KiteLife Forum

2019 WSIKF Quad Field RSVPs

John Barresi

Greetings, it's been a long time since I've been here. The reason is, I'm in walkie talkie hell. Decided to go to wsikf on short notice and had to scramble to get talkies. Problem is the two brands they sell locally only have the 2.5 jack and I can't get any thing to work onn and uniden are the models. Tried an 2.5 mm mono to 3.5 stereo adapter ,no good, tried an universal 2.5 mm headset that should have worked on the onn (walmart) no good. Have an 2.5.mm stereo to 3.5 stereo adapter on order and a even a 3 ring headset as well. Both should be here tomorrow but I have doubts they will work either. Last resort, buy the Midland John listed.  I have only two 3.5 mm earbuds at this time (returned the 2.5 one back to walmart) argh. Any advice? 

My Unidens came with earpiece/mic combos included, you didn't get those? if you do get Midland, get the set that has earpieces too. The Midland's are a proprietary plug setup, but can use a normal earbud set for listening only. One  of my team members likes his earbuds and uses them instead of those that come in the set. My Uniden mic/earpiece is comfy enough to use, even if it is 'universal".

Hey Wayne and John, thanks for the replies. No headsets/w mic around here, I did find out the two I did get wont work with std 2 ring headsets. I did order a 3 ring headset that may work from amazon, will be here tomorrow. I also took John's advice and ordered the Midlands he recommended w/ the mono adapter. If plan a works then Amazon will take the Midland and adapter back. I like the onn and or the uniden as they both use aa's which I prefer and have 23m range the uniden were 50$ and the walmart onn were 30$.I really had to get the bazooka out on this one ha,ha. Somethings gotta work. 

• Like 1

Hi there dtill, you may be able to shack up with us, were camping at pacific holiday a little north of long beach. It won't be free though, in not sure what they charge for extra vehicle and or tent but I can find out. I paid 30$ per night for my boy and I. Your welcome to join us but it wont be free sorry just can't but I can call them tommorrow if your interested. Or if you hurry maybe you can get a spot of your own. Be aware there's no tables there just a grassy area but you can hear the surf. Will check back here tommorrow good luck

1 hour ago, DTill said:

Any chance at beach camping if I bumped up there for a few days? Ive got a beach capable vehicle  and a tent. Realy short notice, but I could sleep in the back of my truck.

Yeah, sleeping on the beach is illegal. :(

44 minutes ago, kitedad said:

Hey Wayne and John, thanks for the replies. No headsets/w mic around here, I did find out the two I did get wont work with std 2 ring headsets. I did order a 3 ring headset that may work from amazon, will be here tomorrow. I also took John's advice and ordered the Midlands he recommended w/ the mono adapter. If plan a works then Amazon will take the Midland and adapter back. I like the onn and or the uniden as they both use aa's which I prefer and have 23m range the uniden were 50$ and the walmart onn were 30$.I really had to get the bazooka out on this one ha,ha. Somethings gotta work. 

Good stuff. 👍🏻

Remember, you don’t want to mess around  with a mic at all unless you plan on leading a team - typically non leading pilots just have earbuds, no mic in the line. Simpler is better. 😇

Better check those Unidens, mine use "AAA" or the included battery packs. I bought rechargeable batteries to use after my packs went bad.

And YES, turn the VOX feature OFF! Using the VOX feature will jam John's broadcasting for everyone. Turn it OFF!

Hey Wayne, thanks again, your unidens must be the smaller 16m range version, they had that at Freddie's as well, I chose the larger one with aa's for longer run time and I am going to use them for other purposes besides the kite festivals. I live in an area of thick forest much of the time and I can use them at the ski slope to talk to the boy as well so more power should help I have enough aa's and only a few aaa rechargeables so that factored in as well. I'm getting a handle on the 2 ring 3 ring thing or trs and trrs  as their called. Too techy no? Problem is the manufacturer doesn't tell you which one to use anywhere. On my way to pick up the 3 ring 2.5 headset in a few. The Midland's John suggested looks to be a old school 1 ring or ts connector which is a mono connector no mic capability. That's ok, btw t stand for tip r is ring and s is shank. The extra ring in trrs is for the mic. My head is starting to spin now, I'm heading out to pick up the 3 ring headset at the locker, confused much? Sorry for the novel here, I just retired a week ago because I ramble too much. Lol. Looking forward to seeing all at the fest, should be a real hoot getting 100+ quads on the air at once.😄

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:12 AM, Paul LaMasters said:

bringing your own rain-gear almost always assures "not needing it" at all, there's really no bad weather, only a poorly-equipped kite flier outside with the rest of us!

True, true, that's what happened at Greyland last month, wasn't supposed to rain left raingear at home and we get on the beach and its drizzling. didnt even show up on radar but no less wet.😂 it went away around 10:30 so all was well, weather channel is down to 30% now, probably will change again, must be all the positive vibes ...yeah that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, we’re in the home stretch now - just three more pilots left to identify in the 1010 World Record fly - help us if you can!

At this point, exact position in the grid is arbitrary - we’re just trying to complete the list of 101 at this point. ✌️

https://www.facebook.com/1357938423/posts/10220794335272376?sfns=mo

8 minutes ago, John Barresi said:

Okay, we’re in the home stretch now - just three more pilots left to identify in the 1010 World Record fly - help us if you can!

At this point, exact position in the grid is arbitrary - we’re just trying to complete the list of 101 at this point. ✌️

https://www.facebook.com/1357938423/posts/10220794335272376?sfns=mo

Great job John, the follow-up after the sale!!