KiteLife Forum

Level One Kites USA Matrix line set.

cjay

I have a set of the 75' x 90# Matrix line set from Level One Kites on the way. It is an orange color, and I wanted to check out the visibility. Sounds like it is similar to speed line.

Anyone have experience with this line?

I am excited to get back out there to fly again after being laid up for months due to my back.

It is pretty new over here. The Level One kites  and the Matrix line sets have just become available. The one person that might know the most would be Paul deBakker, but he might be a bit biased - him and Nic are the Level One USA distributors.

Link to the site:   https://www.levelonekitesusa.com/ 

• Like 2

Was interested to know if anyone else has tried it.

I emailed Paul about it.

He said that it is not Climax Protec line, and that it is a little less stretchy than the protec. And that it is not as stiff as LPG or Skybond.

He said it is sort of in between the speed and skybond as far as stiffness goes, and that it doesn't pick up debris as much as the LPG. So it will be interesting to try out, and have around for other people to try as well.

• Like 2

I got the line set the other day. Thought i would give some details about the transaction and lines.

It was very fast shipping. 

One of the best checkout systems i have used. Add to Cart > checkout > paypal login > buy !  No filling out of forms at all.

Line set looks good. Haven't unwound it and checked to see if they are even yet.

It is a little stiffer and more slick than the factory spectra lines i got with my kites. The sleeving has the ends heated,  so i am not sure if that is an abrasion risk or not. I know the skybond is not like that on purpose.

The color is very good. Price is very good.

I think i am going to like it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the Climax lines that were brightly colored, I got them when they first came out, thinking they would be easier to see. They weren't really... but they are quality lines that have many years on them now. Still use them even though the color has faded and they are fuzzy.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, Benderdog said:

Had any time on the lines yet?

Not yet. I will post up about them when I get a chance to fly.

I really want to go flying too. I have had a little time here and there to fly locally, but with the light wind we have had I would need a SUL for that.

I was going to buy a PDSUL, but decided that I want to fly one first before I buy one.

I was able to use these lines for a few minutes today before the wind died. The wind was sul then gusty then back to sul. I don't have a kite that can fly in those conditions.

I checked the lengths first. They were both the same length. My first impression was that I like the feel of my skybond slightly better. I think the skybond might have a more wire connection feel to them. But I will need more time to tell how the stretch and wind drag of the matrix feels.

I can't say yet for sure whether the lines are more visible than white ones. It will be interesting to see if they contrast better when it is cloudy or grey skies, and also lying on the ground.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a set of the Matrix 75' x 90# when I recently acquired a Badass. With kite purchase, there was a nice little discount which made it a no brainer.

Have used the lines maybe 1/2 dozen times on various kites and so far so good.  While the orange seemed bright to my eyes on the winder, I have found that in flight there are so many other things going on that I don't really notice it unless I expressly turn my mind to it. Functionally, they are invisible, which is kinda the way I want it. Clearly visible to the eye on the ground, however (mostly grass for me). A good thing.

Rather like the winder, too, which I am using along with Freilein straps.

Most of my other line is older and goes way back, including some ancient BlueLine which blends in to the sky even more I think.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Picked up a set of the Matrix 75' x 90# when I recently acquired a Badass. With kite purchase, there was a nice little discount which made it a no brainer.
Have used the lines maybe 1/2 dozen times on various kites and so far so good.  While the orange seemed bright to my eyes on the winder, I have found that in flight there are so many other things going on that I don't really notice it unless I expressly turn my mind to it. Functionally, they are invisible, which is kinda the way I want it. Clearly visible to the eye on the ground, however (mostly grass for me). A good thing.
Rather like the winder, too, which I am using along with Freilein straps.
Most of my other line is older and goes way back, including some ancient BlueLine which blends in to the sky even more I think.

Do you have the badass UL or STD? Really want to try a level one kite can’t decide badass or reloaded in UL or STD, any input would be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

5 hours ago, Steve R said:

Do you have the badass UL or STD? Really want to try a level one kite can’t decide badass or reloaded in UL or STD, any input would be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Went for the UL version of the Badass. I find that I now prefer lower wind days in general, or the times I want to fly seem lower wind days, not sure which way the causality works in my case.

