KiteLife Forum

Kite Line for big kites

Akitanut

I am interested in knowing what people are using for line. For example I have a Peter Lynn 12m lifter.  Does anyone have the same type lifter and what are you using for line and what tensile strength? I have a 25m Maxi Peter Lynn Octopus. What are you using to fly yours on? 

I just received 2000 lb Spectra Hollow core from TwinLine llc. This line is thin, lightweight and Strong. Awesome company to deal with and John Kiker is a kite flyer.  

I am going use this for the 12m pilot. The Peter Lynn pilot is a beast. They recommend no less than 1200. Since the 2000 lb Spectra is stronger and lighter than most lines I have used before I decided to go with it. 

Peter Lynn is recommending a 4400 Lb line for the maxi series kites. My Octopus falls into the Maxi 100 ft or larger range. They recommend no less than 5mm line because the line diameter is easy to handle and the pull generated by the Octopus. I asked if it was because of handling or for the tensile strength but have not received a response back at this time. Curious to know what the actual pulling force is on the kite. 

I can get a 4000 or even a 5250 tensile strength from TwinLine. The factory said the line is around 3-3.5 mm diameter. 

When comparing those lines to some of the others on the market it is cheaper to go with the stronger line. I compared diameter of the lines, pricing and strength. Still half the cost of anything else. 

I have read some others posts about the trilobite heads. Most people say it generates a lot of lift and pull. Some people are using it for a lifter. How is the pull on your 12m trilobite? I have the small 6ft head and that pulls pretty good in the higher wind speeds. 

Since most kite manufacturers only provide a recommended flying line suggestion I am trying to figure out what is the best way to measure actual pulling force of kites. I have thinking of using a small crane hanging scale on the line thought if I put two caribeaners on the line and then hook the scale in between them I could get some readings on pull. I wish manufacturers would list pulling strength of kites. I think we could then size our lines properly to the kite. This may save some money on line or even save a kite from a line break and losing your kite. 

Let’s here from more people. 

I am very interested in knowing what lines on what kites everyone is using. 

• Like 1

Yes we have large tent spikes for fields and mountain climbing webbing straps for fixed anchor spots. Heading to Wildwood festival next month and upgrade to giant sand bag anchors for beach flying. 

I have used my truck as an anchor before and lifted the rear end of its suspension in 25 mph winds. Yes I know we really should not be flying in the that strong winds but the morning winds sucked and then we had wind! Did not want the festival to be a bust so what the heck let’s fly my truck! 

you may use the truck but is good to have a second and/ore third anchor point. Creating multiple anchors points give you the peace of mind and increase the safety especially with big kites. also on the beach keep the sand constantly wet, that that add significant mass and prevent the bag to rollover. a good idea is to have the sand bag buried, will be easier to be fill up and is adding some all around side pressure