KiteLife Forum

Vented Kites

HiNator86

I got vented versions of kites I already had and are my favs to fly. Sometimes this comes as a "set" of kites per se....as any serious competitive flier or team does. I have no interest in kite competitions btw, but I know someone who does and has two different kites, but 4 versions of each one..sul, ul, stnd, vented. He is often in fly or die situations but that's competition.

I have a "set" of Pro Dancers....sul, ul, and vented....alas no standard, plus two standard and one vented Aerie Air fx's. The flight characteristics are similar across the board. I have heard however some vented versions of standard dualies do not share these similar characteristics....be forewarned.

These are the only vented versions of dual liners I have experience with, although I did have a vented Skyburner ADX I quite enjoyed, but sold it to someone who wanted to complete their "set". 

Quads are a total different story, but that's not part of your equation per se....

bt

• Like 1

I love my vented Mamba. Flies similar to the standard, so if you like the Mamba (as I recall you got one last year) this would be a good option. Ken makes them with removable windows that cover part of the vent so you can adjust to the wind speed. I have had no problem flying mine in winds over 20 mph with ease.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

My Sky Sport Design Mind Trick vented survived a tad over 40 mph gust. I've had it intentionally in 35 but much over 25 I might as well fly my Delta Hawk.It'll fly in 5 or 6 surprisingly well. Personality at 12 kite gets more firmer in it's tricks but stays the same from the low end to higher than I want to fly it. Roll ups are hard on a off kinda day but it's a kite when you're on can do a Slot Machine in 25 center window. Kites taken some hard hits in the year I've had it. Handles gust really well but I can't trick in the center much over 25 yet.The only thing I've broken was a spreader yanking a line wrap. If I could only have 1 kite it'd be the one. Over 20 I can last 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours and I switch to my Psycho.

6 hours ago, DavidB said:

I love my vented Mamba. Flies similar to the standard, so if you like the Mamba (as I recall you got one last year) this would be a good option. Ken makes them with removable windows that cover part of the vent so you can adjust to the wind speed. I have had no problem flying mine in winds over 20 mph with ease.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

I'm glad to hear this. I like my Mamba and am getting a UL Moonie Mamba this year. I'd like to get a vented Mamba in the near future to finish out my set.

Thank you to all for the great advice on which kite to get. I think I have a line on a Vented Jam Session to go with my Jam that I already have.

I know there are still a bunch that want to weigh in, please do!

Thanks

Nator

I only have two vented duel line kites. Quantum pro variable vent, and a OSK Challenger Max. I’ve beat the snot out of the OSK kite and it’s held up well. Neither of these kites in my hands perform as well as non vented models. Glad you found one to put in your bag. I usually switch over to quads when the wind pics up.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

On 6/7/2019 at 5:33 AM, khsidekick said:

I only have two vented duel line kites. Quantum pro variable vent, and a OSK Challenger Max. I’ve beat the snot out of the OSK kite and it’s held up well. Neither of these kites in my hands perform as well as non vented models. Glad you found one to put in your bag. I usually switch over to quads when the wind pics up.

Is the difference drastic or only just noticeable?

Is the difference drastic or only just noticeable?

Big difference in the Q Pro but it has four panels that can be removed 2 at a time so the venting can be a little or a lot. The Challenger Max has 3/4 in or so holes all over the kite to let air thru. In moderate wind say 15 mph both kites fly awesome. Way less pull easy to control

Not a big fan of vented dual line kites. I have had over a dozen, and sold them all off. The two best were the QPro VV and the Mantis VV. Both kites performed the best with all the vent covers on, kinda like a heavy standard. I switched to flying vented 4 line kites when the wind is over 15mph and haven't looked back.

The highest wind dual liner that I have now is a Prism I2K with Spoilerz, if I really need a two line fix and the wind's a little high.

Not a big fan of vented dual line kites. I have had over a dozen, and sold them all off. The two best were the QPro VV and the Mantis VV. Both kites performed the best with all the vent covers on, kinda like a heavy standard. I switched to flying vented 4 line kites when the wind is over 15mph and haven't looked back.
The highest wind dual liner that I have now is a Prism I2K with Spoilerz, if I really need a two line fix and the wind's a little high.

How high of wind do you fly your I2K in with the spoilers? I have one with spoilers but haven’t tried them. I usually switch to quads as well.

How high of wind do you fly your I2K in with the spoilers? I have one with spoilers but haven’t tried them. I usually switch to quads as well.

2 minutes ago, khsidekick said:

I would say that ~15mph is the most I would want to fly the I2K in, I'm sure it would take more, though. When you use your Spoilerz, don't forget to adjust the bridle to the Spoilerz position...

illusionHighWindSpoilers.pdf