KiteLife Forum

Tail weight? Use, or not to use? Like/Dislike?

RythmFlyer

Hi All,

I’m sure this is old-hat for a topic but...I just can’t seem to get used to tail weights. Am I the only one? Do you like or dislike using tail weights on your dual? Do you find they make tricking that much better...or worse perhaps?

Just curious...I just don’t seem to connect well to kites when there is a weight on the tail...

As usual, thank you for any input!!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I try to use as little weight as possible, but some kites need weight in the tail. The trick is to find out how much through a lot of time & experimentation. Try it with the stock tailweight, then try it without. Spend at least 10 or 15 minutes with either configuration. Try it with 1/2 the stock tailweight to really fine tune, see how that goes. Once you figure out what works best for you, lock it in.

Certain kites like the Prism Zephyr come with a tail weight, I never use it. Others fly fine, even though they have as much as 20 grams (some more). Blue Moon Exile I fly with only 5 grams. I custom made a tailweight for my QPro that is around 10 grams, much less than the smallest weight in the weight kit, but just enough to get it to fly the way I like...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, makatakam said:

Also, a kite can be weighted anywhere along the spine to change stability and other performance features.

This is true, but it's my general theory that the less weight the better. I like to fly in low wind conditions, and save my four liners for double digit winds...

• Like 1

When I got my Sevens, I got a weight set with them and played around with different sizes. Ended up leaving the stock weight in. I found more "gains" in adjusting the AOA to suit my preference. Having a SUL, Std and Vtd helps more as I can go up or down a kite rather than having to adjust one kite to suit the conditions.
However, on my Temptation Std, I was recommended to put some extra weight in the wing tips. It was only 5g each but it added a lot more personality to it.
I think play around with a kite until you are happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

I got to the point on my Zephyr where I left the weight in. Couldn't really trick below  3 mph anyways. Sky Dog Black Dog and BMK Mongoose can fly pretty well in 3 to 4 w/o weights. Flip tricks are easier on the BD w/o weight. At 5 +  w/o weight I can feel a bounce in both kites. Not dramatic but as the kites load/unload I can feel it. Not unpleasant at all nor does it effect timing much. Just kind of a odd sensation. Hydra has 4 weights that I play with a lot. Don't know how to fly it with no weights very well. 2 weights at the bottom with the spacer in between the other 2 makes multi roll ups a snap. Spacer at the bottom with weights on top makes it easy to belly flop in light wind takeoffs. In  higher winds it's the easiest kite I have to do forward roll ups. Most often it's 2 for under 10 and 4 for 10+. Nice to have in my rollercoaster winds.Like Sparkie I have kites for the conditions and it's usually AOA adjustments for me.Weights in my other kites are always in. Got weights in my AC SUL wingtips. I THINK the weighted tips makes the kite super easy to Slot and Taz.The kite is very stable in 1.5 mph plus and SWEET. Got a spare LE with the kite but until one gives up the ghost I won't know how to positively make my own replacement.Having spares shipped from Canada every time the kite screams crack would just be stupid. It'll be a simple glue job. At this point in time I don't really care cause it ain't broke. FOR NOW !!

Another thing an adjustable or removable weight does is change performance characteristics for competition flying. Tail weight in for tracking and precision routines, out to make the kite less stable for tricking routines.

• Like 1
  • Like 1