KiteLife Forum

Upgrading

LookuPLars

Hey is the Hypnotist a good kite from a beginner kite or should I try something’s else vegas weather has a lot of super light breezy day .you guys remember my beginner kite couple of years with that and now I’m ready to move up. So I’m looking for some great advise that you all ways give

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

On 5/27/2019 at 11:05 AM, LookuPLars said:

vegas weather has a lot of super light breezy day

Can you put a number on that?  Calm air of 0-3 is different from breezes of 3-5 mph which are different from breezes of 5-10, and so on.  

Also, you might contact Kent and Daelyn at A Wind Of Change. They used to run their store out of Las Vegas and know plenty of flying fields and the prevailing conditions for the region.  I'm sure they can recommend you several kites, and ship them immediately.

• Like 2

Man I have been reluctant to respond. Don't want to come across as kite snobby ( I am) or discouraging (maybe). 0 to 3 is the toughest for me to fly in and has been the hardest kite decision to make. The cost of my latest SUL(2pt frame) borders on insanity. So far I think it's worth it. My first SUL I bonded with instantly and is the kite(3pt frame) I want to fly the most. 2 to 14/15 mph and will handle gusts to 15 easy.Got it 2nd hand but it was still crazy money.Thought I was ready for a 2pt framed kite but I'm not quite there yet. Little intimidated by the more fragile frame. NO similar framed kite will survive for long the willy nilly flying I like to do at times. As my skills and discipline improve I think I'll bond to it just as much as the 3pt.Not flown either much in the last month due to high winds and wet weather. Super excited when I got a Zephyr and it taught me a lot. Took a long time but on good days I could fly it in 1 to 2 mph. 3 to 4 is where the tricking would start. Kite has a lot of adjustments and that took some time to figure out. As I got better the constant need for adjustments in my rollercoaster winds got on my nerves. I'd have a better opinion of the Zephyr if I lived where winds are smoother. For 0 to 3 the only 2 kites under $160.00 that I thought about were the Prism 4D and Flying Wings Acrobaxt. That was in the first couple months of flying and concluded it was best to save up for other kites. A lot of folks think the 4D is twitchy in it's upper range. I don't think twitchy is a viable critique. Adjust your inputs. Take that with a LARGE grain of salt though because the funnest kites I fly are the Premier Addiction, Flexifoil Psycho and HQ Delta Hawk.Fast kites are not for everyone.Level One USA opened their online store yesterday. $200.00 gets you a Reloaded UL but the Badass UL at $275.00 flies lower. Paul DeBakker claims he can fly it in nothing. He designed the Hydra which I really dig but hasn't been very durable for me. Planned on getting a Benson Superfly to replace it but getting a Badass instead. Pauls a pro and being that confident in the Badass is good enough.PAW was heavily involved in it's design and I've watched/read a bunch of his stuff.Contact them and you'll probably get some good advice. I too live on disability so I have to be pretty diligent in my kite purchases. Most of mine are used. My quiver is now loaded up and I really have no need for other kites. Want though, well that's a ongoing problem. Under $160.00 there are 3 kites I'd really like to have. The Sky Dog Crossfire Comp not to be confused with the Crossfire or Crossfire II. That would be my wet weather kite and I'd give my Black Dog to my grandkids. Knowing what I know now it would have been my 1st kite. Premier Wolf ng because good fliers claim it's even better than my Nighthawk and I fly that kite a LOT.The Kymera at $112.50 + shipping from ITW has been on my mind for a long time. 0 to 3 is tough. I've spent the most time researching the needed skills and equipment for that wind range. Honestly I'm still kinda lost. Hate to say it but I don't think you can get a good allround tricky SUL for $160.00. Not even a good used one unless you get real lucky.Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.The ITW Echo and Kite Forge Kaiju take different skills then what I'm focusing on now. For the cost one of those might serve you better.When it's 115 F ya can also fly one of those in air conditioning.

