KiteLife Forum

Which Djinn fits in?

DonFibonacci

Hi everyone...  I'm looking for a quad to fill in a wind range gap in my current lineup, and I could really use your advice!

Here's my current arsenal in order of increasing wind:

1. Rev 1.5B STD  - for the lowest of winds
  2. Djinn ST - as I get better, it's gradually crowding out the Rev for low wind
  3. ??? 
  4. Rev 1.5B Full vent

I'm looking to get a Djinn for line 3 😁

I really like the feel of a vented kite, but here in Phoenix there's rarely enough wind for a full vent.  When there is, it's usually really gusty, so there are long periods where the full vent feels sluggish.  I'd like to have a less-vented kite, so I can struggle through the peaks rather than the valleys, if that makes sense.

So... Djinn MV or Djinn VT?  I feel like I'd get more use out of a kite with less venting, so I was leaning toward the MV, but then again, I've seen here that the Djinn is less-vented than the 1.5B in general...

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Get the mid vent it will easily fill the gap. It can be used below and above the range of a B series mid vent due to slightly Less venting on the low range and into the vented range due to the bridle congratulation. Just my 2 cents I’m sure others will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Changing out frames is another option. All of my revs have multiple frames in the bag, with a 2 wrap in every one. You'd be quite and pleasantly surprised how much lower the wind range in any of your kites will be when you put a 2 wrap in. A 2 wrap in a full vented will take it down to a regular sail's wind range no probs and will improve your flying skills exponentially.... A 2 wrap in a Rev 1 is just WOW!!!! 

I know folks will chime in with a race frame....weight of a 2...strength of a 3....yes...but no because of this. A 2 has advantages over a race because of the lighter touch you'll need. I have a full sail 1.5 with both 2 and race frames in the bag and they feel way different than each other.

bt

• Thanks 1

I would debate the 2 wrap over a race frame, but it really is up  to what kind of "feel" you are looking for. But no debate on putting a lighter frame into a "heavier" sail. That can work. Again - it's all up to the feel you seek, on what you decide is "better".

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is morphing into a slightly different question (although if it ends up with "you don't need a new kite", I'm going to be pissed!).

So if I'm flying in wind like the other day where it's 2 minutes at 18 mph, then 2 minutes at 7 mph, over and over again, which frame should I have in the full vent?  I was using the 4-wrap and struggling through the low wind points.  I'm a bit nervous about using the 2-wrap in that case, but should I be?

• Like 2

A lot of this depends on your flying style. I enjoy light winds and have a slow with a light touch style. I rarely fly when the wind gets to double digits and if so I would have a rev 2 in the air.....so there's a good excuse to get another kite right there!!!!

Yes Wayne you are right in that it is a "feel" thing re a 2 vs a race frame as you have to be careful when using a 2 wrap. I will always go to the race if there is any doubt, however because of my touch I prefer a 2 but will change immediately if it's borderline, or put up another kite.....another excuse for another kite!!!!

Of course there is the good ol' standard 3 wrap which would work in the lower wind range but then you'd have to be careful when those 18 mph bits come in.....a reversal of sorts. So this also means another frame so ya might as well get another kite to go with the new frame.....

I have a friend who flew with iQuad for years and they used to do the doubling up for the leading edges....a 3 and 2 was their choice if I recall.... I've never done it but then again I've never been in the fly or die situation they were in all the time.

It boils down to getting more frames and more kites more or less....lol.

bt

• Thanks 1

If the winds are truly that erratic, any mid vent would work, including the Djinn.

Until then - do you have a 3 wrap frame to use? Or at least enough to do an LE? I personally find the 4 wrap too stiff for my liking. I prefer a bit of flex in my kite and find the 4 wrap just doesn't give enough. The 3 wrap is plenty strong, stronger than we expect. Try them in both sails - the std and full vent.  If you have them, try them, might surprise you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For variable winds often you need to mix the two extremes. A sail that has enough fabric to catch the light wind, but strong enough spars to handle the gusts.  The sail will stretch out faster than it normally would, and you may need to dart to the edges whenever there is a gust, but at least you'll be flying.

Another alternative if you're flying long enough is to have two kites set up, when winds start to shift land the one and launch the other.  I've had plenty of times where I had both a standard and a full vent set up.  As wind changes I land, stake one the set of lines, then pick up the other.  As conditions change back, I land, swap the kites, then launch the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mebeatee said:

Of course there is the good ol' standard 3 wrap which would work in the lower wind range but then you'd have to be careful when those 18 mph bits come in.....a reversal of sorts.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking originally with using a mid-vent, to flip the script so that I can better survive the doldrums - even if I might have to bail out when wind really gets going.

