KiteLife Forum

Diamonds Build (Purple, Royal and Flo Green)

riffclown

The Center pattern has been completed, Initial LE Trim has been done and sewing is underway.

The rulers are place to give a very rough sizing of the final kite. Everything outside the yellow rulers will be part of the bag along with the initial LE trim or waste. The initial LE trim leaves an additional inch at the top to allow me to trim the loose threads from sewing at the same time I trim to marry it to the LE. Hoping to try this kite out at the Wright festival before sending it on its way to the new owner.

****NOTE, because I don't use an actual pattern all of my kites really are slightly different, I do bridle test each one along with a test fly if possible. If it's not a kite I would keep for myself,  it's not a kite I would pass on to others..

20190706_110452.jpg

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Robot-Engineer said:

I am just getting started with kite design.  What software do you use to design before you sew the sails?  Thanks.  

To visualize the finished color layout, I use a colorizer that I adapted for my needs for my diamonds pattern layout but no software designs for these..

The entire pattern for the overall kite is in my head. I only use layout boards for bridles and leading edge. It's amazingly undisciplined. That's what no two of my kites either look or fly alike.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:42 AM, Robot-Engineer said:

I am just getting started with kite design.  What software do you use to design before you sew the sails?  Thanks.  

it's not specialized for kites, but I've had good luck with LibreCAD.  Plus it's free to download.