KiteLife Forum

Very Lightly Vented with a dash of Purple

riffclown

This next sail will be a balanced venting, very close to the venting of a mid vent but balanced across the sail instead of two contiguous strips like a regular midvent would have. . White Icarex, White Mesh, White LE, White LE Mesh and a single purple Strip with Purple Edge Binding. No pattern reveal on this one since the sail is almost entirely white. Still it's full riffclown diamonds construction but only one strip of purple amongst all white per side to give the sail some color. Will post an additional pic or two once the initial basting is done.. More to come very soon. Initial cuts are done and basting at about 50% so far..

20190602_154128.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, riffclown said:

Center Section is done. Ready to start sewing..

Backlit to show the venting..

20190604_143027.jpg

I will be interested in hearing your opinion on vents in the center of the kite. Always wondered if they made any "felt" difference ......

5 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I will be interested in hearing your opinion on vents in the center of the kite. Always wondered if they made any "felt" difference ......

Honestly, Me too..

1 hour ago, Corey Bell said:

I was going to ask about the center venting?

Like everything I make for myself, it's an experiment in what's possible. Once trimmed down to size the tops of the two mesh diamonds in the center are the top edge of this kite. The Material above it ends up in the pile for the bag. LE is now attached Edge binding and framing will happen this week.

Conditions permitting, this will debut at the Rogallo Festival at Jockey's Ridge.

• Like 1

Had some breeze today so took it out for a spin or two. I really like the way this kite feels. The center vents make the overall feel of the sail more like a full sail balance but still the venting of a midvent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, riffclown said:

Had some breeze today so took it out for a spin or two. I really like the way this kite feels. The center vents make the overall feel of the sail more like a full sail balance but still the venting of a midvent.

Looks good!! How were the winds? Which spars did you put in this?

Looks great, nice work. Have you tried the diamonds technique to create a tumbling blocks pattern? I bought a 60° diamond quilting template and have cut some fabric. But I think there is a better way to aproach this than sewing diamonds together.

behang-arte-mc-escher-23155-gr.jpg

All righty then. Seems I'm in a rut at repeating myself but this is my favorite so far. I still see predominantly white kites best. Not as distinct as it used to be but still do. Plus I'm kind of a minimalist in most things. Although I'd do umm well I'd change uhhh I'd alter.... Never mind.

• Thanks 1