KiteLife Forum

What exactly is a bridle?

john030477

At the risk of sounding patronizing, I look at a kite's bridle pretty much the same way as a bridle for a horse. The bridle for a horse is a "line - sorta" that steers the horse. A bridle on a kite is similar; it's a line arrangement attached to the kite for steering.

Although there are some kites where the control lines are hooked directly to the kite, most kites have some short lines already attached to the kite where the control lines hook up.

If you pick up most any kite, you'll see these lines attached.

Hope I haven't offended anyone...

Doug

I usually refer to the bridle as any lines or arrangment of lines that are between the connection point of the flying line and the kite. Some bridles may be simple one line segments or can be as complex as one line that splits into 5 lines and then splits into 20-30 seperate lines before connecting to the kite (this configuration is usually found on larger power kites). Most dual line stunt kites will have two separate bridles one left and one right (one on each side of the kite) and will consist of three individual lines that connect to one center attachment point (standard 3 point bridle) on each side of the kite.

Here is a webpage that may help you understand more about the bridle:

General Kite Info Page

Hope that helps! ;)

It's important to note that Penny flies Revolutions exclusively, which can fly without a bridle... Dual line kites all require a bridle of some kind.

And the simplest way to answer "what is a bridle?"... It's the harness attached to the front of the kite, which you then attach your lines to. ;)