KiteLife Forum
MelLovesKites

Anchors: sand or spikes, what to buy?

Hello, 

I have a 13' Flo tail kite and I purchased 500# line. I plan on attaching it with a Larks Head knot. What kind of anchor do you recommend? With the wind off Lake Michigan, I know it's a real possibility this kite is going to pick us up. We sometimes fly on the beach (will 1 large sand anchor suffice?) and sometimes on a grassy hill off the beach (no sand, just soil). What would you recommend? I don't mind buying two separate anchors for different terrain. 

Also: do I need gloves to pull this kite down? 

Here are the kite stats from the manufacturer (13' wide with 38' tails):

Size (W X L): 156 x 535 in / 396 x 1359 cm
Wind Range: 6 ~ 20 mph
Fabric: Nylon
Frame Carbon & Fiberglass
Line Recommended: 250 lb. Test Line

https://www.premierkites.com/products/33052

Thanks for your input!

Mel

Can't really help  you on the anchors, but I do suggest gloves while handling the line! Make a "walk down tool" from a carabiner and a strap, to walk that kite down safely. Or there are fancier ones out there,The main thing is to safely bring the kite down and not create excess tension in the reel.

• Like 1

some seat belt webbing can create a strap over your shoulder or surrounding your hips, you can use that combined with a large Carbiner to bring down the kite, dragging it out of the center of the window as you go down-wind

Sand anchors are easy to set-up and light weight to remove afterwards,

most friends sew a square tarp in an "X" with more seat-belt webbing as the across striped members, then use those four new corners to pinch the sand beneath and hold the kite (yes w/a larks head knot too!).  Recommend you put an extra or TWO behind that first one, just in case of failure.

Check with some big kite inflatable fliers like Andrew Beatty from the UK for more particular help and accessories to simplify your efforts, increase the safety measures.

• Like 1

That's what I do with my bigger SLKs...

T

For strap I use dual line kite straps and a carabiner : big carabiner for larger kites and small for smaller kites IMG_2858.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Hello, 
I have a 13' Flo tail kite and I purchased 500# line. I plan on attaching it with a Larks Head knot. What kind of anchor do you recommend? With the wind off Lake Michigan, I know it's a real possibility this kite is going to pick us up. We sometimes fly on the beach (will 1 large sand anchor suffice?) and sometimes on a grassy hill off the beach (no sand, just soil). What would you recommend? I don't mind buying two separate anchors for different terrain. 
Also: do I need gloves to pull this kite down? 
Here are the kite stats from the manufacturer (13' wide with 38' tails):

Size (W X L): 156 x 535 in / 396 x 1359 cm
Wind Range: 6 ~ 20 mph
Fabric: Nylon
Frame Carbon & Fiberglass
Line Recommended: 250 lb. Test Line

https://www.premierkites.com/products/33052

Thanks for your input!

Mel

This is what I use for anchoring my larger kites on grass. It is based on a design for holding aircraft down. Simple to make and the longer the spike you use the better the hold. And yes, I highly recommend gloves.20190505_120623.jpeg20190505_120450.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app