KiteLife Forum

Removing split upper leading edge (ITW Hydra)

arbitrary

I bought a ITW hydra recently and managed to break an upper leading edge spar on it in the first session :(.

Anyone have tips on where to buy replacement rods (dynamic dt15?) and how to extricate the broken rod from the kite? I'm completely new to this and unlike the bottom rod the top one does not seem to want to move much (maybe the yoyo stopper is attached?)

I'm assuming that mixing rods is a bad idea...?

Thanks!

Mixing tubes isn't a good idea. Last DT15s I got from Wind of Change. Writing might come in a different color. Undo C clips and stopper.  LE will slide out of the tunnel. It could take a bit of a tug to release from the nose. Make sure the end cap doesn't come off staying lodged in the nose. If it does be easy in getting it out. When reassembling make sure tube fits into the nose correctly.Take your measurement and wrap in tape so the cut doesn't splinter the tube. Use a very fine tooth saw or as I do a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Lightly sand the cut end. Cut out the ferrule in the broken tube to reuse. Seems more daunting then it is. 15 more times and you'll be a pro LOL.Get a couple spare tubes.Shipping cost suck so it's a good time to build a care package for your kite. I've not broken a Dynamic LE but have taken out a few LS on my Hydra and Mind Trick.It's not a big deal getting a different brand for the LS as long as the strength is comparable. Switching to Sky Shark makes things a bit stiffer. The change in flight is very small. I have a lighter LS for 5 to 15 mph on my vented kite. Heavier for 15+.

• Like 1

Thanks Breezin! 

Dynamic tubes seem like they're pretty hard to get. Hopefully I end up being able to find some.

If I end up not being able to find any, what's the skyshark equivalents?

Are the grams in the tube supposed to match up, e.g. dynamic DT15 = skyshark 5PT, dynamic D15= skyshark P2X or does it not work like that? (also i'd probably have to replace the whole LE huh 😕)

Kites and Fun Things have given me A+ service. For me Skyshark tubes have been the easiest to grasp the differences. The upper LE would probably change the kites response the least. Paul DeBaker designed the Focus Hydra. He did some changes with ITW for Chinese production. Think he still works at Goodwinds but if not contact him at Level One USA. Might as well talk to the master 😊. Seems somewhat silly but the way a kite flexes is important to it's design. Takes some time on the lines but you will begin to notice. Love the way my Hydra flies. Where and how I fly has really tattered the kite. Rarely fly it anymore unless grandkids are visiting. The kite that I THINK will be similar with more durability is the Benson Superfly. Been wanting one for well over a year. I've had the money saved for awhile now but have yet to pull the trigger. Guess I've thought about it for so long I don't want the fantasy to end.

• 2 weeks later...

Thur. morning I had sweet winds at least for here. 5 to 10 smooth cycles and I was excited. Flew my Premier Nighthawk and was on right from the start.Bought it new but blemished on the cheap. 2nd one and I have a blast on Nighthawks.When it's worn out I'll get a Wolf NG immediately.Most days I try to push the envelope. Get excited and start slamming my standard full size kites around.Nighthawk is always with me for times like that. Put it up in the air and it calms me down. It's speed and agility helps me regain focus. Some days like Thurs. it's the only kite I want to fly. Little over a hour in tip landing broke ULE at the ferrule. Like to do sharks, cartwheels and tip landings on that kite a lot. Tube had weakened over time and broke on a fairly light landing. Point is depending on what you like to do frames weaken.Even the pros break things albeit probably not as much as me. My last spare P90 has been used. 3 spares are now on the list for my next order. GRRR. Crossing my fingers that I won't break another P90 in the meantime.It's times like these that I have to remind myself I'd spend more in gas and repairs on my CR 250 MX bike in a weekend than I have spent in a year of kite repairs. Haven't broken any bones flying a kite yet either LOL. Hoping you're not to bummed and your kite is back in the air.Let us know how it's going. Hydra is VERY kite cool IMO. For a good while it was my most flown even though I had Sky Sport Design, Skyburner and Blue Moon Kites. Fixing to go fly it now.Fly it, break it, fix it, repeat as needed.

14 hours ago, arbitrary said:

Got a few good crashes in but it seems like everything is still holding together 😃.

WEEELLLL lucky you .Hour in yesterday and dang  CRACK IMG_20190817_111214572.jpg Winds were running 15 having a blast but going higher. Was really in the zone and didn't want to stop flying the Hydra.Getting ready to go vented but obviously waited to long. 4th Hydra spreader I've broken and all on the same side go figure. Kites going to be down awhile for some much needed restoration. The shopping list steadily grows as the days FLY by.Get it? FLY by. Man I CRACK myself up.Get it? CRACK goes the tube. Okay I'll stop being stupid for now. Except today I'll probably do the same stoopid mistakes practicing the Comet'e that have lead to the last 3 broken tubes on 3 different kites sigh.I WILL nail that trick eventually. Comete has been the costliest trick for me to learn by far.Lam Hoac told me it took him a year to learn it so I still have hope.Little over a year now at the miserable thing but the sometimes getting it right is worth it. That's what I keep telling myself anyways LOL.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On 8/18/2019 at 9:03 AM, Breezin said:

WEEELLLL lucky you .Hour in yesterday and dang  CRACK IMG_20190817_111214572.jpg Winds were running 15 having a blast but going higher. Was really in the zone and didn't want to stop flying the Hydra.Getting ready to go vented but obviously waited to long. 4th Hydra spreader I've broken and all on the same side go figure. Kites going to be down awhile for some much needed restoration. The shopping list steadily grows as the days FLY by.Get it? FLY by. Man I CRACK myself up.Get it? CRACK goes the tube. Okay I'll stop being stupid for now. Except today I'll probably do the same stoopid mistakes practicing the Comet'e that have lead to the last 3 broken tubes on 3 different kites sigh.I WILL nail that trick eventually. Comete has been the costliest trick for me to learn by far.Lam Hoac told me it took him a year to learn it so I still have hope.Little over a year now at the miserable thing but the sometimes getting it right is worth it. That's what I keep telling myself anyways LOL.

What did you use to replace the bottom spreader?

I'm trying to find a bottom spreader for my Hydra and the dt-15 rod just doesn't seem available.

Going to probably use sky shark just not positive which rod would be best yet.

Call Flying Wings. I ordered several dt15 spars from them just a few weeks ago. Other shops may also have some, obviously, but they seemed to have plenty in stocks. 

From their receipt: 

Pacific Quest International LLC.

Dba. Flying Wings Kites

Toll-Free: 1.800.728.0704

TEL: 408-955.9804 

• Thanks 1

i've used sky shark II 3pt on a couple hydras with no noticeable effect...the sky sharks are a little smaller in outside diameter so some masking tape is needed to fatten up the small end. i would like to find some black masking tape for appearance but a black felt pen kinda works. good luck