KiteLife Forum

Learning to Trick

xjclassic

I got into kiting last year.  Really went nuts for two line foils even got into a couple full blown traction or power kites.  Probably bought 12 foils last year.  Had an old Prism trick kite I bought years ago can't remember the model and can't find it.  Decided I wanted another kite for tricks and picked up an Hypnotist.  Only flew it twice last year can't do any tricks lol.  This year picked up a E3 special edition color and a 4D in throwback colors.  I love the look of the E3 and really wanted something for light winds  I just keep buying kites and have more I want but can't justify yet. I'm sure you guys can understand.  It's a sickness. I've spent a few grand so far and think I need to find a support group.

I really need to get some basics for tricks.  Can you recommend the best place to learn some moves.  I have an old Prism video I bought 15 years ago but can't find it.

Figured the Hypnotist will be my learning kite as it appears fairly robust and durable.

You have what you need as far as kites. Getting any more will just slow your learning curve. All you need is time on the lines and a positive attitude. It will be frustrating, it took me over a year to learn how to axel, for example. Watch all the videos out there, you can learn from any one. Youtube is an amazing resource.

Here's a link to your missing Prism video...

http://ferob.com/kites/Prism/PDVD.wmv

It's available on Utoob as well, but I think if you burn the file to a DVD, it will be close to the original. Mine was on tape, so it wasn't HD.

Good luck !

If you can find a duel line clinic like JB put on last year it will shorten the learning process tremendously. Or find a festival to attend and start talking with the flyers. Most of them are happy to give pointers and love to talk with fellow fliers.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, xjclassic said:

I need to find a support group.

YOU HAVE!!!. It just supports your current affliction :cat_evil:. Been at this since 11/17. First started by watching Dodd Gross and Prism tutorials. Kiting began as rehab from a back injury and found I couldn't really move well enough to emulate those videos. Began watching Randy Greenaway and DPMama74 the most. They're tutorial moves were easier for me to physically follow. Still use Dodd's a lot because his points of timing are excellent. Icky tv is fantastic. Not tutorial stuff but conveys the joy of excellent flying extremely well. Like Rob and many others I've had to learn on my own thru videos and forums.EVERY trick has it's stall point. Sooo learning the different types of stalls throughout the window in any wind speed I fly in is the most important skill for me. Something I practice EVERY time out. Not exactly knowing(comete) or not acknowledging the stall point(cascade) leads to my highest rates of failure. Become as ambidextrous as you can.If all one does is right rotating 540's left of center 20' off the ground ya won't catch but maybe 15% of the tricks potential. Even if they're flawless.Catch one center window 5' off the ground successfully in 10 mph I swear you'll giggle for days. Even if it takes days to repeat somewhere in your mind or body there will be the memory of success.Getting hooked on that remembering will drive you to more and more difficult things.Alas 😞 to even the impossible. That leads to some very disturbing sounds such as snap, crackle and pop.Kites are relatively cheap and easy to fix though so go for the gusto. Okay most times easy to fix. Okay cheap compared to uhhh 🤔.Well I don't know what except days of NOT flying can become awful costly to my well being.Does that make me a kite addict. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! NEVER admit that to anyone unless on this forum or speaking very softly to another kiter when in a public place. You might scare off a potential flier before the hook can be set.I agree with Rob but you should look at his bevy of kites. Just researching what he has will gain you a ton of knowledge. Only got to spend about 2 1/2 hours flying today. Even though I got some high end kites spent the time on my Sky Dog Black Dog. Tricky little thing and didn't cost as much as your Hypnotist. Point is a high dollar ( IMO worth every penny) kite won't make a newbie magically better. Some would just frustrate. Yup it truly is time on the lines but hey time on the lines is the point of flying in the 1st place. Learning to trick will make you laugh at yourself repeatedly or you'll have to quit from the insanity of it all  😱.  If you're feeling somewhat addicted may I suggest the Premier Addiction. If feeling this stuff might be getting a little crazy may I suggest a Flexifoil Psycho. If you think it maybe possible to get tired of this stuff in the foreseeable future may I suggest the Elliot Burnout.SEE I'm SUPPORTING!! Keep on spinning the wheel little hamster. Tricking won't get you anywhere even after a whole day of flying your butt off. You're pretty much standing in the same place ya started at the end of the day.Get used to birds looking at you like your kinda stupid.It's not that bad after awhile. Hey though, take my 2 cents with a grain of salt.Just trying to be part of the Kite Life Support Group. It's here 24/7 for anyone in need. Hello I'm Breezin and I'm a Kite Nut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Breezin said:

If you're feeling somewhat addicted may I suggest the Premier Addiction. If feeling this stuff might be getting a little crazy may I suggest a Flexifoil Psycho. If you think it maybe possible to get tired of this stuff in the foreseeable future may I suggest the Elliot Burnout.SEE I'm SUPPORTING!!

