Jump to content
KiteLife Forum
thebbqguy

Fighter Kite Question

Recommended Posts

I saw a fighter kite flying at Belle Isle today. Can they be purchased or do I have make one from scratch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edmond Dragut said:

I tried to contact them online but their online form doesn't work for me today. I'll call later when I have time. I am interested in whether the red Hata is ready to fly or I need to order additional items with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it is RTF, but....... If you plan to use it as a fighter, I'd suggest getting the 2 fighter lines they sell. Those lines are specifically designed for fighters, easier on the hands. Probably need spools for them too, but look first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw one yesterday flying off and on at the kite festival. I like the way it flies. It's different and interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what you see is pilot skills, usually fighter kites have an unbalanced bridle make them to have a left right movement. all that crazy fly evolution is pilot input on the line depending where is the kite nose and in what direction pilot what to send him. the main reason for that is to cut other lines or to make other kites to fall on the ground 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Edmond Dragut said:

what you see is pilot skills, usually fighter kites have an unbalanced bridle make them to have a left right movement. all that crazy fly evolution is pilot input on the line depending where is the kite nose and in what direction pilot what to send him. the main reason for that is to cut other lines or to make other kites to fall on the ground 

I talked with him a bit and he explained that I might find it pretty challenging. He was flying it low but with a lot of movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Chennai a few years ago. Sunday evening of my arrival was fascinating. Kites were being flown on every building after 4 p.m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 4:04 PM, thebbqguy said:

I tried to contact them online but their online form doesn't work for me today. I'll call later when I have time. I am interested in whether the red Hata is ready to fly or I need to order additional items with it.

 

On 7/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, Wayne Dowler said:

I believe it is RTF, but....... If you plan to use it as a fighter, I'd suggest getting the 2 fighter lines they sell. Those lines are specifically designed for fighters, easier on the hands. Probably need spools for them too, but look first.

 

The ITW Hata is ready to fly, with a basic line of (something like) 300 feet of 20# or so on mine. I was flying it today, and it is a steady, easy to fly single liner with the velcro'd tail attached, and quite a bit less stable sans tail, as a fighter should be.

It is easy to fly from the hand with the tail as one might expect, but a second person would be useful for a launch in fighter mode at least in the early stages. I used the netting of a soccer goal as my assistant, but have also used a sideline bench, my kite bag or even a hole in the ground for the spine tip such as today (the field had been aerated recently). 

I used some 9# cotton line from India that worked pretty well, and is lighter than the line that comes with. The standard line should be fun enough for a while if one wanted to keep the order simple.

Quite a hoot, really, and the $20 price tag is great value for money in fun.

.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew the Hata today. With the tail attached, it's a pleasure to fly. My wife flew it for 30 minutes with no issues whatsoever while I flew my dual line foil.

I tried it without the tail too. It flies well, but is more challenging. The wind was too strong on the coast of Lake Erie this afternoon to fly it as a fighter comfortably. I didn't  want to risk crashing and destroying it the first time out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, thebbqguy said:

I flew the Hata today. With the tail attached, it's a pleasure to fly. My wife flew it for 30 minutes with no issues whatsoever while I flew my dual line foil.

I tried it without the tail too. It flies well, but is more challenging. The wind was too strong on the coast of Lake Erie this afternoon to fly it as a fighter comfortably. I didn't  want to risk crashing and destroying it the first time out.

 

Good stuff. My experience as well.

The kite is so unstable without the tail that it is tricky. With time one gets better at developing the feel of when to apply pressure: when pointed in the direction you want, pull a bit and it tends to go straight(er) in that direction. Release, and it's natural tendency is to spin. 

Rinse, repeat 

To get a feel of the transition, it may help to try a length of light surveyor's tape or lengths of fat yarn tied onto the base of the spine in lieu of the factory tail - start with say half the standard tail length (my factory one is dual piece). Substitute progressively shorter bits or just tear off hunks.  

And wind conditions are a factor as you say, particularly at first. Lighter end of the wind range to start.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

It is all fun!

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...