Have just had it out a few times but absolutely enjoying it. So much so that I would also consider a STD. At the moment the standard portion of my kite bag is quite well represented, however, so no burning desire succumbed to. Yet.

My impression is that the Reloaded is a somewhat quicker little machine that one might want more to fly on shorter lines and/or smaller spaces. See also the response to your 3/4 kite question.

There are some cool youtube videos of both kites out there, which may help you decide what appeals more to you.

Was also considering the Reloaded, but there was appeal to me of a slower, more methodical mode of flying that I can see unfolding in front of these old eyes.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I decided to post an update on the Matrix 90# X 75' line set since I got a good session in using them a while back with several of my kites.

I used them for an hour or two in about 6 or 7 mph wind. My first impression of them was correct, I like my skybond 100# x 85' lines way better than the matrix lines. To me, the skybond lines have a more connected wired feel to them, and seem more responsive.

I couldn't tell if the matrix lines were stretching more than the skybond lines or not, or if that had anything to do with the feel or not. The Skybond line set is 10' longer than than the Matrix, and 10# higher rating.

The matrix lines seem like they are in between a standard spectra and a skybond line. Not as stiff as the skybond, but they do seem to have some type of coating on them. I like the more wired feel to the skybond lines and don't really care for the softer line feel of the spectra lines anymore.

I don't find the orange color of the Matrix lines to be any more visible on the ground or the sky.

Getting an accurate measurement of the lines using digital calipers isn't perfect since it tends to compress the line while trying to get a measurement. Taking multiple measurements, they look about the same, around .0190 in, or about .45 mm in diameter.

In summary, I don't see myself buying any more Matrix lines for my own use, but I do see some applications for them. They are a decent value and seem to be a decent line set so far, and are probably a good option for someone who bought a cheaper production kite that came with a poor quality line set. Also they are good to have around for other people to try out for comparison. Or a good line set for a thrashing on.

I am going to get some LPG line sets next even though they are said to pick up more debris in the sand than the skybond, and have less stretch than the skybond, I will have to see for myself.

• Like 1

I’ll add to this because I have many hours on a 90# set of matrix lines.   The coating is obviously wearing.  The orange color is faded and the lines have a grittier feel than when new.  There is no mistaking when you have 5 or 6 twists.  I have LPG sets in my bag with 5x the flight time that feel better when they are twisted.  My Skybond set hasn’t seen as much use, so I can’t compare wear, but I preferred Skybond slightly when both sets were new, and the gap has widened by a lot.  (Which isn’t a fair comparison, but it is what is.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cjay said:

So you like your LPC better than your skybond?

No, I wouldn’t say that.  I’ve had my LPG a long time, so they’ve seen a lot of use.  I only recently picked up the Skybond, but I like it a lot.  

1 hour ago, cjay said:

The reason I asked is because I see people preferring the LPG over the Skybond but not so much the other way around, so it will be interesting to try out the LPG for myself.

There seams to be a strong preference for LPG with quad flyers, and you are among lots of quad flyers here.  I find Skybond is more often the choice for dual flyers.  All anecdotal, of course.   Me?  I miss my Berry Blue line sets.  😝

• Like 1

Just a few personal experiences.. I'm a big fan of Skybond myself but some of my more recent Skybond purchases don't seem to be of the same quality as before.. I fly both LPG and Skybond and even Shanti Speedline depending on the need for that particular day.

I buy bulk and make my own linesets..

• Like 1

Same, I have SkyBond, Speed, and LPG in my bag. I have thought about getting some Matrix line for comparison, but have not. 

I have a slight preference for SkyBond at the beach because when I clean up it tends to have significantly less sand and grit in it, but all the lines pick it up. I soak and shake them all out when I get away from sand. Even so, I use all three. 

I tend to prefer LPG overall. All my oldest line sets are LPG, so they have proven to be the most durable for me, and over time they feel least scratchy.

Ultimately I fly whatever comes first to hand from the bag, and when I often end up equipping the family (myself, sometimes my wife and sometimes one or two children, sometimes friends) there are plenty of days when I have 3+ line sets of different brands rolled out. They are all good line. I would love to try Matrix but suspect ultimately it will be similar: good stuff but not something that steals the show. 

• Like 1