that will allow you to drop them in a hurry.