KiteLife Forum

Complete newbie here

chewie8han

I just came back from the Outer Banks in NC. I had a great week down at the beach (except when TS Alberto came through). The first 2 days I was down there, Kitty Hawk Kites was having a Kite Festival on the sand dunes. I got down there too late on Saturday but was able to go for a couple of hours on Sunday. Boy was that more fun than I expected. The had a ton of large kites flying. There were even stunt kite (2 line) lessons being given, but every time I went by they either weren't doing it, or there was a HUGE line.

Long story short, I saw a guy off by himself flying what I think was a Rev 1.5 SLE. My wife and I stood there for probably 20 minutes watching him. I finally got up the nerve to ask him how in the world he can make the kite do that. I'd never seen a quad kite before. He showed me the basics and had me up and flying it myself in about 2 minutes. It wasn't hard at all (let's just say I didn't crash like I expected to, but it wasn't pretty).

Anyway, so now I want to get a quad kite too. My problem now is... WHICH ONE??? I first wanted to get a Rev 1.5 SLE because that's what I think he was using, and it seems pretty highly reguarded. However, would I be better off with a Rev EXP since I have all of 15 minutes of experience with ANY stunt kite? I've found an EXP for $140, and a 1.5 SLE for $220. However, I've also found a Spirit quad for $110.

Which kite would work best for me? I want one that's going to be able to withstand some crashes (onto hard ground, not sand) but not pay a ton of money. I don't really know what the wind is like around me. Some days it's pretty non-existant, but other day's it's pretty breazy.

What are your suggestions for a complete newbie? I dont want to spend $100-$200 and end up with a kite that will break on the first crash. On the other hand, I don't want to get one that is so durable, it's not that great of a flyer. I also don't have anyone around (that I know of) that would be able to teach me. I saw the Rev's come with a video, but do the Spirits?

Sorry this is so long winded!!!

Thanks!!

Kevin

As you may be able to tell from the avatar to the left of my message, I am very fond of my Spirit Quads. I think they are an excellent kite to learn with, as they are in many respects more forgiving than the Rev kites, but they are also very capable stunt flyers. And they make an outstanding stack that won't pull your arms out!

;)

What are your suggestions for a complete newbie? I dont want to spend $100-$200 and end up with a kite that will break on the first crash. On the other hand, I don't want to get one that is so durable, it's not that great of a flyer. I also don't have anyone around (that I know of) that would be able to teach me. I saw the Rev's come with a video, but do the Spirits?

I myself have yet to run across a broken SLE rod. I'm sure people have done it, but, not that I've seen...so, they are pretty damn tough.

Hehehe.. A Revolution 1.5 SLE and get a 3 wrap " leading edge", which is the longest edge that when leading first is forward.

The are the best. All the quads have their own characteristics. Some are wonderful quads like the Spirt, and some are not. (I won't mention names) But the Revoltuion is the most versitile. Enjoy! You'll never look back.

BB

Penny

Chewie

I have only recently started flying Revs and was recommended to get a Rev 1 (cheaper than a 1.5 SLE and more docile) and buy some SLE rods for the Rev 1 when I can afford it. I've never regretted it, thoughI did weaken and buy a 1.5 SLE but that was because it has a custom made sail from PBSK.

Well so far it appears that I should be looking at the 1.5 SLE. I'm still wondering about the much cheaper Spirit.

Dorsal, what do you mean that the Spirit is more forgiving than a Rev? Do the Spirits come with any kind of instructions/demonstrations? Like I said, I don't have anyone around that can teach me (unless someone here is near West Chester, PA). Would I still be able to use the online technique tips from the Revolution website with the Spirits? I'm assuming there wouldn't be much of a difference in controlling the two.

It's a shame that people don't learn on both kites at the same time to give an honest... this one is easier more reliable kite review. People learn on one then take those skills to the other.

Thanks for all the help. Any additional info and other opinions would be great.

Kevin

Personal taste is a heavy player here... But, I'd recommend the 1.5 SLE... You'll NEVER break the SLE rods, and the 1.5 is the most precise quad line kite in it's price range, hands down.

Spend the extra $, you won't regret it. ;)

Another factor with the 1.5... You can always buy lighter frames for the same sail, and change them in/out with ease.

