KiteLife Forum

First quad, looking at Rev Exp, HQ Mojo, or NewTech Volksquad, would appreciate input

chrispret

I'd like to get into quad kites, and I'm looking for a cheap(ish) beginner kite. I don't fly often enough that I think I will ever be an expert, but I know that quads are not easy to learn, and picking the wrong beginner kite makes it even more difficult.

I'm heading on a beach vacation for the next two weeks, and expect that there will be a few good days to fly, so I'd like to pick up something in the area (Florida Cocoa beach/St Augustine), and the only kites I can find at or under $200 are the Rev Exp, HQ Mojo, or NewTech Volkquad. I'm also trying to see if I can pick up a used Rev, but don't want to bargain on that.

So, long winding intro over, from what I've read:

• Rev Exp is ok, but a bit sluggish.
  • The Mojo is quite twitchy and nobody really said anything truly positive about it.
  • Volksquad is a bit of a dark horse, not much out there, but the price tag of $160 including lines and handles makes me wonder if it is worth considering.
  • I've also seen good words about the Freilein/OSKUSA Vertigo, but it is not easily available in the area, and a bit more pricey than I want.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Rev Exp, but was hoping someone here with more knowledge could weigh in.

the rev will do more flight-wise, whether you master it (or not) is a personal choice

that first one will get beat-up learning, the Rev is more durable (all three will be utterly destroyed with a hard diagonal crash at full speed flying forward). Practice flying slow and make tiny movements to learn their effects FIRST

"good lines" and a set of proper flying handles almost equals your total budget, compromising on these aspects is like trying to hill-climb with drag racing slicks for tires.  Your connection to the kite is almost more important the thing at the other end of the strings!

I wish somebody was close by to offer assistance, we all want you to succeed!

EXP (That freilein is worth a few Katchup sandwiches necessary to justify the add'l expense if you choose to wait)

Definitely don’t get the Mojo. Fast and twitchy, even with the air brakes attached. I put mine away a couple of years ago. I saw it in the quad bin the other day and may try it again (or not). I’m not even sure I remember how to assemble it.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

I have had the Volksquad for 5 or 6 years. I also have a Rev New York Minute that I just purchased a month ago.
I learned the basics of quad line flying on a Flexifoil Sting Power kite. Obviously very different than a quad line Rev style kite. When I first flew the Volksquad I used the Rev video tutorials to get started. I purchased the Volksquad for the same reasons you mentioned. It is a decent set up for the price. It is a heavy kite compared to the Rev, you need some decent wind. If the wind starts to die out the kite falls like a brick. It has an adjustable tensioner that changes the shape of the kite. I don’t remember getting any directions with the kite but basically if you tighten it up it is easier to fly and it is good to fly in strong wind. With the kite de-tensioned it is more difficult to fly but more maneuverable. The kite bag it comes with is nice. Overall the kite flys like a Mack truck but is fun.
The Rev is a lot lighter, has an Icarex Sail (Purchased mine from Dave at the Kite Connection) Laser Pro Gold lines and the handles are lighter and have more of a curve. The kite flys like an F1 race car compared to the Volksquad. So much so that my first couple of times flying I had difficulty because I was used to putting in so much control input to maneuver the Volksquad that I was over steering the Rev.
The Rev ready to fly was about $345 ish.
If I could go back I probably would buy a Rev Exp instead of the Volksquad. That said I have had fun with the Volksquad and will keep it for high wind days when I want to rip around.
I tried to use the Volksquad handles with the Rev and save some $. It was a mistake, they are heavy and lack a feel for the kite. I ended up buying Rev handles and the difference is amazing.
All in all, Quads are a black hole that will swallow you, eat your money and leave one hell of a grin on your face!
I am already modding and tuning my Rev looking forward to more flight time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really good points exposed already Mojo and Volsk are out of question for a beginner and personal i will add Eliot. you have another cheap option what require a bit of work for you. Buy from EBay a Chinese quad, you will find 3-4 different models, after this buy a Revolution bridle or go beyond that and order a 1.5 French bridle. Chinese quad may come RTF , the handles are good but change the lines. do this and you will have a quad better then EXP really close then 1.5 

You could also try something like a

Prism Synapse Dual-line Parafoil Kite

I didnt want to go this route because I thought I could handle flying a quad, bot I was wrong, but I am also invested so I cant turn back now.  Whatever choice you make, just be patient with it, I made by first flight the other day and wanted to pull my hair out.  But many people here started to give me pointers and tell me almost everyone has trials and errors, dont give up.

