KiteLife Forum

Quantum's 1st broken part......yeahhhhh

Salty

Tried to fly my quantum today in some low wind. Got about a half hour. Somehow managed to break the lower leading edge rod. Think I was being a bit too vigorous while yanking the line to do nose away belly launches. It seems to take quite a bit of input motion with that kite, so I was probably overly enthusiastic in my pull. Wish i could say it was a more spectacular high speed crash tho.....haha!!!!

14 hours ago, Salty said:

Wish i could say it was a more spectacular high speed crash tho.....haha!!!!

Oh my those are fun. Until they're not :cat_censored:.Bet ya had a tip wrap and didn't see it. Most of my LE breaks have come from bad tip landings. Most LS breaks from line wraps.

Think my wing tip just dug in a bit when I gave my launch tug. Couple weeks ago my girlfriend was tired of being my "re-launcher" so I started learning to belly launch with the kite pointed away. Not mention that I don't want to walk and lean it up against a soccer goal anymore. Once in the air, flying is no problem, but I'm trying to teach myself more. Been attempting half axles, so I'm relaunching a lot. Not to mention I'm inland and trying to fly in some lower on/off type of wind. Next kite purchase is going to be something that will go up easier in the lower wind range. 

• Like 1

Hated flying before I learned the ground recovery game, didn’t want to try anything new and then I spent an entire day over and over grounding it all over the window and relaunching, total game changer. Only one they kills me and it’s either the lack of wind or maybe the grass or sand I’m flying in but I can never relaunch belly down nose facing me. Anyone have tips for that?

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

On 9/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, Steve R said:

relaunch belly down nose facing me. 

The dreaded dead launch.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, Steve R said:

Anyone have tips for that?

Nope except ttttttry to enjoy the walk 😡.

The Prism video demonstrates a way to relaunch from the belly down nose in position. Looks like a big tug to bounce the nose up followed immediately by a smaller tug and walking backward to get air under the sail. Of course the pilot in the video makes it look easy, however, I am hesitant to try it.