But, I'd recommend the 1.5 SLE... You'll NEVER break the SLE rods, and the 1.5 is the most precise quad

lol

Evidently John was not at Long Beach the first year Joe brought the SLE up. I think it was Barbara who waited so patiently for a lesson from Joe himself, who broke the leading edge on a crash and they did not have another leading edge piece with them. Before I even got to try it!!!

So "Never" might be a bit strong. Almost Never...

BB

Penny

Kevin -

What I meant by "more forgiving" is that the Spirit bridling system allows you to adjust the amount the center panel is allowed to flare backwards, dumping air. The flexible center panel of the Spirit allows the sail to flex and let gusts of wind out without forcing the kite to zoom or suddenly pull. When flying in light winds, you adjust the center of the bridle right up against the sail, keeping in as much wind as possible - and when in winds above 8 mph, you can adjust the center of the bridle out to the next knot, away from the sail, allowing more wind to slip out of the sail.

If you want to keep the sail fully inflated, simply tighten up slightly on the "brake" lines, because both of the lower lines are cross-attached to the center lower connection, so that automatically brings the center lower panel forward. Describing it is difficult, but the adjustments are very simple.

However, because the sail is more flexible than a Rev, they do fly more slowly. I think that is a blessing, especially for someone who is learning, because it gives the learner more time to think and react.

Oh, another benefit is the Spirit comes with "quad sticks" built in. They stick out of the back of the kite, which allows you to let the kite rest on the ground in a flight-ready position, but because of the design of the sail, it can never launch itself like a Rev can. And the slight bow in the sail allows you to take the kite off from any position, even face-down. I've learned how to get a Rev back into flight from this position, but it was very frustrating to learn, and I hate walking to a kite to stand the !@#$!@$#! thing back up again!

About instructions, New Tech has them on their website.

http://www.newtechkites.com/instructions/I...SPIRIT-QUAD.pdf

http://www.newtechkites.com/instructions/SpiritMOD1.pdf

http://www.newtechkites.com/instructions/SpiritMOD2.pdf

By the way, I am not sponsored by New Tech or paid in any way for extolling the virtues of the Spirit kites - I really do like them. That is not to suggest that anyone on this Forum is sponsored in any way by Rev - it is just to emphasize that I am expressing my opinion, as is everyone else here. You will undoubtedly buy a Rev or two in the future (I have 6 different ones myself), but I just think the Spirit is the best one to start with. ;)

Dorsal, that's just the type of information that I'm looking for. Of course, I don't fully understand most of what you put in the beginning of your post, but I get your drift.

I like the idea of the quad sticks too. I don't think my wife would think too kindly of the "go pick up my kite" comments.

Thanks for all the info, everyone!

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I just started with the Spirit quad, and it's a blast. I had only the information that was downloaded from New Tech kites. It was really easy to learn, not that I'm an expert yet. I broke the center spar in my Spirit from flying it on a gusty day, SNAP, right in mid-air. It was easy to fix, it's really the only part that can break. Since then, I've crashed it every way imaginable, and it didn't break.

If you've all ready got the quad line basics, you should have no problem flying the Spirit.

-Rob.

From a newbie who had the same thing happen to him while visiting the Outer Banks and was totally amazed at the flyers on Jockey's Ridge I was hooked as well. As a birthday surprise, my wife took me to Ocean City, MD this April for a competition and while there I got enough nerve to talk to a guy who was flying a REVII like a champ. He showed me the basics as I had only flown quad foils but never a framed quad.

And now to the point of the story, I personally went with the 1.5 SUL (because of the wind conditions where I live) and have dropped it many times without breaking the "Professional Use" spars. So now I own a 1.5SUL, STD, and VTD. Just in case I make it back to Ocean City I will be prepared because unfortunately the wind at the competition was so strong, while spectating I only got to fly my Stacker 6.

