KiteLife Forum

How dangerous is having a kite go past over your head?

spiff

Hello All

I just recently bought a 12ft delta and it likes to get right above or even past and behind me.. (is this “overflight” that I read about in another thread?).. how dangerous is this condition?   So far I have always been able to reel it back in if it didn’t correct itself.  But I would like to know more about it.. like if its susceptible to going into an unrecoverable dive or something.  .    I never had a kite do this as kid when I only flew cheap plastic deltas, so I’m not sure how much of a problem this is, if at all.  I don’t wanna lose my new toy.   If it is overflight, I see from that other thread that drag helps mitigate the symptom.  But if it’s a harmless thing then I won’t bother.

TIA

Spiff

if is overhearing may plunge really fast on the ground because is loosing the tow point witch is keep the kite on floating .  you may correct that making an adjustment to the bridle to stay more in the wind (moue tow point closer to the tail) ore attaching a longer/heavier tail and this will require a heavier wind to fly the kite

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spiff said:

how dangerous is this condition?

Potentially very dangerous to people and equipment nearby.

It is possible for high-speed dives or swoops to reach very fast speeds, certainly enough to injure someone if they are struck directly, suffer severe burns from the lines sliding across their skin.  Spectators should not be underneath kites nor within a crash zone around them.

Anyone working with the kites, especially anyone handling the lines, should understand the dangers of fingers/hands/heads getting wrapped in lines and treat the kite lines with proper care. People have lost body parts and even died from those mistakes.

Equipment can be struck at high speeds, tangled, or otherwise damged, but generally equipment can be replaced.

Kites should be kept under control at all times.  Large or small, kites need constant supervision to adjust line tension as needed and ensure people stay out of potential harm's way.

• Like 1

I've only had 2 single line delta kites. 19' and 12' which were more than I wanted to handle on my own.Gusts here can be somewhat wicked at times. Someday's downright evil 😓. Still got a nice reel and some line though. I've decided the Conyne is the way to go.Debating between the ITW Rocky Mountain or Alpine. Leaning towards the Alpine but don't want to make the mistake of getting something to big again. From reading reviews both will fly past their zenith in the lower range and tails are recommended.At times wind dependent some of my duals go past zenith. Turn sideways and from there can do long nice looking descending slides to the windows edge. Flew a new to me old school dual Condor Griffin for the 1st time yesterday. Kite goes past zenith real easy and it's a lot of fun.That slide move is very graceful on it. Having watched gliders and indoor flyer videos maybe there's a similar move to make when a single line goes past your head.Getting it back in front without much stress.Don't really know what I'm blathering about but IF it's possible something to be learned  🤔.

Thanks for the replies.   I flew twice this weekend and it happened on both days again.. the first day was really strong winded, second day not so much.  But both times I have been able to prevent any issues just by letting the line slacken and the kite always seems to self-right itself.

I don't have multiple bridle points to try.

35 minutes ago, spiff said:

Thanks for the replies.   I flew twice this weekend and it happened on both days again.. the first day was really strong winded, second day not so much.  But both times I have been able to prevent any issues just by letting the line slacken and the kite always seems to self-right itself.

I don't have multiple bridle points to try.

Put a tail on it. Length depends on how much drag is necessary to keep it downwind of the anchor point. Or create a new attachment point about 1/2" towards the tail from the current attachment. Usually a 12-foot delta comes with factory-made multiple attachment points. If you post a photo of the attachment point on this kite we can advise you better.

• Like 1

you could alternatively place a piece of line laundry (part way up towards the kite on the flying line) and that will also deflect the over-flight effect.

A batch of streamers tails together or a spinning windsock, even better!

The line can't get overhead regardless of the kite's activities and it looks better, more visible to spectators and fellow kiters alike!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

you could alternatively place a piece of line laundry (part way up towards the kite on the flying line) and that will also deflect the over-flight effect.

It will just overfly the line laundry, which has become the new anchor point, and will possibly be a bigger mess and more dangerous. Add drag to the kite before you add the laundry, or change the angle of attack by moving the bridle point.

move the anchor point higher towards the kite (on the highest piece of laundry), and equally spaced along that flying line if add'l pieces are being applied.  If the line has sufficient drag overflight is impossible, the laundry is also effecting flight dynamics, just as an inflatable show-piece kite sports a stabilizing kite lifter (flow form or similar styled-kite) above it.  Not necessary but everybody uses 'em anyway, makes for a cleaner, smoother, more stable flight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help.  Both these delta's from Into the Wind do it.. but not too often.  Both have single bridle points. (12 and 16ft) Its mostly an issue while reeling it in, so now I'm cognizant to not cause it to climb too much while doing so.  But sometimes they do it all by themselves.  A few times they did it while even being several hundred feet out.  Its very strange looking straight up at your kite, especially when its still pulling fiercely. 

So far I have had 100% recovery from this condition as long as it was higher than a few meters.   Its those last few during grounding that makes them want to dive.  Otherwise they usually dive only briefly and the re-right themselves which usually fixed the angle too. I typically reserve tails for higher wind situations but this making me more likely to use them now at the expense of more launching failures.

I could always stick a big Nerf basketball on the point.