KiteLife Forum

Challenge Polymax

Zuul

I've used it quite a bit. I've mixed it with Icarex with no issues. Good results. Keep in mind the grid on the challengemax is more like an ripstop grid than it is Icarex. One thing I have noticed about the PolyMax is it does have small color inconsistencies and the occasional run  or overlap wrinkle in the fabric. @$3 a yard I just work around it though.

Image4.jpgIcarex and Challenge PolyMax

Image31.jpgChallenge PolyMax and screen

Snowflakebacklit.jpg Challenge PolyMax

Image7.jpgChallenge Polymax and Icarex

I've mixed fabrics as a builder, but it is not recommended.  I've furnished Tie-dye poly rainbow and black Ixy to Lam for a kite too, the problem is the different characteristics of each (beyond color choices my question would be "why do it"?)

Now a different material for edge binding, sure that is common. Nylon stretches better than Ixy (say you were working a large slow curved image piece) The nylon should be on a 45 degree bias folded four times (quartered, the outside 1/4ers fold into the middle and the middle is folded in half again with half affixed/butted to the sail, so each side has a doubled-up thickness and it snugging the sail.  Do you hold it in place with hot tacking, painter's tape, water adhesion, spray tack adhesive, do you tape seam and then sew thru the tape.  Back-cutting one side or both?

different reactions to UV radiation, water, stretching, weave, etc.

Ixy comes in only fourteen colors and it is wildly expensive, but so is a Mecedes Benz car when a bus can get you downtown for a few bucks.  Still if you could financially, do it up right (you're adding your own value-added labor after all as a kite builder!) you could get a driver too!

The PolyMax holds a crease well, sews well and is a good very low cost fabric to work with..

The Cons, It does tend to have some wrinkles, color inconsistencies, and only comes in the one color.

If you are experimenting with a build idea, this is the lowest cost way to get there.

Thanks for the input everyone.  I like to build, but my “experiments” have never gone well, so I try to concentrate on well established plans now.  If it’s not something then works well with Icarex, I’m going to pass.