Buy an EXP ready-to-fly (includes lines and handles) package online or from your local kite shop. About $220. You can add longer lines and vented kites later. Learn how to control the beast first, then worry about getting fancy.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

turning back to dual is any time possible but starting dual to eventually fly quads is wrong. dual and quad are compatible just because both need wind. Mechanics and fly them are totally different. at dual you use the arm length to turn at quads one of the bottom lines.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your input.

User @Corey Bell has generously hooked me up to fly with him yesterday and he helped me get a kite (one if his Rev 1.5’s) into the air and fly for a few hours. It was a lot of fun, and with his great help, I was able to actually fly and do some basic stuff.

I will probably go with the Rev EXP. I understand it’s not a forever kite, but right now it’s what I can afford and from everything I see it’s the best choice from what I have available and can afford.

Thanks again @Corey Bell and everyone else for their input.

Edited by chrispret
  • Like 5

Also looking to get into the quad line game after a family vacation to Lincoln City this past week and checking out the kite festival - which was absolutely amazing! Just saw a 20% discount code on Facebook (creeper advertising algorithms) for the revolution site (NYM2019) which brings the EXP down to the $170s incl shipping, which is what I’m going to pull the trigger on. After some fun with my 2 line stunt kite and trainer 2 line power kite, I’m excited to see how it goes with the quad. 

I ended up getting a 1.5 RX, because the shop I planned to buy the Exp from was out of stock, and offered me a good deal on an RX they had on display.

I’ve had great wind for the past few days, my wife’s already complaining (mostly in jest) that I’m spending too much time flying :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrispret said:

I ended up getting a 1.5 RX, because the shop I planned to buy the Exp from was out of stock, and offered me a good deal on an RX they had on display.

I’ve had great wind for the past few days, my wife’s already complaining (mostly in jest) that I’m spending too much time flying :)

This is one thing you can count on to be a constant for as long as you fly kites. It is what gives kite flyers' lives great stability. 😀

13 hours ago, Steve702 said:

Also looking to get into the quad line game after a family vacation to Lincoln City this past week and checking out the kite festival - which was absolutely amazing! Just saw a 20% discount code on Facebook (creeper advertising algorithms) for the revolution site (NYM2019) which brings the EXP down to the $170s incl shipping, which is what I’m going to pull the trigger on. After some fun with my 2 line stunt kite and trainer 2 line power kite, I’m excited to see how it goes with the quad. 

I was there as well and festival was amazing. I only flew on the north side of the river. Was mainly on 30ft lines and like to move while I fly, flying a quad under and  around  everyone else was challenging but fun. I felt like part of the fest, like the random juggler walking through a fest. I had people that had never seen a quad start filming me, stating that they had never seen such precise control, then I drop a catch and throw and nail it!  Poof minds blown. Flew some team with 2 other kitelifers after that farther down the  beach. Good times.

• Like 1

I was there as well and festival was amazing. I only flew on the north side of the river. Was mainly on 30ft lines and like to move while I fly, flying a quad under and  around  everyone else was challenging but fun. I felt like part of the fest, like the random juggler walking through a fest. I had people that had never seen a quad start filming me, stating that they had never seen such precise control, then I drop a catch and throw and nail it!  Poof minds blown. Flew some team with 2 other kitelifers after that farther down the  beach. Good times.

It was fun flying with you we will definitely have to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app