KiteLife Forum
cot51stState

Rev I Tuning/Mod Suggestions

I have an original Revolution I purchased in '91 that has seen very little time in the air. I have performed the handle mod and installed TK's Pro Leaders to aid with tuning. The fly lines are now equal length. The clips have been removed from both the lines and the bridle. Short of replacing the bridle, what should I do for attachment points, add pigtails? Would it be worth the money to change out the leading edge for something lighter? Or, should I appreciate it for what it is and save up for a more modern quad when this one ceases to challenge? 20190514_184848_compress55.thumb.jpg.08de6625f829818d13e4cbb279cc1cae.jpg

you may fly it how it is now. personal I purchased a 2 wraps frame for lighter wind, i take of the  pigtails, on one Rev 1 i mount a French Bridle. with all this moods Rev 1 is Rev 1, slow and majestic and on 2-5 mph wind, #50 lines and 15 inch handles i prefer to fly it on front of any 1.5 standard, B ore B-Pro .all this involve some investment

if you think to sell it PM my and  i promise to fly it 

Did it originally have uneven lines? Longer top lines? If so the best thing is change the bridle and save the old one. Using even length lines with the old style bridle may not work well. I got mine in 98, already had the newer bridle.

I would think about the kites in the 1.5 size. They are a bit faster, but they also are sort of the standard for team flying. If you have any plans to do any, I recommend trying out the many offerings in that size. There are also many models within a type. Say you go with Phoenix (type) - there are 5 or 6 different models. Freilein is similar. Djinn has 3 out, 2 more under development. And so on. Why? Different amounts of venting. Allows you to pick a model out of your bag that best matches the wind conditions.

3 hours ago, Edmond Dragut said:

you may fly it how it is now. personal I purchased a 2 wraps frame for lighter wind, i take of the  pigtails, on one Rev 1 i mount a French Bridle. with all this moods Rev 1 is Rev 1, slow and majestic and on 2-5 mph wind, #50 lines and 15 inch handles i prefer to fly it on front of any 1.5 standard, B ore B-Pro .all this involve some investment

if you think to sell it PM my and  i promise to fly it 

I thank you for the French bridle recommendation. If already replacing a bridle so I have attachment points, I would do well to also try to enhance the flight characteristics. I'm not far from the coast, but where I live I will regularly face lighter wind situations. It's encouraging that a frame change will help in that respect. I thank you for your suggestions and will keep you in mind if I ever consider parting with this kite. 

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Did it originally have uneven lines? Longer top lines? If so the best thing is change the bridle and save the old one. Using even length lines with the old style bridle may not work well. I got mine in 98, already had the newer bridle.

I would think about the kites in the 1.5 size. They are a bit faster, but they also are sort of the standard for team flying. If you have any plans to do any, I recommend trying out the many offerings in that size. There are also many models within a type. Say you go with Phoenix (type) - there are 5 or 6 different models. Freilein is similar. Djinn has 3 out, 2 more under development. And so on. Why? Different amounts of venting. Allows you to pick a model out of your bag that best matches the wind conditions.

The original fly lines were unequal with the top lines being longer. The handles had rings to attach the fly lines. When flying with the unmodified handles and lines  I was never able to achieve reverse flight. I believe modifying the handles with leaders has not only allowed me to compensate for the equaling out the lines but I'm also now able to tune for more brake (a concept I recently acquired from this site). The only part I overlooked was how to attach the fly lines to the bridle once all the clips had been removed. The original bridle terminates in loops not knots. I had to improvise yesterday by putting knots in the loop of the top bridle attachment points. There wasn't enough of a loop at the bottom, so I just attached it at the junction of the bridle legs. That decision definitely altered the way it flew 😏. But, it was stable enough that I could grab my first ever pictures of that kite (one handed on 40 foot lines)!

• Like 1

for attaching points if is not enough space to make a knot to the bridle you may add a small #120 lbs pigtail. Try also to make the line to be equals and you will drastically improve the fine setup from the leaders. to much forward will  let you without breaks and that will affect the maneuverability 

• Like 1

Just to clarify - top attachment points on the bridle were longer, meaning shorter top lines in the set. Using a new style bridle works with the newer style even lines.

Rev had a simple thought on flying and buying - you had to get a kite airborne to sell it. Couldn't sell what doesn't get off the ground. So that is why they were so "forward drive" heavy. It was up to us to adjust them for the control they can have. I was using a set of leaders back in 99, thanks to an old timer that came to the beach I went to. I may have only had 4-5 knots and didn't understand the theory, but I knew it flew better.