But I am going to get a spirit because every post that Dorsal leaves he swears by those things. :)

-KiT

Forum Member #777

Arsenal Inventory:

REV1.5 SLE,STD,VTD | Airbow | Blade3 3m

Prism Mirage | Tori Tako Blk Magic | Stacker 6

• 2 weeks later...

i too a newbie here looking for the light at the end of the cave found a sprit for about $85. at Sea Side Kites.com and FunWithWind.com has free shipment for anything over $30. check them out the lowest i found the rev price was $139. for the Rev EXP :P

Will John Barresi i too know both owners at Sea Side Kites and Fun With Wind i driven to both stores to buy stuff from and had long talks with both of them, its Sea Side Kites that had the Sprit for $85. and Fun With Wind has it for $100. so who has it under prices here, now the only problem i had with Sea Side Kites is that i went there looking to buy something an we strated talking bout DVD's for stunt kites , i told him that Fun With Wind let me BARROW one an to return it whin i got done with it , i didn't want to keep it long because i live about 1 1/2hr away from him i did not know when i would have time to get it back ,so i took it home that night an i just made copy it for my self with out him knowing it , i return it the next day , will the NEXT DAY Sea Side Kites reported it to Some Kite Rep that Fun With Wind was making Coppys of DVD's an SELLING the COPPYS so if these are your kind of kite community people you like to back up , will it must rubb off too in your small kite community. i like talking to both about kites even thou they have there differences i consider both kite people witch help me get started in this sport, i never had a problem with Fun With Wind he had help me fix my kite and gave me tips on how to fly better too and he doesn't sell REV's at all i have to go to Sea Side Kites :shifty:

I am a newbie too, but just to answer the first question, several months ago I bought an EXP. It is a fab kite and I learnt loads on it...BUT I am now going to buy the SLR, so I would definately recomend that one first, if you have the extra dosh.

Mind you, I am now hooked, and I'm also getting the SUL, and am looking with envious eyes at the vented, and the blast looks fun too....

I've been watching my local weather a lot lately, and they pretty much keep saying the wind is 5-10 mph. That seems to coincide with this web page http://www.city-data.com/city/Parkesburg-Pennsylvania.html

If I go up to the school (which is on a hill) I'll probably have some higher wind, but I can't be certain. Which kite works best in these conditions? I've heard the Spirit takes a little more wind to get going than the Rev 1.5. I've thought about the SUL but I don't think it would be strong enough for the higher end and the gusts.

Any one know where I might be able to pick up a cheap wind gauge (portable preferably) to check out my local wind conditions.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin -

What I meant by "more forgiving" is that the Spirit bridling system allows you to adjust the amount the center panel is allowed to flare backwards, dumping air. The flexible center panel of the Spirit allows the sail to flex and let gusts of wind out without forcing the kite to zoom or suddenly pull. When flying in light winds, you adjust the center of the bridle right up against the sail, keeping in as much wind as possible - and when in winds above 8 mph, you can adjust the center of the bridle out to the next knot, away from the sail, allowing more wind to slip out of the sail.

If you want to keep the sail fully inflated, simply tighten up slightly on the "brake" lines, because both of the lower lines are cross-attached to the center lower connection, so that automatically brings the center lower panel forward. Describing it is difficult, but the adjustments are very simple.

However, because the sail is more flexible than a Rev, they do fly more slowly. I think that is a blessing, especially for someone who is learning, because it gives the learner more time to think and react.

Oh, another benefit is the Spirit comes with "quad sticks" built in. They stick out of the back of the kite, which allows you to let the kite rest on the ground in a flight-ready position, but because of the design of the sail, it can never launch itself like a Rev can. And the slight bow in the sail allows you to take the kite off from any position, even face-down. I've learned how to get a Rev back into flight from this position, but it was very frustrating to learn, and I hate walking to a kite to stand the !@#$!@$#! thing back up again!

About instructions, New Tech has them on their website.

http://www.newtechkites.com/instructions/I...SPIRIT-QUAD.pdf

http://www.newtechkites.com/instructions/SpiritMOD1.pdf

http://www.newtechkites.com/instructions/SpiritMOD2.pdf

By the way, I am not sponsored by New Tech or paid in any way for extolling the virtues of the Spirit kites - I really do like them. That is not to suggest that anyone on this Forum is sponsored in any way by Rev - it is just to emphasize that I am expressing my opinion, as is everyone else here. You will undoubtedly buy a Rev or two in the future (I have 6 different ones myself), but I just think the Spirit is the best one to start with. :)

beleave it or not i learned on a shockwave it was the hardest thing to ever try but it was at the time the only kite my local shop had and i wanted a rev badly but i didnt know the speed and power it had untill i took it flying now i have a 1.5 sle blast exp indoor and a rev 1 all are great and i plan on getting my favorate rev for a beginner would be the 1.5 sle because once you get the hang of flying it youll have a better kite without haveing to buy another one