KiteLife Forum

It's Time (pretty sure)

Breezin

Last month winds have been bumpy,gusty, up and down difficult stuff.Seems worse than last spring but ya know how that rose colored glasses thing works. Last 2 days fairly nice SUL winds. Today should be similar with winds around 6 forecasted 10/11 mph this afternoon. My standard B series will be flown today one way or the other. Didn't want to lose focus on my duals and figured when I reached a level 5 skill set that wouldn't be a issue. Should be able to turn off my impulses now and not input the quad like a dual. Well enough to understand the mistake in a panic hopefully.Winds should be at the bottom of the kites range for the first flights lowering the risks of damage. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being utter destruction, 10 no doubt nothing gets damaged I'm at a supremely arrogant and utterly confident 3. That's good enough 😅. One more cup of coffee and let's just go see how dark this dark side really is.

• Like 1

3 hours of the most frustrating attempts at flying I've had in a long time. Better than not flying but all that video tutorial stuff went right out of my head as usual.Things faster than I expected and got a few ground passes (accidently)that were very exciting. Couldn't do the basic launch, straight up,straight down but had some fun spinning out of control trying to figure inputs out. Kites tough and nothing broke. Liked the Red,black, grey colors before I ever got it in the air. When it's flying looks kinda sinister to me which I really dig. Makes me want to flog the heck out of it in a good way. Not knowing a thing about flying a quad I was surprised at how much confidence the kite inspires. Very easy to flare/stall easing the ground hits more often than not. Thing I learned the fastest was bow ties kinda suck. Not knowing speed control when I first got the kite fully powered up(another accident) I knew instantly why some love a Supersonic.Winds went higher than forecast and could have flown the SLE vented. Put up a dual instead. Needed some success LOL.Starting to understand the attraction a bit. For me it might be the finite control I can learn that'll keep me coming back. Very different than the timing needed for just about everything on a dual. Might know in 6 months but it'll probably take a year. About a hour in I did notice things getting a little darker.

2 hours ago, Breezin said:

Starting to understand the attraction a bit. For me it might be the finite control I can learn that'll keep me coming back. Very different than the timing needed for just about everything on a dual. Might know in 6 months but it'll probably take a year. About a hour in I did notice things getting a little darker.

Once you can control the beast it will be very hard to put it down and fly something else.

• Like 1

When I first got the brakes and accelerator of quad lines, it was more than a year before I flew one of my dual lines again. The control is very empowering.

Even today I will always set up at least one quad, but only sometimes set up a dualie.

Good luck @Breezin. Hopefully your dual line kites won't gain as much dust as mine did.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, frob said:

Hopefully your dual line kites won't gain as much dust as mine did.

Hard to imagine. It's been incredible learning duals. Hopefully the 2 quads I have will be enough for now.Heavy vent Djinn.Hmm 🤔. Start collecting them like I have duals and I'll probably have to sleep in the barn with one eye open :sq_saywhat:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

Hopefully the 2 quads I have will be enough for now.Heavy vent Djinn.

Those two should cover most wind conditions, from very light winds through about 30 knot winds.  It should satisfy your addiction for quite some time.

The mid-vent feels better when winds are variable within the 8-15 knot wind range, a full sail starts to stretch out in that range, and a full-vent can feel a bit squishy on the lower end of that wind range.  

Add a mid-vent, an indoor, and an extreme vent if you want to fly in very high winds, and you've got the full range from dead calm through to dangerously strong.  Then you won't have an excuse to buy a kite for a while.