KiteLife Forum

Help this noob spend some money!

Bendkiter

Quick details. I am male, 56 yrs. old 5'8" about 175lbs. I am both strong and fit for my age. I own a few single line "set and watch" kites for the beach. One cheapo dual line stunt kite(about 40" wingspan) and a new HQ Symphony Pro 2.2. I just got the HQ and have only one shakedown flight that went fine, but I guess I am still in beginner status based upon line time. The cheapo stunt kite is hella challenging in high winds on the Oregon coast, but I can fly it fairly fast and have not destroyed it yet. Perhaps a dozen high wind flights and my only crashes were landing it. I feel pretty confident in my basic two line skills. I am not about traction sports or even serious skudding. I like to carve up the sky! Former full size pilot and RC pilot, so I know and love wind/air!

Here is my question. I want to add one more kite to my quiver for this summer. I know that I want a fairly big framed stunt kite. Something that can do nice big, slow, simple tricks in moderate wind. I can handle big pull if it crops up, but thinking of something more relaxing than my mini that screams.

I have been eyeing the Prism Quantum, or should I go bigger? What say you kite gurus? And, TIA!

Given your location in Oregon, you're able to make a day trip to try out several options with other people's kites. That's the cheapest and easiest way to try them all.

It would be a full day, but I'm certain there are plenty of people willing if you're able to make the drive. There are plenty of worse things then spending a Saturday at Lincoln City or Long Beach or Ocean City.

You just missed the Lincoln City kite fest last weekend. It was a great time and I got to fly team quads with some fellow kitelifers. I have a kymerra with an ultra lite frame in it, if you want to try it. I think thier still 50% off at  Into the Wind? Or if you really want to start spending money there's always quads. I could meet you at Pine Nursery tomorrow afternoon, I have a kymera and a 4d, for duals and a full bag of quads. I don't hnow anyone else in town that flys regularly. The fairgrounds in Redmond  has cleaner air and way less people. It's worth the drive.

• Like 1

Seems like what you're describing as a want are team kites. The only ones I know about in the U.S. that interest me are the Skyburner Tica and Level One One Eleven. Quantum would be faster, more pull and the lower wind range according to reviews is a lot higher than stated.Moderate winds for me are 8 to 15. At 15 Quantum would be pulling pretty hard with some boogie in it. 18+ and you're probably done. The other 2 will do 3 to close to 25 but one pays a hefty chunk of cash. I fly to trick so about 3 minutes of flying like you've described is about it for me. The few times that I go out with the intention of precision flying I use a old Condor Griffin. Not a trick in it but slow precision stuff is what it was designed for. There are more team kites in the European market but like the other 2 EXPENSIVE. Ebay has some new Quantums for $82.00 which is about as cheap as I've seen them.Seen the Quantum but never flown one. It's not a kite for my taste because of why/how I fly. There are folks here that are big fans of it.

12 hours ago, DTill said:

a full bag of quads.

FEAR THE QUADS. They come from a dark, dark place!! I have 2 so I know 😱.

• Like 1

The Prism Hypnotist is bigger than the Quantum, and will take you further down the road as far as capabilities. I just flew a Hypnotist for the first time in about 10 years, and was very impressed with it. Plus, it's a bargain at less than $150.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, riffclown said:

You could also consider modding the Symphony to four line.. It will put a new smile on your face.

Agreed a quad line foil is superior to a dual line, solo re -launches are a breeze and re -launch just like a rev, you can also slow it down as well as do tight spins again just like a rev. It doesn't have the same amount of technical control as you mainly just fly off the top lines like a dual line foil. The bottom lines mean you can slow it down, even stop and do hovers as well as land the quad inverted or normal.

Seems pretty capable to me.

I guess Flic Flacs are out of the question but Brett Marchel has axel'd one. I could hardly believe it until I saw the video. YES they have a 2 line bias but they'll put a grin on your face that doesn't fade easily. It is the easiest (and possibly cheapest) way to transition from two to four lines since you don't need the brakes for stability.