KiteLife Forum

UL OR STANDARD?

Steve R

I see a lot of the low end is only 1-2mph less on UL vs Standard kites and the top range from most is 5-10mph more on the standards, after flying a maestro 2 standard kite in 15-20mph and 22mph sustained winds and gusts over 25mph it wasn’t even fun just dragged me all over the place. So even with my standard kites I wouldn’t even want to fly them over 15-18mph anyway so why not just use UL kites and tune them for for higher wind conditions if necessary? Looking to purchase a new kite that has a UL and STD option also my local kite shop is online only so I am unable to test either option

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Most kites that are rated to fly in 1-2mph will break in winds over 10mph, and they are too fast & light to do much with once the wind is over 5-6mph. If you're looking for an all-around kite to fly in 3-15 mph, the Prism Zephyr, Blue Moon Exile, or Skyburner Widow Maker would be great choices. The Zephyr is rated as an UL, but that is highly debated, a number of people can't get it to fly in low winds, but the other two are standards that will fly easily in less than 5mph of wind.

You won't be able to find the Exile or Widow Maker new (more than likely), but they do come up on the used market at a price comparable to the Prism Zephyr. Along those lines, a Prism Quantum Pro is rated 2-20mph, it is all the kite that most would ever need, but you will probably have to settle for used. If price isn't a concern, Lam's kites have a wide wind range, especially the kites that he rates as 'light'. I had a Sea Devil 'light' that would fly easily in 2mph of wind, and not be too out of control in 10mph+.

• Like 1

Add the Zephyr to the discontinued list. You might be able to still find it in shops til stock runs out.

Personally I throw out most published wind range recommendations. Why? Most are set by expert fliers, not your regular run of the mill fliers.  Some may be able to fly in 1 or 2 mph - are your skills as capable? Same with the high end. Trust how the kite feels and reacts in any wind range and don't overly push it. YMMV

• Like 1