KiteLife Forum

Best Resource ?

RobB

Hello,

I was wondering what the best resourses are for learning quad line flying. I know the best thing I can do is watch someone who is better, but nobody flys around me, especially not quad line. I have a NTK Spirit kite, and have had some good times, and some bad times with it. The last time out was good, but it seems like a finniky, fragile kite with a narrow wind window. I haven't gotten into adjusting the bridle, maybe that would help to increase the wind range.

Is there a good video, or good written resource for information on quad line flying in general, and possibly NTK Spirit specific ?

Thanks...

-Rob.

I've owned a Spirit, and to my knowledge, they DON'T have a video. However, the principles are very similar to the Revolutions. What I suggest, barring the ability to work one-on-one with somone, is to try to locate a Revolution video -- the basic video would work well. You can find one possibly at the kite store where you bought your Spirot. Or from an online store.

You might consider posting your location, asking for any fliers in your area. I know that if you are possibly in the North Carolina area, there are several fliers in various parts of the state who would be more than happy to spend some time with you. If you're near the Charlotte area, I'd be happy to do it.

Best to you. When you get the hang of it, you're in for a treat!!!

Doug

I personally don't have either the Rev or the Spirit kites, so I'm definitely not an expert. However, I'm thinking about buying a quad, so I've done some research. On the Rev website, they have a page of techniques. http://www.revkites.com/techniques/index.htm It's worth a look over on that page to get some pretty good basics down. I'm assuming the 2 different kites fly similarly, so most if not all of the techniques should be helpful.

Good luck

Kevin

Indeed, Rev has a basic quad flying video that comes with their kites.

The Kite Connection also has a (semi)advanced quad video here.

Last but not least, there is a light wind flying article here.

Do a web search on "REVisions" in the Kitelife site, great articles there... There's been one in the last 1/2 dozen or so issues.

@Rob - The Spirits have a bridle adjustment point at the base of the center spine, and you should really learn how/when to use it.

You should get pdf's: http://www.newtechkites.com/instructions/SpiritMOD1.pdf and http://www.newtechkites.com/instructions/SpiritMOD2.pdf take note of the last photo. I tied another knot in the standard lower loop, right up next to the webbing, for flight in near zero wind conditions. Also, the bridle mods described in the pdf give the kite better handling in reverse.

btw, all the New Tech manuals and mods are listed at http://www.newtechkites.com/NTK_DOWNLOADS-INST.htm :)

The Revs and Spirits have very similar flying and handling characteristics, so any "notes" or videos you can find about one will (most likely) apply to the other. Now get out there and practice!

NOTHING will teach you better than your own time at the field. Besides that, you may discover some maneuver that all of the "experts" haven't done yet.

Hey All...

Thank you all so much for the helpful suggestions and links. It looks like I'll be spending alot of windless time indoors, researching all those links.

I am on eastern Long Island, too bad I don't go to Charlotte area for business any more, I used to travel there quite frequently. I know hooking up with a more skilled flier than myself is the best way to learn. Around here, when I fly, people look at the stunt kites like they never saw one before.

I wish you all a constant 8mph breeze to your backs.

-Rob.

I am on eastern Long Island, ......

There are some great quad fliers up in the northeast region,... try the AKA's website list of members and see if you can't find one of them to help. That will save you a ton of dough and cut years off of the learning curve.

~Steve Santos ~Shawn Tinkham ~Dennis Smith ~Monica Orso

~Lisa Willoughby ~Doug Coats ~Karl Berg ~Scottie Weider

-paul

wings over washington kite club

wowkiteclub.com

PS: If you get down to DC, please give me an email and we'll set you up for the whole day to try different equipment and get advise on flight, mods, competition, building your own, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

just rember you cant fly a quad like a dual steering a quad doesnt require the constant arm movements you can use your arms in some tricks like floating but the quad is more hand and wrist ive taught a few dualliners a quad and the first instint is to use the arms and after that the kites falls out of the air and then they cant figure out how they cant keep the kite aloft. quads are not hard to learn take some alone time with your kite and just like your dual lines it will come to you