KiteLife Forum

Travelling with Kites...

RobB

Hello,

I notice that alot of the experienced fliers have travelled all over the world to different events. My question is... how do you travel with your kites ? I would be scared to death to check my kite bag at the airport, especially these days with the 'homeland security' idiots pawing through everything. My kite bag is a soft bag, I haven't seen any with hard sides. Is there such a thing ?

Am I better off just buying another kite when I get to my destination, and ship it home when I'm done ? I trust UPS or USPS alot more than the security screeners and bagage handlers.

Thank you...

~Rob.

I use the "standard SKB hard case" when going international... You have to break your kites down all the way, but the case is bloody indestructible and has an unconditional lifetime warranty... Plus, it doubles as a lock box on the beach for your camera, or whatever.

For domestic travel... Despite multiple horror stories from others... I generally don't worry about my kites, since I've only ever had a couple of 2PT wrapped Skyshark rods break on me. My luck is very good, and I've been okay with Prism's full size rollup bag ("RUB").

I agree with John. I have the same SKB hard case John has. Works very very well.

The Prism RUB checks through very easily, never had a broken kite at destination. (John's SUL ULE is an exception) Also, I have been able to 'gate check' the RUB. However, I only try for this if I know I have time between flights to go back to baggage check if the gate personnel decline to accept it.

I do get some funny inquiries going through security screening with it! LOL

Good luck!

Theresa

Another great bit of travel info... If an airline ever gives you grief over the length of your travel bag, tell 'em it's sporting equipment!

All the airlines I have encountered have an exception clause for sporting gear... And certainly a $1,000 bag of kites qualifies!

I generally travel to events with $4K-$5K worth of gear, counting kites, lines and rods. :)

Granted, Rev rods are TOUGH... Especially when there's 10 kites worth.

That helps me too, since I've got about the same number of Revs packed in along side my dual line kites... Makes for a solid backbone.

Me thinks Rob needs more Revs.

FYI Rob, your Acrobatx went out on Tuesday via Priority Mail. :)

Hey All...

Thanks for the input... I really like the idea of the hard sided case. I have a standard kite duffle, about 5' long that holds 7 or 8 kites, with linesets in the side pockets. I just worry that it will get bent in half somehow. All of my larger kites have a two piece leading edge, so a 48" case should work fine.

The Acrobatx showed up yesterday (thurs), and I'm hoping for a chance to fly it this weekend. I'll post pictures for you ASAP.

Thanks again !

~Rob.

PVC or ABS tube, with the end caps Velcro'd in place. I check mine in, and it is always hand-carried to me at the baggage claim area. :)

Hey Dorsal,

I found build instructions for a PVC tube carrier on the AKA web site. I think I'm going to go that way, less than $20 and a couple of hours. The only problem with it is that it looks like a GIANT pipe bomb. I'm sure it raises some eyebrows at check-in.

~Rob.

• Like 1

I found build instructions for a PVC tube carrier on the AKA web site. I think I'm going to go that way, less than $20 and a couple of hours. The only problem with it is that it looks like a GIANT pipe bomb. I'm sure it raises some eyebrows at check-in.

The only thing to watch for with tubes is to make sure it doesn't roll, ie, square off a corner. I had one of those roll right off the baggage handling and it ended up lost for a day within the airport.

Works well tho!