KiteLife Forum

Stopper materials?

RythmFlyer

Just wondering...aside from molded plastic c-clip stoppers, is there a type of plastic/vinyl/rubber tubing also commonly used to make stoppers for carbon rods? I’ve see something like this on several (dual line) kites and it seems like a nice low profile way to go compared to the c-clips for some situations. Thanks for any info on this. 

You can buy heat shrink tubing with adhesive on the interior (hot glue).  This works really well and is very light and low profile.  It’s easier to remove than glued clips, too.

I’ve also used a couple wraps of vinyl tape (electrical) and it holds up pretty well, but will need to be replaced occasionally.  It takes a beating if you fly on the beach.

• Like 1

You can buy heat shrink tubing with adhesive on the interior (hot glue).  This works really well and is very light and low profile.  It’s easier to remove than glued clips, too.
I’ve also used a couple wraps of vinyl tape (electrical) and it holds up pretty well, but will need to be replaced occasionally.  It takes a beating if you fly on the beach.

Thanks for the info! That makes a lot of sense... However is there a stiffer plastic tubing that is also used often? What I am seeing on my kites looks closer to a shiny black vinyl material, similar to end caps. Although, I guess it could also be that as the heat shrink tubing shrinks in size it also gets glossy, thickens up and stiffens looking more like vinyl?...

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

image.thumb.png.fcbfff246110b619ae77411d7fb60290.png

There are lots of versions.  The one pictured (random image search) is called "heavy duty" and looks a bit like a vinyl end cap material.  Honestly, though, I would think the thinnest kind you can find would be best.  It's not as if a snug fitting is going to slide over it.

image.thumb.png.fcbfff246110b619ae77411d7fb60290.png
There are lots of versions.  The one pictured (random image search) is called "heavy duty" and looks a bit like a vinyl end cap material.  Honestly, though, I would think the thinnest kind you can find would be best.  It's not as if a snug fitting is going to slide over it.

That makes sense good point. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

On 8/10/2019 at 3:07 PM, RythmFlyer said:

Just wondering...aside from molded plastic c-clip stoppers, is there a type of plastic/vinyl/rubber tubing also commonly used to make stoppers for carbon rods? I’ve see something like this on several (dual line) kites and it seems like a nice low profile way to go compared to the c-clips for some situations. Thanks for any info on this. 

One distinct advantage of c-clips is that they can be stuck on an assembled kite. No need  in those cases to disassemble the leading edges and pull them out of the LE sleeves, which can be tricky particularly with tight connectors or some bridle attachment setups. But if you are taking it apart for replacing a broken rod, then that opens it up a bit. And, yes, they can look a little chunky.

Prism used to use the glue backed heatshrink method, perhaps still does. I have, too, particularly if trying to match the other side on a Prism or other kite. Some care needs to be taken with the heat as mentioned, and it does tend to wander slightly and creep a bit as it shrinks so need to monitor that in the installation process. I have used that also for reinforcing lower spreaders at the “T”, particularly when I have repaired a split rod where I felt the crack could be mended with glue. Some kites use it there routinely and it can look good, too, if done neatly (Steve Tapp Enigma).

I was just looking at the stoppers used on Lam’s Silver Fox 2.2 and it uses a clear vinyl tubing that looks kinda like the stuff used for air lines on aquariums. Neatly sliced, in the right size, it looks great for stoppers. Possibly ca’d. (A bit reminiscent of the tubing used in a heavier version as connectors in early 90s kites!)

I repaired a Flexifoil Psycho a while back that used the appropriate size of vinyl end cap (“VEC”) on the original, sliced in approx 1/4 inch donuts. Dab of CA did the trick. I had the rod out anyways in that case but I have also applied the VEC solution to an assembled kite by cutting them a little longer and slicing it lengthwise for whapping it in there with that bit of glue.

Another option I have seen is one or more rubber “O-rings” that you can get in the plumbing dept of the hardware store. Get it on the small side for the particular rod, and a bit of good glue. Not too obtrusive. (JoE Talon).

Those are some thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

could try slowly neatly thread wrapping to a chosen diameter to make a stopper in place and some 5 minute epoxy (a light coating!) to seal it off and provide shock-impact durability.  I've used this method to build up a stopper that is permanent on single lined gliders/static kites.

Enough glue to hold a set thread-locked fitting position and make a rigid structure to butt against, but not so much adhesive you have to break the tube to get it off again if necessary!

Could be decorative too, if you're so inclined, I've seen names spelled out in English and Japanese kanji thread wrapping onto a painted white tube (Harold Ames, his hand-dyed and painted Edo got him a trip to Japan for ten days, YEAH that good!)