KiteLife Forum

New kite, first flight!

Bendkiter

Had my first outing with my new HQ 2.2 Pro Foil. It was probably not an ideal scenario and I struggled. I went to the local soccer fields. No one around when I arrived. I went to the double field and set up. OOOPS! forgot sand bags...not good, but got `er up. Winds were probably around 10mph, but with trees, fences, backstops, goal nets, it seemed to be very choppy. The left tip of the wing kept collapsing when nearing the left edge of the window. Same on the right. I guess I am saying the wind window was super narrow, but seemed to be tall. I could fly almost overhead before any sign of stall. I kinda got backed into the infield area and things got interesting! Then a few father/daughter groups came and started kicking the soccer ball around too close for comfort and safety, so I packed it up. My best flight was maybe 2 minutes over 45 minutes at the field, but a few nice loops each way and a couple low, fast passes each way along with a few epic crashes, one into a tree. I am going in search of some wide open tomorrow. Next week, we hit the coast (Yachats Or) for the weekend. Cant wait to get after some beach flying if it seems safe enough. First flight with any kite over 15 bucks, so Imma call it a win! Just thought I'd share. P.S. my gut is telling me that I am going to end up a low wind/ Rev kite kinda guy when all is said and done.

Welcome to KiteLife!!  Listen to your gut,  Your kite is a great transition into four line flying with a small bit of alteration.  Remember that white knuckled feeling. You'll be trying to recapture it many times in the future.

Larger dual line foils are a floppy bin bag in anything but perfect winds, in the sky they struggle and on the ground re launching can be a pain. Look out for a Quad foil or something with a bar and a 3rd line (3rd line is two lowers from a quad secured as a solo line to a bar) a quick tug gets you airborne again. A quad foil flies from the top lines just like a dual line, the lowers are brakes their similarities to say a Rev are tiny. I would say you need a helping hand flying dual line foils solo.

• 2 weeks later...

Link doesn't seem to work. Might need to make it viewable to the public. I flew with a friend on the beachs on the S.E. side of Wickiup reservoir on Sat. South of the dam.  Had great wind, several kite boarders were out. One guy said it wasn't enough wind? At the same time I almost switched to my full vent. I think he was afriad to put it in the power zone.