KiteLife Forum

Anchors: sand or spikes, what to buy?

Hello, 

I have a 13' Flo tail kite and I purchased 500# line. I plan on attaching it with a Larks Head knot. What kind of anchor do you recommend? With the wind off Lake Michigan, I know it's a real possibility this kite is going to pick us up. We sometimes fly on the beach (will 1 large sand anchor suffice?) and sometimes on a grassy hill off the beach (no sand, just soil). What would you recommend? I don't mind buying two separate anchors for different terrain. 

Also: do I need gloves to pull this kite down? 

Here are the kite stats from the manufacturer (13' wide with 38' tails):

Size (W X L): 156 x 535 in / 396 x 1359 cm
Wind Range: 6 ~ 20 mph
Fabric: Nylon
Frame Carbon & Fiberglass
Line Recommended: 250 lb. Test Line

https://www.premierkites.com/products/33052

Thanks for your input!

Mel

Can't really help  you on the anchors, but I do suggest gloves while handling the line! Make a "walk down tool" from a carabiner and a strap, to walk that kite down safely. Or there are fancier ones out there,The main thing is to safely bring the kite down and not create excess tension in the reel.

• Like 1

some seat belt webbing can create a strap over your shoulder or surrounding your hips, you can use that combined with a large Carbiner to bring down the kite, dragging it out of the center of the window as you go down-wind

Sand anchors are easy to set-up and light weight to remove afterwards,

most friends sew a square tarp in an "X" with more seat-belt webbing as the across striped members, then use those four new corners to pinch the sand beneath and hold the kite (yes w/a larks head knot too!).  Recommend you put an extra or TWO behind that first one, just in case of failure.

Check with some big kite inflatable fliers like Andrew Beatty from the UK for more particular help and accessories to simplify your efforts, increase the safety measures.

• Like 1

Hello, 
I have a 13' Flo tail kite and I purchased 500# line. I plan on attaching it with a Larks Head knot. What kind of anchor do you recommend? With the wind off Lake Michigan, I know it's a real possibility this kite is going to pick us up. We sometimes fly on the beach (will 1 large sand anchor suffice?) and sometimes on a grassy hill off the beach (no sand, just soil). What would you recommend? I don't mind buying two separate anchors for different terrain. 
Also: do I need gloves to pull this kite down? 
Here are the kite stats from the manufacturer (13' wide with 38' tails):

Size (W X L): 156 x 535 in / 396 x 1359 cm
Wind Range: 6 ~ 20 mph
Fabric: Nylon
Frame Carbon & Fiberglass
Line Recommended: 250 lb. Test Line

https://www.premierkites.com/products/33052

Thanks for your input!

Mel

This is what I use for anchoring my larger kites on grass. It is based on a design for holding aircraft down. Simple to make and the longer the spike you use the better the hold. And yes, I highly recommend gloves.20190505_120623.jpeg20190505_120450.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

In a recent south texas beach visit, I decided to experiment with a home-made sand anchor on the big sled you see in my profile picture.  Typically, I'll hold this kite down with a branded sand anchor (see attached picture) and then put another big kite (usually 75 foot octo) about 30 ft down wind with another.  [note: both on #500 string].    Since I like to experiment, I made a homemade one out of ripstop and a few caribiners, and while having fun on the beach and not paying attention, the wind picked up....lifted the homemade anchor up, which dumped all the sand....which then flew it all into the octo 30 feet away which then proceeded to pull it ALL DOWN.  The Sled landed over 100 yards away with the downed octo close by!  SO, my advice when at the beach, don't wing it and go home made....   Buy one!    ALL KITES AND LAUNDRY SURVIVED and unfortunately, no video of the event.   

sandanchor.JPG

• Like 1

in the uk we get large bages of sand and builders materials, the bags are 3 foot cube and if filled with sand come in at 800kg, not sure how many bushels that is but i think in old english its 1600 pounds, but not sure if thats english pounds or lighter americian pounds, buts its certainly heavier than 3 quarts ( not sure what a quart is as they are not a local animal to me, but i have beentold their very vicious when cornered)

In sandy areas i find filling a bag or a sand anchor best, once your off loose sand i go for an aurger type screw device, its the flat blade that does the holding

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-4-piece-15steel-auger-set-with-12m-rope/

after thaat when its more solid i go for the thinner screw in type of anchors for less that 20 kg pull, i think thats 40 sheckles in old english imperial, after that for weight for me its a british army 900mm long ( half a chain, usa speak) iron spike or a selection of them

• 3 weeks later...

For anchoring into soil. (Not sandy soil)  I use two spikes 18 to 24inches long.  You can buy them for about $3 each at Home Depot or Lowe's in the masonry section near the rebar.

Pound them into the ground at opposing angles.  (Make an "X")  your line goes around the intersection of the "X".

If the anchor ever comes loose the spikes are likely not to get tied in the line and become a steel missile too.

I also spray paint the ends with bright paint.  This helps ppl from tripping on them too.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 9:54 AM, ifitcanfly said:

In a recent south texas beach visit, I decided to experiment with a home-made sand anchor on the big sled you see in my profile picture.  Typically, I'll hold this kite down with a branded sand anchor (see attached picture) and then put another big kite (usually 75 foot octo) about 30 ft down wind with another.  [note: both on #500 string].    Since I like to experiment, I made a homemade one out of ripstop and a few caribiners, and while having fun on the beach and not paying attention, the wind picked up....lifted the homemade anchor up, which dumped all the sand....which then flew it all into the octo 30 feet away which then proceeded to pull it ALL DOWN.  The Sled landed over 100 yards away with the downed octo close by!  SO, my advice when at the beach, don't wing it and go home made....   Buy one!    ALL KITES AND LAUNDRY SURVIVED and unfortunately, no video of the event.   

sandanchor.JPG

I am noticing from your picture, it doesn't look like you put your sand anchor into the hole that the sand came out of... it looks like it is flat on the ground. A big part of the holding power of a sand anchor is the resistance to it actually coming up & out of the hole, not just the weight of the sand in the anchor.

This is the best picture I could find quickly, but you can see that the anchor is dropped into the hole that I dug the sand out of, and the filled with sand. I can get twice as much sand in, too, if  the wind is stronger that day...

IMG_0691.jpg

• Like 1