KiteLife Forum

Snagless Handles

cerfvoliste

Hopefully JB will chime in.  He was talking about handles with me at WISKF about handles and said that he sees it as there aree basic types - based on where the bend in the handle is and how much the curve is spread out.   I didn't think to ask the "who makes them and how to get them" questions. 

While I don't think that equipment can ever compete with more flying time for improved skills, at times it can smooth the process.  I am flying on stock handles recently converted to no snag tips.  I have and have tried the Rev aluminum handles in both the 13 and 15" sizes and have not jelled with them.  They just don't feel right to me, a bit heavy and odd.  Recently the foam on my stock handles is getting oddly sticky, and not in a pleasant way.    Why would any equipment that will be frequently used in a sandy environment use that kind of foam?

Looking forward to hearing about where others have gotten non stock handles.  

3 main popular types, all having to do with how localized / wide the curve or bend in the handle is.

A wide curve provides the most central control, roughly speaking the bottom half of the foam should be curved, as well as another inch or so below the foam... Overall curved area covers something like 3"-3.5" of the handle length.

Handles that have a clear vector in the bend, or the bend is localized into less than 2", it makes the "tipping point" between forward and reverse much more abrupt, less grading between, especially on traditional quad bridles.

Not everyone will pick up on this, and its dependent on good tuning to be super relevant, but I'm here to tell you the right curve in my handle is critical to what I do for my stock and trade.

3 main popular types, all having to do with how localized / wide the curve or bend in the handle is.
A wide curve provides the most central control, roughly speaking the bottom half of the foam should be curved, as well as another inch or so below the foam... Overall curved area covers something like 3"-3.5" of the handle length.
Handles that have a clear vector in the bend, or the bend is localized into less than 2", it makes the "tipping point" between forward and reverse much more abrupt, less grading between, especially on traditional quad bridles.
Not everyone will pick up on this, and its dependent on good tuning to be super relevant, but I'm here to tell you the right curve in my handle is critical to what I do for my stock and trade.
Sounds like you went to the "drawing board"....

Living the Dream; One Nightmare at a Time.

Longer handles will suit light wind better. There is a but. There is no free lunch. Longer handles do accentuate your inputs as the lever is longer. However, once you have a certain amount of low wind skills you may prefer consistency in you "connection" point to the rest of your set. I used to have 15" handles on my light wind set up. Much more responsive as I used to chuck that kite around. Vigorously! Now though, it's 13"s all through the range.

Always try a different set up as it may suit your style. You like it, you'll adjust. Different flavours are fun.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Are handles something Kiteforge will offer in the near future?

• Like 1

Years ago, I had the fellow that makes JB's dogstake, make me several sets of handles. Made in 13", 14", and 15". I use the 15" in light wind, the 14" is my "regular" handle, and the 13" are my high wind set. I also had them bent a bit "flatter", more like indoor handles, for those of you familiar with them. Gives me a bit of extra brake already built in. 

If JB comes out with a more radius-ed handle, I would like to see how it compares to those I use now! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
At present, I believe OSK's 13" snagless are the closest in spec to what I recommend.
I had to send them back. They were longer than 13 in. And had over 2 inches of rod above the foam. Guess I am old school, I like my thumb to at least touch near the top of the handles.
IMG_1070.jpg

Living the Dream; One Nightmare at a Time.