KiteLife Forum

Prism ZeroG Tips?

8thelephant

Ok, so I've had great success with the iflite & iflite 2 and decided to try something even bigger and more complex...The ZeroG!
Took it to the park yesterday in no to light winds and tried manipulating the 2 canard adjustments but just can't seem to get it to return/fly/glide as shown in the videos. Did a multitude of glide tests/adjustments and it well sail away in a nice even decent until I attempt to pull on the string. Does anyone have some tips for this kite?

-8th

Start by throwing it away from you, out in front. Let it take as much line as possible. Let the line run out through your fingers. Don't grip the line too tight or you will cut your skin... trust me on that! When it is nearly at the ground take up the line tension. It will begin to rotate. Pull the line in steadily, hand over hand, making sure to maintain even tension. The G will fly in the direction when the tension is applied. Once it flies overhead or at the peak of its trajectory, let it take the line out. Repeat. Repeat. It will eventually take all the line you give it! Very peaceful to fly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

Also learn to take a step to one side or the other, it helps to create some angle to turn it. Some kites will just nosedive if you try pulling the line if the kite is gliding straight away from you. Ever try using a wand? Just makes your arm a little longer and gives you a bit more leverage.

I haven't flown my gliders outside, I fly them inside. Don't have the Z-G, but its smaller brother the Plutz 2 and its bigger brother the Mega-Plutz. No issues with either. I set mine up to have the nose slightly up, then adjust the pull point on the bridle towards the rear of the marked adjustments. You can see your nose orientation if you just toss it free of line.

If you're on FB, find the group Glider Geeks, lots of videos there on almost everything glider. Plus you can ask questions about anything glider there.

Happy gliding!!

You can dead launch a G too! On grass.
Put it on its back with the nose pointing away from you. Walk away from it letting out a good deal of line. At least 15 meters. Now take up a little tension, then a short pop and reel the line in and watch it climb.

4 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

You can dead launch a G too! On grass.
Put it on its back with the nose pointing away from you. Walk away from it letting out a good deal of line. At least 15 meters. Now take up a little tension, then a short pop and reel the line in and watch it climb.

Ah 15 meters! That's the problem....I tried a dead launch with about 2 meters of line. Needless to say, Zero-G didn't stay aloft for long.
Thanks again foe the advice Rob :)

The Zero G and me finally came to an understanding today :D

After a nice long session with several Dualies, the wind dropped down to about 2mph. So up the ZeroG went while taking everyone's+Glider Geeks suggestions into account and I managed to keep it aloft for a good 8min or so.  I discovered that launching this glider a few degrees to my left or right provides just enough of an offset to gently manage the change in return velocity. Successive launches went higher and higher and the dynamic of walking the kite suddenly made perfect sense. Now, totally excited to try using all the line instead of just 15 meters.

Thanks again Wayne & Rob for your insights.
-8th

• Like 2