KiteLife Forum

Keeping Kites in Trunk?

xjclassic

I have stored kites in the hot car for 25 plus years of Reving, even in south Florida summers.

Storage in the outbuilding shed is more problematic, those aren't used often enough or are put away wet occasionally, they smell and have foreign visitors on small legs in between my usage.

The best or current favorite kites anyway, they get to ride along with me like my driver's license and glasses.

vinyl tubing like a home builder would use for fittings will "break-down", turn yellow and fail (Dave Ashworth's old kites in the shed)

as will non-shock corded solutions like automotive oh-rings used as tensioning alternatives with belt loops sewn into the sail (no KNOTS!!!!, but high wear point, we chose another path after several years of experiments with baby Ryvolution kites by Harold Ames)

this is a decade problem not annual

I keep mine ready to fly also but that being said I had a cheap Delta that rode in the car for two years when the time was right to bring it out it desinagrated but have not had a problem with anything a bit better made lol. Ya know $5 2 yrs of Florida heat ... U do the math

I have never noticed my car kites degrading over the years, but as mentioned above, kites in storage can get stinky especially when moisture is involved. I don't care if my kites stink, but if you're trying to preserve their value for resale, that might be a concern...

I just care how they fly !

• Like 1