• Like 3
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Man I have been reluctant to respond. Don't want to come across as kite snobby ( I am) or discouraging (maybe). 0 to 3 is the toughest for me to fly in and has been the hardest kite decision to make. The cost of my latest SUL(2pt frame) borders on insanity. So far I think it's worth it. My first SUL I bonded with instantly and is the kite(3pt frame) I want to fly the most. 2 to 14/15 mph and will handle gusts to 15 easy.Got it 2nd hand but it was still crazy money.Thought I was ready for a 2pt framed kite but I'm not quite there yet. Little intimidated by the more fragile frame. NO similar framed kite will survive for long the willy nilly flying I like to do at times. As my skills and discipline improve I think I'll bond to it just as much as the 3pt.Not flown either much in the last month due to high winds and wet weather. Super excited when I got a Zephyr and it taught me a lot. Took a long time but on good days I could fly it in 1 to 2 mph. 3 to 4 is where the tricking would start. Kite has a lot of adjustments and that took some time to figure out. As I got better the constant need for adjustments in my rollercoaster winds got on my nerves. I'd have a better opinion of the Zephyr if I lived where winds are smoother. For 0 to 3 the only 2 kites under $160.00 that I thought about were the Prism 4D and Flying Wings Acrobaxt. That was in the first couple months of flying and concluded it was best to save up for other kites. A lot of folks think the 4D is twitchy in it's upper range. I don't think twitchy is a viable critique. Adjust your inputs. Take that with a LARGE grain of salt though because the funnest kites I fly are the Premier Addiction, Flexifoil Psycho and HQ Delta Hawk.Fast kites are not for everyone.Level One USA opened their online store yesterday. $200.00 gets you a Reloaded UL but the Badass UL at $275.00 flies lower. Paul DeBakker claims he can fly it in nothing. He designed the Hydra which I really dig but hasn't been very durable for me. Planned on getting a Benson Superfly to replace it but getting a Badass instead. Pauls a pro and being that confident in the Badass is good enough.PAW was heavily involved in it's design and I've watched/read a bunch of his stuff.Contact them and you'll probably get some good advice. I too live on disability so I have to be pretty diligent in my kite purchases. Most of mine are used. My quiver is now loaded up and I really have no need for other kites. Want though, well that's a ongoing problem. Under $160.00 there are 3 kites I'd really like to have. The Sky Dog Crossfire Comp not to be confused with the Crossfire or Crossfire II. That would be my wet weather kite and I'd give my Black Dog to my grandkids. Knowing what I know now it would have been my 1st kite. Premier Wolf ng because good fliers claim it's even better than my Nighthawk and I fly that kite a LOT.The Kymera at $112.50 + shipping from ITW has been on my mind for a long time. 0 to 3 is tough. I've spent the most time researching the needed skills and equipment for that wind range. Honestly I'm still kinda lost. Hate to say it but I don't think you can get a good allround tricky SUL for $160.00. Not even a good used one unless you get real lucky.Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.The ITW Echo and Kite Forge Kaiju take different skills then what I'm focusing on now. For the cost one of those might serve you better.When it's 115 F ya can also fly one of those in air conditioning.

Wow, that was awesome Breezin info and all. well, I found two kites that I think would be perfect for me and they both were on sale around 107 each prism hypnotist and prism 4d. I'm amazed the way that both these kites are built. So first the hypnotist came in just in time for a fairly good 10 to 15 mph. One of my first kites was 20.00 kite which turned into a jerry's kid the first day of flying. I'm incredibly hooked now. Than the 4d came in and I flew it the first time

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

My opinion of the Hypnotist is from research only. It is in the top 5 production kites I'd recommend for learning tricks. 4D is probably the most purchased SUL on the planet. I've not learned short line flying much at all. The 4D is going to teach you that right off and that's a good thing. Both kites will take you through the intermediate skill sets with some advanced stuff at your fingertips. With those 2 kites I think you're going to have a gap in wind range between 5 and 8/9 mph(UL winds).Not a big deal for the short term because of the ground and low altitude skills you can learn. Bouncing a kite up and down when it won't fly taught me a lot.The way winds cycle around here at times it's something I still do often. Most of that at the start was on a Premier Addiction which is a lot lighter than the Hypnotist. The heavier kites are easier to damage doing that stuff but the Hypnotist has a reputation for being tough. It should handle that learning curve better than most similar type kites.Do it on nice mowed grass though. Practicing that stuff you WILL be able to fly it a little lower than stated.Broke the LS on my 2pt framed kite last time out. Much as it sucks glad the first damage is out of the way. Got the parts yesterday with a spare cause it's going to happen again. Nope I'm still not skilled enough for a 2pt but then again why not LOL.You're probably going to break the 4D. Remember when getting parts buy a spare. Your new kites will take you far. Fly them till they're tattered.