Thank you for your support lol.  My biggest problem is the shape and color and appearance of a kite pulls me in.  All I can imagine is what it looks like lit up in a blue sky.  I can only fly one at a time and buying the e3 was simply for the look of it.  I know its a pretty good kite and I can grow a lot with it but I can't puch the Hypnotist to its limit for a while.  It currently is assembled in the spare room.  I open to door just to look at it a couple times a day.  My wife actually fosters this addiction.   

I am the same way. I like the way it looks, have to have it ! That, of course is how I ended up with a ridiculous number of kites in my basement. People who really know how to fly told me to pick a kite and stick with it until I learn how to fly. That may be one reason my learning curve has been so slow.

I also have a hard time watching the videos and telling which way the kite is facing sometimes. Then I get out to the field, and everything that I watched goes straight out of my head and I am just flying to keep the kite off of the ground. Throw in a healthy case of dyslexia... well, you can see where this is going.

Patience, perseverance, and lots of time on the lines will pay dividends down the road. If you're younger, this will all happen quicker. What the others have said about finding someone to fly with is very true. I have taught others tricks that took me months (sometimes longer) to learn in less than a half hour.

• Like 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 3:24 PM, cerfvoliste said:

Search Dodd Gross Flight School On YouTube

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

I have been watching Dodd recently.  Thanks for the tip.  Haven't had good weather lately so only flying foils.  Winds 15-30 mph.  Waiting for 8-12 to try some trick practice.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:24 PM, Breezin said:

YOU HAVE!!!. It just supports your current affliction :cat_evil:. Been at this since 11/17. First started by watching Dodd Gross and Prism tutorials. Kiting began as rehab from a back injury and found I couldn't really move well enough to emulate those videos. Began watching Randy Greenaway and DPMama74 the most. They're tutorial moves were easier for me to physically follow. Still use Dodd's a lot because his points of timing are excellent. Icky tv is fantastic. Not tutorial stuff but conveys the joy of excellent flying extremely well. Like Rob and many others I've had to learn on my own thru videos and forums.EVERY trick has it's stall point. Sooo learning the different types of stalls throughout the window in any wind speed I fly in is the most important skill for me. Something I practice EVERY time out. Not exactly knowing(comete) or not acknowledging the stall point(cascade) leads to my highest rates of failure. Become as ambidextrous as you can.If all one does is right rotating 540's left of center 20' off the ground ya won't catch but maybe 15% of the tricks potential. Even if they're flawless.Catch one center window 5' off the ground successfully in 10 mph I swear you'll giggle for days. Even if it takes days to repeat somewhere in your mind or body there will be the memory of success.Getting hooked on that remembering will drive you to more and more difficult things.Alas 😞 to even the impossible. That leads to some very disturbing sounds such as snap, crackle and pop.Kites are relatively cheap and easy to fix though so go for the gusto. Okay most times easy to fix. Okay cheap compared to uhhh 🤔.Well I don't know what except days of NOT flying can become awful costly to my well being.Does that make me a kite addict. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! NEVER admit that to anyone unless on this forum or speaking very softly to another kiter when in a public place. You might scare off a potential flier before the hook can be set.I agree with Rob but you should look at his bevy of kites. Just researching what he has will gain you a ton of knowledge. Only got to spend about 2 1/2 hours flying today. Even though I got some high end kites spent the time on my Sky Dog Black Dog. Tricky little thing and didn't cost as much as your Hypnotist. Point is a high dollar ( IMO worth every penny) kite won't make a newbie magically better. Some would just frustrate. Yup it truly is time on the lines but hey time on the lines is the point of flying in the 1st place. Learning to trick will make you laugh at yourself repeatedly or you'll have to quit from the insanity of it all  😱.  If you're feeling somewhat addicted may I suggest the Premier Addiction. If feeling this stuff might be getting a little crazy may I suggest a Flexifoil Psycho. If you think it maybe possible to get tired of this stuff in the foreseeable future may I suggest the Elliot Burnout.SEE I'm SUPPORTING!! Keep on spinning the wheel little hamster. Tricking won't get you anywhere even after a whole day of flying your butt off. You're pretty much standing in the same place ya started at the end of the day.Get used to birds looking at you like your kinda stupid.It's not that bad after awhile. Hey though, take my 2 cents with a grain of salt.Just trying to be part of the Kite Life Support Group. It's here 24/7 for anyone in need. Hello I'm Breezin and I'm a Kite Nut.

Well said I am so proud to be part of this addiction therapy. You guy have me beet thought. I am still at the stage where I do equal amounts of flying and walking. Still haven't mastered the recoveries .   Yet

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finding someone in person is always the best, but one really helpful thing you can do is to cut yourself a set of 30~50ft lines. It's save you a lot of walking, and at that distance, you can see what's happening much better as well as have way less input lag.

• 3 weeks later...