KiteLife Forum

Framing mesh kites?

DTill

Just ordered enough material for 4-6 new kites. Some will be built using Gomberg tails, others built from polymax from flymart. This question should probably Pmed to Riff but thought I'd share it. Ordered some new frames in P2X & P3x ,from  "Kites and fun things" that I later found are sold out. Does one frame these in P300 - 400's, or frame them lighter. Will P-200-300's be fine. thinking about ordering 10 P100's & 10 P200S. I've done some with 3PT's as uprights and liked the results. going to go the cheap route and only run blems, as I've only had one bad one. Thoughts? DT

I typically order the P2X camo  & P4X camo rods. they work great. Light wind kites I frame P2X.  Oversize, I'll swap out the center for P4X. Sometimes I'll swap out the whole frame depending on the kite. The P2x red rods are pretty much the same as the P2x camo. I haven't done one so light that I would use a tapered frame yet. There is merit to a tapered frame in ultralight applications but I personally havenot done it.  For the record, I've yet to break a camo rod. 

Our outdoor Phoenix kites are using P100, P300, and P400 SkyShark rods. One of our team members went with P2's once as a trial, but a piece of the LE broke. Typically P2's are used as dually frame parts, as they don't have as big a distance to span. Plus the dually designs usually don't put as big a stress on them. P90 is as light as I've seen on quads.

Would like to just clarify some of the terminology with regards to Skyshark. Please correct me if I've said anything in error here.

P200 is pretty close to P2X, P2X Red and P2X Camo

P300 is pretty close to P3X Red

P400 is pretty close to P4X, P4X Red and P4X Camo

Now a P2T, P3T etc.. would be a tapered rod and is a different animal entirely. The tapered rods are used more often in the Duallies as you suggested.

concerning the P2X Red and P3X Red Rods 

XT =Tapers

XL = Extra Long

Per Kites and Fun things Website

P2XRED wrapped carbon tubes are 31.5" long. They are similar to our PXSeries tubes but have a 15" red center. The P2XRed has an O.D. of .294 and I.D. is .244 at 16.5 grams, similar stiff to a P200 and the 3XRED has an O.D. of .297, an I.D. of .244 and weighs 18 grams. Very similar in stiffness to our p300.
2RED3XA

FWIW, I keep a P90 frame in my bag right beside the Rev Diamond frame.

Only going to use tapered rods in the verticals on one kite. Every thing else will be standard frames. I'll  probably order some Px 2&3 frames in red or camo. Whatever is available. Thanks for the input. And thanks Wayne for the indoor lessons. It was nice to meet you.

• Like 1

I use a tapered 2P in my 1.5 SULs as the vertical.   Heck I even have a set for my Zen (oh man are they ever delicate, NO hard flailing allowed)

The one I prefer is called a "Response" it's painted and silky smooth finished, alas long since discontinued too.  I have 'em in different strengths.  Like a set in my Shook Mesh Hybrid 75%.  It carries the 150 CLX fat spars in the LE (more curvature OVER the leading edge make a better glide, ~ like a frisbee compared to a dinner plate)

The SULs get one that weighs 12 grams @ 32-1/2 inches long.  I cut down the FAT end to fit, keeping as much bottom strength as possible.  The tube is also reinforced thru the use of Magic Sticks pushing from the other side. "Response 12"

Through the use of a tapered down spar you have effectively pushed more weight towards the LE, in my opinion that always helps create a better glide.  Add a little momentum and you can fly when others struggle.  something for nothing! You can go further to the outside edge of the wind window too.

Keep the hard flailers away or at least warn 'em, if you've framed very light w/tapered tubes

These tubes were blemished and got 'em for a like 2 bucks a piece, easily 15 years ago.  So although delicate don't think they aren't durable.  Skyshark makes a great product for a profoundly ridiculously low price.

Try a set of their fat tubes (CLX-150's?) too.  The whole frame is like $36.  Insane value, I mostly only use the LE unless it's really bookin' outside. NOTE:  This tube REQUIRES Rev end caps, other knock-off brand caps will have to be swapped out.

Experimenting with the "travel-frame format" allows even more personal adjustments to be found.  Plus it breaks down smaller