23 hours ago, mebeatee said:

It boils down to getting more frames and more kites more or less....lol.

There's the validation I'm looking for! 😎

10 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Until then - do you have a 3 wrap frame to use?

Yes, I have two.  Next time I get a big wind day I'll put one in each sail and see how that feels.

6 hours ago, frob said:

Another alternative if you're flying long enough is to have two kites set up, when winds start to shift land the one and launch the other.

I've done that before, with the only problem being I don't have two linesets of the same length, so one kite's on 70 feet and other on 30.  Not that they have to be the same, but it'd be nice (most recently, I was trying to video for Club 38, so I had my camera positioned for the longer lines).

Last time, I had one lineset out and two kites, trying to swap kites as the wind changed.  That of course was an exercise in frustration akin to trying to get in the fastest lane in a freeway traffic jam.  As soon as I got the other kite on the lines, the wind would change again!  The net effect was I was almost always flying the wrong kite!  I guess I'll add a lineset or two to the next order...

Thanks everyone for the input!

Oh man you've hit the jackpot!! Not only more kites but now more linesets.... As well as going out with enough kites to handle any wind speed and my flying mood, I always have multiple linesets in the bag, both in strength and length. Changing out kites and frames is one thing but changing lines can do the trick.....sometimes even better than changing frames. At least the option is there. The difference between flying on 70 ft vs 100 ft can be like night and day especially in a good wind, and reverse in low wind.

I usually buy line in bulk and cut to length..... There's 50, 75, 90, 100, and 150 lb strengths in 30/50/75/85/100/120 ft lengths. Not all bought at  once mind you as that would break the bank......

One more thing...handles. Over the years Rev has made and supplied different handle lengths for their kites. "Generally" longer handles in light winds and shorter handles for higher winds....at least for me. Then there's the leader lengths...... Others here may be better attuned to this than me as I have found my sweet spots on different handles and leave it at that. I can't stand the little extra bits of string flapping about if I was to shorten the top lines. 

Ah yes, the more options and the more idiosyncrasies for these wonderful kites....what a great dilemma to have!

bt

I typically have three or four kites with me, but as I said, I'm a little light on lines right now, with only 1 set each of  30'/50'/70' in 50#.  I had two 90# sets but I gave one away a long time ago and completely trashed the other by getting a brake line snagged 20 feet up in a palm tree in high wind (I was thankfully able to save the kite in that case 😬).  I've been meaning to get a big spool of 90# line, just haven't gotten around to it.

I tend to flow back and forth on which length I prefer.  I'll do a couple weeks on the longer lines and love it, then one day get out the 30' again and go "oh yeah, now I remember why I love the short lines!" and then stick to those for a while.

I've only ever used the standard 13" Rev handles.

I would get the Djinn Mid Vent!! I think my winds are different from yours, more steady with smaller gusts ranges. I can tell you my mid gets 75 percent of my total flying time, in 6  or 7 to 13 to 15 mph range quite often. With P300 spars in it the range has been very good to keep it flying. As someone else said, when the gust pick up for that brief time fly to the edge of the window and plat till it drops back down.

The Djinn MV comes with the mystic 14 spars which are 3 grams lighter than my P300's per spar! So I think you will get a lot more flying time on the low end of the wind.

• Like 2

Thanks Corey.  Typical winds here are light, usually under 5 mph, so I spend most of my time on my full sails.  It's rare to get wind that's consistently in the 10+ range - when the wind gets up like that, it's associated with storms coming or going and is pretty turbulent.

Thanks for the advice - I'm definitely leaning toward the Djinn MV.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I ran "hot and cold" on this decision for a while as you can see 🙄but in the end went with the MV (on the left in the picture).

I LOVE THIS KITE!! 

The day it arrived I thought the wind wouldn't be enough for a mid-vent, but of course I had to give it a go.  Was able to fly both it and the ST for a couple of hours until darkness grounded me  It really does cover a wide wind range, and I felt like it made me look better than I really am!  The biggest thing I noticed was I could reverse it better than any of my other kites.

The ordering process was a story of lowest lows and the highest highs.  Just after I placed the order (evening of June 1) I remembered that shipping was suspended June 1-12  while everyone is in Denmark.  The lowest of lows... but as I was sitting there feeling sorry for myself (like 5 minutes later) I got an email saying my order had been completed AND shipped!  The highest of highs!  Did someone drop it off on their way to the airport?? 😁However it happened, THANKS SO MUCH to KiteForge for their great service!

MVIMG_20190607_191927.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you are happy with your decision and the kite. Extra vent or Hardcore Vent will be next for me. Wind was 18 gusting over 25 today so my son and I took down both are kites. Djinn full vent and the spider vent rev although I’ve taken the spider above 30 and it pulls hard. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1