Edit: Maybe I did have it right the first time - I hadn't read your comment first. But a new bridle with the even lines, makes a more "modern" setup and gives you a better chance to tune to your satisfaction.

I'm used to adjusting a link or leader line as affixed to the bridle end too,

so my handle settings stay the same for all the different styles and configurations of quads I routinely enjoy.  Maybe adding an extension of four inches onto the bottom of a Djinn or Reflex attachment point for the flying lines.  Or cutting off several inches from the top bridle leaders on my Zen.  All because I want a longer leader on the top of the handles, as long as the gap between the two attachment points.  The longer the handles the longer this leader is to match.  I don't use sleeving (just another tangle point!) so I need the leaders on the handles to be as long as possible.  I don't want it tangling with the bottom leader, knots or flying lines though,... there's a point that is "too long".  Too Short and OUCH! you've cut your pinky finger doing 3D stuff, yanking the bare spectra lines whilst trying to create acres of slack.  

The further out there you can reach (to yank two lines, usually the tops) the more of a profound impact you can make on the fight dynamics.  The "beheader" indoors move?, you jerk the top two flying lines, duck down real low and the kite just misses your head as parallels forward with the ground, then you have to jump up in the air and allow the flying lines to pass by underneath (now both handles have crossed-over to the outside line-wrap too). Finally it goes all the way out to the end of the string and hovers inverted just inches above the ground.  You either un-twist the lines now or ,... planned it first with the wrap in there!!!

Tuning and length adjustments are almost always made on the bottoms for my preferences, more Brake equals more square to the wind, so I always make this adjustment first when testing or tuning for conditions.

I frequently drop all four lines onto a well-placed stake too, making certain everything aligns perfectly when yanked backwards tightly, also with the handles placed into the opposite hand (of course, mark one to identify L/R laying on the ground!) to counteract the probability of one handed dominance effect.  Test and tune with the left handle in the right hand, then fly with it in the correct position left handle/left hand.  If you are testing or comparing frequently, you don't want a variable in any of this stuff!!!!

When you buy an alternative such as a French bridle you are expected to tune the leader attachment points on that bridle to fit your current handle settings.  then you don't change anything when setting up one style or the other, certainly not your preferences on the handle end!

@Wayne Dowler, @Edmond Dragut, and @Paul LaMasters, thank you all for the informative replies. Some of the information provided is beyond my current skill level to apply immediately. Some will serve as aspirational. [Although, at 55 years of age, I don't know how realistic jumping through my own fly lines will be (never say never though, right).] I'll get some time on the handles this weekend and report back on what worked.

Thanks Again -Michael 

• Like 1

kites are about enjoyment,.... just 'cause you can't do everything it's capable of, doesn't mean you can't appreciate the efforts of other pilots who have mastered more.

nobody has it all down pat yet either!

Pick one aspect of quad capabilities that really lights your fire and work on that for now.

I'm 63, I don't jump thru lines indoors either, HA!

@Paul LaMasters, your comment about "kites are about enjoyment" rings even truer for me today than when I was last actively flying. This would have been when stunt kites became sport kites and Myrtle Beach's Summer Games became a stop on the East Coast Stunt Kite Championship circuit. Always at the back of my mind was the phrase David Letterman used when introducing his Stupid Pet Tricks segments, "This is an exhibition not a competition, please no wagering". My starting to take it all too seriously led (in part) to that kite spending a quarter century in its sleeve. Taking it out on a lonely stretch of beach a few weeks ago reminded me of what I found so compelling about stunt kiting to begin with. Beyond actually flying, I missed the community. 

• Like 1

Looks like summer has arrived in Eastern North Carolina. Temps were in the low 90s and the winds were light and variable. Took a leading edge end cap failure to finally make me pack it in. I guess a trip to my local kite shop is in my future. It's only a 150 mile round trip, but who doesn't like a trip to the beach!

But to summarize: Revolution I kite, original (probably heavy) frame, handles modified with TK Pro Leaders, all four lines of equal length. Even using the outermost knot on the leaders, my fear was that I was going to be too short on the top lines . Turns out I had to attach the top lines to the innermost leader knot in order to get any forward drive from the kite.

Thankfully my package from JB arrived today so I can start playing around with a quad that was produced this millenia. It should have a light enough frame to help me out in these fickle inland winds.

Summer has definitely arrived.  Sunday morning got hot quick.  Have to remember the water bottles from now on.  

Agreed, summer is here in the northern hemisphere.  Now that Austin's heat index is routinely hitting 100F and above, it's almost time to stay indoors.